Does Boise State Deserve a Chance at the National Championship?

Junior

If there was a playoff system in which 8 teams get in then they should be in there but under the current system where 2 teams play for the championship then the answer is no. When you play in a weak conference you need to play top teams in your non-conference schedule but they don't do that. By now it should be pretty clear that going undefeated with a weak schedule is not enough and it shouldn't be enough. Teams should get credit for playing tough schedules and should be penalized for playing weak ones.

If there was a playoff system in which 8 teams get in then they should be in there but under the current system where 2 teams play for the championship then the answer is no. When you play in a weak conference you need to play top teams in your non-conference schedule but they don't do that. By now it should be pretty clear that going undefeated with a weak schedule is not enough and it shouldn't be enough. Teams should get credit for playing tough schedules and should be penalized for playing weak ones.

I pretty much agree with the above.

I'm also not going to debate. There are good arguments on either side and I don't care enough. Plus, it's my opinion so NAHHHH!

Everyone wants to say yes, but this isnt the first year its happend. Utah, Auburn (twice), and I am sure there are others...

This is true. And I didn't seem to see the same outcry when Auburn went 12-0 against a much tougher schedule, simply because they are a major conference team and not as trendy and as much of a "feel good story" as Boise State.

That being said, this is a recurring problem that only a playoff can fix.

One solution is to have these non-bcs teams play tougher schedules. If Boise State had any nonconference games against some of the bigger programs, that would move them up in the rankings. One reason boise state wasnt ranked higher going into last nights game was because no one really knew how good they were. Let me just use Fresno State as an example. They play alot of very tough nonconference games. So if they were ever to go undefeated then you might see them ranked alot higher. Thats just my opinion.

Boise State played at Georgia last season and got smacked around. And they had a lot of the same players, granted one year younger.

That was the only reason we didn't have this same controversy last season, because Boise played against a fairly good Georgia team and lost.

If Ohio State wins, hell no.

If Florida wins, hell no.

Sorry, they're not in the National Title game.

BTW, I like this post. Just because all of these hypos that will never come true are killing my head.

So basically people want Boise State to play the big programs for their entire non conference schedule.

You need two to tango. Most big conference schools want cupcakes for their non conference schedule. They will never get the required non conference games in order to please people.

And they would also never get a non conference home game anytime soon neither.

Its as much the big schools fault as it is the small schools on this end.

Basically I hope it can be similar to this:

Top 8 ranked teams compete through a few rounds to determine the National title.

They can still have Bowl games and everything, so they don't lose any money. Heck, each round could be called some type of bowl.

Does this solve Boise State? no. But i think that this would be a good starting point or at least building block on the way to fixing this.

that is truth - not enough schools would schedule them, they can get 1-2 name teams from a power conference a year (and that is in a good year) and with then they would all be road games

most big schools don't need the game and have little to gain by it

well how do you think ESPN is so successful and popular? That's the way they do it.

Just adding to the fire.

So basically people want Boise State to play the big programs for their entire non conference schedule.

You need two to tango. Most big conference schools want cupcakes for their non conference schedule. They will never get the required non conference games in order to please people.

And they would also never get a non conference home game anytime soon neither.

Its as much the big schools fault as it is the small schools on this end.

Either cupcakes or BCS schools. A good "mid-major" is the nightmare of every BCS school.