Marlins, Cabrera fail to work out deal

Lane1974

My opinion is that without a stadium deal, Cabrera likely can't be signed to a long-term deal. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions on whether or not he'll be traded any time before he exhausts his pre-free agent status. As far as I'm concerned, one of the best baseball players in the world plays for the Marlins and I don't concern myself with anything else of the matter. Largely because I know it's out of my hands. It's in the hands of some smart people in both camps with their own agendas and situations that will likely change over the next 3 years.

I think you'll have a hard time finding an arbitrator that would reward Cabrera $10M right now. Remember the salary is to be based upon that of his peers of a similar age and contract status. As for why the team and Cabrera didn't split the difference, no one knows why either side did not compromise. It's probably fair to say that both sides thought they had something to gain, whether that be respect, having an impartial judge, testing their arguments, elimination of disputes over contract language or any number reasons related or unrelated to money.

When you are that close and you can't make a deal it's almost always because one party doesn't want to make a deal for reasons unrelated to the deal itself.

My money's on Cabrera's new team of advisors wanting to prove they are worth what he's paying them, and frankly I don't blame them. If I had half of baseball watching me I'd do the same thing. They've probably already gotten him a half million dollars over what his previous representation would have.

But this is a cakewalk. I bet both sides were laughing when they left the negotiating table. The only question is who bought the cognac. No one loses regardless of what the arbitrator says.

Trust me, Cabrera's representatives left confused for certain, in some ways, dumbfounded.

Uh huh

:lol

My opinion is that without a stadium deal, Cabrera likely can't be signed to a long-term deal. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions on whether or not he'll be traded any time before he exhausts his pre-free agent status. As far as I'm concerned, one of the best baseball players in the world plays for the Marlins and I don't concern myself with anything else of the matter. Largely because I know it's out of my hands. It's in the hands of some smart people in both camps with their own agendas and situations that will likely change over the next 3 years.

I think you'll have a hard time finding an arbitrator that would reward Cabrera $10M right now. Remember the salary is to be based upon that of his peers of a similar age and contract status. As for why the team and Cabrera didn't split the difference, no one knows why either side did not compromise. It's probably fair to say that both sides thought they had something to gain, whether that be respect, having an impartial judge, testing their arguments, elimination of disputes over contract language or any number reasons related or unrelated to money.

You're good at saying nothing. Your position 95% of the time is that there are many factors at play, some known and some unknown, and people make conclusions based on their own reasoning and needs. No sh*t Sherlock.

You're good at saying nothing. Your position 95% of the time is that there are many factors at play, some known and some unknown, and people make conclusions based on their own reasoning and needs. No sh*t Sherlock.

Yet the last point is lost on nearly everyone here, so I'll keep preaching.

It's really in Cabrera's best interest to seek arbitration. There's very little precedent for a player of his caliber, and the Marlins are more than likely low-balling with their offer. Going before the arbitrator sets his price not only this year, but gives him definitive numbers to negotiate with in the upcoming years.

Arbitration is not that big a deal as everyone wants to think it is. This post is probably the closest to the truth. Last numbers I heard the Marlins were offering was in the $5.5 mil range (Marlins web site guess). Miggy's agent probably wants something closer to DTrains contract, maybe just a tad over. He will probably get that but I doubt very much he is asking $8-9 mil. Somehow a thread about him heading into arbitration has turned into him being traded and a name calling free for all against Loria. Over-reaction is too mild a term for that. Relax people.

I don't think anybody, much less everyone, has said that arbitration itself is a big deal. I just don't like the fact that we failed to come to terms with Cabrera. And in the particular situation that the Marlins find themselves in, the implications and uncertainty can not be avoided or laughed at, unless you're a hopeless optimist or the village idiot. They deserve a healthy debate.

Well without the name calling I stand by my statement. It's not that big a deal. And it is something we all expected, or should have. Miggy isn't going anywhere. He has a right to take it to arbitration. And he should. For posters to automatically start talking about him leaving and start the name calling free for all on the FO is just rediculous(sp). But whatever. I'm sure that when it is all over those that were doing the name calling and end of the world as we know it attitude will be back saying they were wrong and apologizing for all the name calling. (That's called "sarcasm")

An industry source with knowledge of the negotiations said the Marlins offered Cabrera $6.6 million as early as this [January 16]morning.

Palm Beach Post

I always liked that "an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations" reference. Means nothing. I'll go with what was reported before at $5.5 mil. But it matters not. We will soon find out what was offered and what he is wanting.

Miggy has shown in the past he can be pretty egotistical. And he has been VERY underpaid the past couple years. Going to be interesting to see what happens in Feb.

Well *MB*, this paranoia that they brought Boone in so they could trade Cabrera is so beyond the pale...I mean really how could you think that.

And *MVP* in your book anyone who isn't a rabid hater is I suppose an apologist. The bottom-line is no one loses here not when they are $700,000 apart and the low number is already higher than anyone thought in the first place. You don't even have a basic understanding of what happened today, that's obvious.

So you understand and based on what's been reported the two sides exchanged numbers today. Exchanging numbers is an intregal part of the arbitration process.

Those numbers are now frozen, they CAN'T change. The only thing that could change those numbers is if they settle before arbitration. Cabrera cannot now come in at $10 million, it doesn't work that way. But why not let hate get in the way of the facts? You really have no fundamental understanding of how this process works and you're letting your mind play tricks on you.

The worst case scenario is the Marlins pay $7.4 million. Not a penny more.

The numbers appear to be higher than I would have thought the Marlins offered. And I figured Cabs at just a tad over what DTrain got. If those numbers are real then I would think Cabs may win in arbitration. Mainly because of how much he has been underpaid and what he brings to the team with his bat. If he continues with his improvement with his glove then next year could get a little touchy come this time. But the team will also have more to spend with a stadium being built.

And check it out. The sun still came up this morning.

LOL Not everybody. The negotiations may have come to a standstill over something trivial. The language of the contract. Bonus money. Whatever. And it seems apparent that neither side wanted to budge anymore than they already have. First reports were the Marlins offered $5.5 mil. Now it is up to 6.7 mil. That's a big concession to a team that is strapped for cash at a time when they think securing the long term health of the franchise in South Florida is far more important than putting a player on the field so 14K people can watch him. We don't even know if Cabs side did any negotiating with the salary or just said, "This is what we want. Give it to us or else."

DTrain was hugely praised on this board for not going to arbitration and accepting what was offered at the last moment. And yet the Marlins are being bashed for not giving into Miggy's camp and giving him everything he wants. Seems rather two faced to me. Especially on something as trivial as arbitration. Going to be interesting to see how it ends up and then read the comments that come out of the doomsday prognosticators.

Little blurb from an MLB.com article:

Another attention-grabber is Miguel Cabrera of the Florida Marlins, eligible for salary arbitration for the first time. He made $472,000 last season and is in store for a huge raise. He submitted a figure for $7.4 million while the Marlins countered at $6.7 million.

Numbers really weren't that far off.. I expected a bigger difference. I dont think this will effect the relationship between each other. Cabrera will get his cash and move on and have another HUGE YEAR!

Little blurb from an MLB.com article:

Another attention-grabber is Miguel Cabrera of the Florida Marlins, eligible for salary arbitration for the first time. He made $472,000 last season and is in store for a huge raise. He submitted a figure for $7.4 million while the Marlins countered at $6.7 million.

Numbers really weren't that far off.. I expected a bigger difference. I dont think this will effect the relationship between each other. Cabrera will get his cash and move on and have another HUGE YEAR!

wow i thought they would be a lot futher apart, shouldnt be too messy.

LOL Not everybody. The negotiations may have come to a standstill over something trivial. The language of the contract. Bonus money. Whatever. And it seems apparent that neither side wanted to budge anymore than they already have. First reports were the Marlins offered $5.5 mil. Now it is up to 6.7 mil. That's a big concession to a team that is strapped for cash at a time when they think securing the long term health of the franchise in South Florida is far more important than putting a player on the field so 14K people can watch him. We don't even know if Cabs side did any negotiating with the salary or just said, "This is what we want. Give it to us or else."

DTrain was hugely praised on this board for not going to arbitration and accepting what was offered at the last moment. And yet the Marlins are being bashed for not giving into Miggy's camp and giving him everything he wants. Seems rather two faced to me. Especially on something as trivial as arbitration. Going to be interesting to see how it ends up and then read the comments that come out of the doomsday prognosticators.

Maybe they were "strapped for cash" with a 65 mill. payroll. Based on many accounts, taking the overall payroll last year and this year, are they really "strapped for cash"?-but BB27, that is really another thread subject, one that has been beaten up too much already-BUT- I had to say it.

The Sentinel's article is much more complete...as usual :rolleyes:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spm...la-sports-front

Cabrera will cash in big

Arbitration could net star up to $7.4 million

By Juan C. Rodriguez

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

January 17, 2007

That the Marlins and Miguel Cabrera couldn't come to terms Tuesday and avoid arbitration is irrelevant.

Win or lose his hearing next month, Cabrera will be among baseball's all-time highest-paid position players at his level of service time (three to four years).

Arbitration-eligible for the first time, Cabrera this season will earn no less than $6.7 million, the figure the Marlins submitted. If his new SFX representatives win the case, Cabrera will receive a staggering $7.4 million.

At worst, Cabrera will get a 1,319 percent pay increase. Should the three-person arbitration panel side with Cabrera, who last season made $472,000, his pay would grow by 1,468 percent.

In that case, the only player who has earned more at the same level of service time would be Hideki Matsui ($13 million). Considering Matsui arrived in the U.S. as an established Japanese talent, that's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

What have others made entering their fourth year of major league service time? Albert Pujols received $7 million as part of the $100 million deal he signed in 2004 to avoid arbitration. Mark Teixeira got $6 million as part of a two-year, $15.6 million contract with the Rangers that bought out his first two seasons of arbitration eligibility.

A few others: Ichiro Suzuki ($6.5 million), Alfonso Soriano ($5.4 million), Derek Jeter ($5 million), Adam Dunn ($4.6 million) and Andruw Jones ($3.7 million).

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the Marlins' last offer to Cabrera was $6.6 million. That would have made him the franchise's highest-paid player in 2007, ahead of Dontrelle Willis ($6.45 million).

Cabrera won't be the only Marlin going before the arbiters. Newly acquired reliever Kevin Gregg did not come to terms either. He wants $700,000; the Marlins came in at $575,000.

This isn't the first time the Marlins traded for a pitcher and immediately took him to arbitration. Before the 2003 season, Mark Redman did not come to terms before the exchange date and the arbiters ruled in his favor. That same year the Marlins won their cases against A.J. Burnett and Vladimir Nunez.

The only other time the Marlins have gone to arbitration with a player was under former General Manager Dave Dombrowski in 1999, when Charles Johnson beat them.

The Marlins did sign their other arbitration-eligible player, giving catcher Miguel Olivo a one-year, $2 million deal. Olivo can earn an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses, receiving the full amount if he starts 130 games.

Copyright ? 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

i think this just shows how hard it will be to sign him next year or give him a contract.. would the marlins really pay someone almost 200 million $$?

If he continues progress with his glove he will earn a good raise next year. It's not going to be hard to sign him. He really has no choice. But the amount and his representation will probably mean another trip to the arbitration panel. No biggie. I doubt the Marlins break their MO and sign him long term after this season but stranger things have happened.

i think this just shows how hard it will be to sign him next year or give him a contract.. would the marlins really pay someone almost 200 million $?

really doubt it. With or without a new stadium, this ownership group won't commit that kind of money for a single player.

Miguel won't a Marlin past 2008