Peavy charged with disorderly conduct

furcalchick

The Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala. -- Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct Thursday at Mobile Regional Airport.

The 25-year-old Mobile native was taken to the Mobile County Metro Jail shortly before 7 a.m. and was released on a $350 bond, according to the jail log.

Airport Police Chief James Kincaid would not say what led to Peavy's arrest, but told the Press-Register newspaper that "a situation presented itself and the officers involved felt like they had a situation to deal with."

Padres general manager Kevin Towers told The Associated Press he was told that Peavy was headed for a goodwill tour of the Dominican Republic with other Major League players when he double-parked to drop off his bags and was told by airport police to move his car.

"The airport police told him he couldn't park his car there and he said, 'Write me up a ticket and I'll pay for it,'" Towers said. "He was arrested."

A message left on Peavy's cell phone wasn't immediately returned. Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, didn't respond to an e-mail and a call to his cell phone.

Kincaid said the incident occurred around 5:20 a.m. just outside the terminal building.

Peavy has a career record of 57-45, all with the Padres. He was 11-14 with a 4.09 ERA last season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_mlb

has the world gone mad? first dontrelle and now peavy? for those who don't know, peavy is one of the nice guys in baseball, right up there with dontrelle, but looks like he did something stupid...i was hoping this was a prank. :thumbdown

The Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala. -- Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct Thursday at Mobile Regional Airport.

The 25-year-old Mobile native was taken to the Mobile County Metro Jail shortly before 7 a.m. and was released on a $350 bond, according to the jail log.

Airport Police Chief James Kincaid would not say what led to Peavy's arrest, but told the Press-Register newspaper that "a situation presented itself and the officers involved felt like they had a situation to deal with."

Padres general manager Kevin Towers told The Associated Press he was told that Peavy was headed for a goodwill tour of the Dominican Republic with other Major League players when he double-parked to drop off his bags and was told by airport police to move his car.

"The airport police told him he couldn't park his car there and he said, 'Write me up a ticket and I'll pay for it,'" Towers said. "He was arrested."

A message left on Peavy's cell phone wasn't immediately returned. Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, didn't respond to an e-mail and a call to his cell phone.

Kincaid said the incident occurred around 5:20 a.m. just outside the terminal building.

Peavy has a career record of 57-45, all with the Padres. He was 11-14 with a 4.09 ERA last season.

has the world gone mad? first dontrelle and now peavy? for those who don't know, peavy is one of the nice guys in baseball, right up there with dontrelle, but looks like he did something stupid...i was hoping this was a prank. :thumbdown

Peavy's not a bad guy, but he's not like Dontrelle or Glavine

The Associated Press

Wtf? Dontrelle got a DUI, Peavy was a lazy ass with alot of money and didn't want to move his car. Not even comaparable.

The Associated Press

Please this is not the same situation as Dontrelle. Also, nice guys are bound to f*** up. Peavy was just acting like a superstar, plain and simple.

I don't agree with someone doing whatever they want just because they have the money to pay the fines, but I also know that cops can be real a-holes when it comes to moving your car at the airport. I don't think what Peavy did was anything bad. If this article is accurate, he simply wanted to drop off his bags. I've done the same thing... Just sounds like the cop over reacted.

I asked my friend whose a cop, and Fines are only in effect to low income people, I mean those are the only people it'll affect, but guys like Peavy who can afford these small fines need to pay much more, and the cops saw an arrest as a perfect lesson for the major league pitcher. Just cause you have money doesn't give you the right to break a law, and believe it or not what Peavy did was break the law.

Sure, he broke the law... but it's not like he was sitting there, blasting his music with a blatant disregard for the law. He simply wanted to drop off his bags. This is one of those where I think a cop has to have a bit of common sense. If he tells Peavy to hurry it up and move on, I'm sure he doesn't have a problem. But I've had cops literally yelling at me, cause my car sat there for no more than 30 seconds. And they aren't nice about it either. They dont' give a crap why you're there. They just want you to move on. If Peavy was already frustrated over something else, I can see one of these cops just getting on his nerves, resulting in him just telling them to ticket him.

I understand what you mean, cops power trip all the damn time, but breaking the law is breaking the law. Here is an extreme example, It's new years I fired my guns in the air and it didn't hit anybody, a cop see's me am going to jail, cause although I didn't hit anyone I went ahead and broke the law by firing a loaded firearm. Catch my drift? He went and didn't listen to a direct order from an officer, if he wasn't there he'd get a ticket, but he was present, he should have moved that car, an airport is a place where you don't want to be breaking laws, especially after the SEP. 11 incident, security is tight now. Who knows maybe he parked in an area where Police feel is a danger to the people at the airport, he could have had a bomb, who knows what precaution they were following, am sure there is more to this story than meets the naked eye for now, we need to wait it out and see what re-surfaces, cause I know that this isn't the end. The only positive thing about this? It'll take some of the spotlight off Dontrelle Willis which is always good in my book!

I understand what you mean, cops power trip all the damn time, but breaking the law is breaking the law. Here is an extreme example, It's new years I fired my guns in the air and it didn't hit anybody, a cop see's me am going to jail, cause although I didn't hit anyone I went ahead and broke the law by firing a loaded firearm. Catch my drift? He went and didn't listen to a direct order from an officer, if he wasn't there he'd get a ticket, but he was present, he should have moved that car, an airport is a place where you don't want to be breaking laws, especially after the SEP. 11 incident, security is tight now. Who knows maybe he parked in an area where Police feel is a danger to the people at the airport, he could have had a bomb, who knows what precaution they were following, am sure there is more to this story than meets the naked eye for now, we need to wait it out and see what re-surfaces, cause I know that this isn't the end. The only positive thing about this? It'll take some of the spotlight off Dontrelle Willis which is always good in my book!

Firing your guns in the air is NOT the same thing as unloading your bags at the airport. I'm sorry. Not even remotely similar.

What Dontrelle did was legitimately wrong.

From the looks of the article, Peavy just showed a cop a little attitude. Big deal.

Hmmmmmm.

Let's break this down a little Juanky.

In the eyes of the law both of the offenses are misdemeanors punishable up to one year in prison. What if an unsuspecting elderly driver slammed into the back of Peavy's car because his vehicle was unattended and double parked? There are several other reasons why vehicles are not to be illlegaly parked at airports (terrorism to name one). :mischief

Our laws say what Peavy did was legitimately wrong (if he's convicted of course).

Firing your gun off and putting people in danger is comparable to not moving your car at the airport? :blink:

Also I dont see the public safety angle on this either. The bottom line is the cop was being overzealous and went on a power trip because Peavy was acting a little too arrogant

This wont take any heat off of Dontrelle. If this is all there is to this story (and I cant envision there being much more), nobody will remember it. The same cant be said about Dontrelle getting a DWI

Firing your gun off and putting people in danger is comparable to not moving your car at the airport? :blink:

Also I dont see the public safety angle on this either. The bottom line is the cop was being overzealous and went on a power trip because Peavy was acting a little too arrogant

This wont take any heat off of Dontrelle. If this is all there is to this story (and I cant envision there being much more), nobody will remember it. The same cant be said about Dontrelle getting a DWI

Wrong.

Will the Dontrelle DUI be remembered more in SoFla than the Peavy DOC? Yes.

Will the Peavy DOC be remembered more than the Dontrelle DUI in San Diego?. Yup

Its all relative.