Shin-Soo Choo

Iowa

With Cleveland signing Trot Nixon, Cleveland now has 86 OFs (Sizemore, Dellucci, Michaels, Blake, Nixon).. I wonder if Choo could be had? Don't know much about him but very impressive numbers at all levels. Can he play CF? From the blurbs I've read, it sounds like hes a plus defender. Would be a nice looking LH bat to have in the lineup. Could a deal with Cleveland be made?

Wouldn't mind getting him at all. His best defense is in RF...not sure if he could handle DS. Trevor Crowe is still there as well and blocked....especially after their 2B experiment failed. In any case they have some awesome platoon options at the corners.

Indians Sign Trot Nixon

Despite recent interest from the Pirates, the Indians signed right fielder Trot Nixon for one year and $3MM. Even with Nixon on the decline, it's hard not to like the signing for the Tribe. The Indians already have a decent RF in Shin-Soo Choo, but this provides some depth and strong defense.

A Nixon/Choo platoon probably wouldn't make sense - looking at the splits for both players, neither can hit lefties. However, Casey Blake can play right when the Indians face a southpaw.

The Tribe will have roughly 1800 ABs to go around for Blake, Nixon, Choo, Ryan Garko, David Dellucci, Jason Michaels, and Franklin Gutierrez. Perhaps a trade is in order.

mlbtraderumors.com

These are all corner guys I believe...not sure if Choo/Franklin can play CF. May just be that Sizemore is in CF.

Whats their rotation?

1. Sabathia

2. Sowers

3. Lee

4. Westbrook

5. Bird

I'm not familiar with Clevelands minor league system but I do know they have Adam Miller waiting in the wings and Carmona and Cabrera in the pen. You have to about guarantee Bird wont be back next year and I don't know if they bring back Westbrook.. so you might think they would want to get some young arms for Choo, who looks to not get much playing time at all... because they're pretty much set everywhere else.

Thoughts?

Whats their rotation?

1. Sabathia

2. Sowers

3. Lee

4. Westbrook

5. Bird

I'm not familiar with Clevelands minor league system but I do know they have Adam Miller waiting in the wings and Carmona and Cabrera in the pen. You have to about guarantee Bird wont be back next year and I don't know if they bring back Westbrook.. so you might think they would want to get some young arms for Choo, who looks to not get much playing time at all... because they're pretty much set everywhere else.

Thoughts?

I have a crazy Indians friend and he anticipate that after this season: Westbrook, Byrd, Blake, Borowski, R. Hernandez, Foulke, and now Nixon, will all be off the team. That's about 40 billion dollars in salary, so the idea is they will give massive deals to CC and Hafner, bring up Miller to be one of the other starters, have Grady/Dellucci/Michaels in the OF with Choo, Guitterez as possible replacements (or in a best case scenario for Cleveland, Crowe or Barton is MLB ready 2008), Garko/Vmart replace Blake at 1B (because Shoppach will start playing more catcher), and then use all additional money towards the bullpen, maybe a platoon OF for RF on a 1 year deal, and a solid 5th SP if their system can't produce one - carmona, sipp, lofgren, etc. Cleveland is in really good shape.

I think Choo or Guitterez can be had right now for RP that will be able to slot into Cleveland's pen next year. Is that a better idea then dealing away 2-3 pitchers for Rocco or Upton? I doubt it, but if Beinfest isn't willing to make the splash, this could be a relatively low cost move that could help a lot. He can play CF even if he profiles more of a RF. He'd be fine there for a year or two, before succumbing to his career path as a good 4th OF. Both of which are useful to us.

Whats their rotation?

1. Sabathia

2. Sowers

3. Lee

4. Westbrook

5. Bird

Thoughts?

I have a crazy Indians friend and he anticipate that after this season: Westbrook, Byrd, Blake, Borowski, R. Hernandez, Foulke, and now Nixon, will all be off the team. That's about 40 billion dollars in salary, so the idea is they will give massive deals to CC and Hafner, bring up Miller to be one of the other starters, have Grady/Dellucci/Michaels in the OF with Choo, Guitterez as possible replacements (or in a best case scenario for Cleveland, Crowe or Barton is MLB ready 2008), Garko/Vmart replace Blake at 1B (because Shoppach will start playing more catcher), and then use all additional money towards the bullpen, maybe a platoon OF for RF on a 1 year deal, and a solid 5th SP if their system can't produce one - carmona, sipp, lofgren, etc. Cleveland is in really good shape.

I think Choo or Guitterez can be had right now for RP that will be able to slot into Cleveland's pen next year. Is that a better idea then dealing away 2-3 pitchers for Rocco or Upton? I doubt it, but if Beinfest isn't willing to make the splash, this could be a relatively low cost move that could help a lot. He can play CF even if he profiles more of a RF. He'd be fine there for a year or two, before succumbing to his career path as a good 4th OF. Both of which are useful to us.

I prefer Trevor Crowe by a country mile

Choo can play some CF, but his primary spot is RF. He has an absolute cannon for an arm. Their OF is Sizemore in CF and then any combo of Dellucci/Nixon/Michaels/Choo in LF/RF. Casey Blake is playing 1B, either outright or splitting with Garko.

All that said, Cleveland's not going to trade Choo. They're high on him and just protecting his development with depth around him. It's not like they signed Nixon long-term. If Choo hits, he'll get most of the playing time. Gutierrez is the odd man out, he's not even going to make the team, he'll be the one they deal if anyone. They don't have any glaring need to address and I'm pretty sure Franklin has an option left. They feel they've fixed their bullpen with Borowski, Foulke, Hernandez and Fultz. It's not like we have any short inning guys we can part with anyway. They could use someone to insure Paul Byrd, who struggled last season, but I don't know if that's something they're definitely trying to address. Most of their big time pitching are 08 maybes and Westbrook is a FA at the end of the year. If so, we're a good trading partner for them and Shapiro is pretty reasonable to deal with. It could be a good fit.

But I'd cross Choo off, it's not going to happen. They have zero reason to trade him and they like him. I'm all for Franklin Gutierrez though. He's not a 100% lock to be the answer, but he's a solid bet.

Any thoughts as to why Gutierrez didn't even attempt to steal a single base during the 43 games he played in? Does he not have speed?

Here are his Minor league and Major league stats from this past season:

Minor: 90 Games .278 Avg., 9 HR's, 38 RBI, 49 BB, 84 SO, 13 SB, 8 CS, .373 OBP, .433 SLG, .806 OPS

Major: 43 Games .272 Avg., 1 HR, 8 RBI, 3 BB, 28 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .288 OBP, .360 SLG, .648 OPS

Winter League: 35 Games .282 Avg., 2 HR, 13 RBI, 10 BB, 26 SO, 3 SB, 2 CS, .340 OBP, .374 SLG, .714 OPS

Choo can play some CF, but his primary spot is RF. He has an absolute cannon for an arm. Their OF is Sizemore in CF and then any combo of Dellucci/Nixon/Michaels/Choo in LF/RF. Casey Blake is playing 1B, either outright or splitting with Garko.

All that said, Cleveland's not going to trade Choo. They're high on him and just protecting his development with depth around him. It's not like they signed Nixon long-term. If Choo hits, he'll get most of the playing time. Gutierrez is the odd man out, he's not even going to make the team, he'll be the one they deal if anyone. They don't have any glaring need to address and I'm pretty sure Franklin has an option left. They feel they've fixed their bullpen with Borowski, Foulke, Hernandez and Fultz. It's not like we have any short inning guys we can part with anyway. They could use someone to insure Paul Byrd, who struggled last season, but I don't know if that's something they're definitely trying to address. Most of their big time pitching are 08 maybes and Westbrook is a FA at the end of the year. If so, we're a good trading partner for them and Shapiro is pretty reasonable to deal with. It could be a good fit.

But I'd cross Choo off, it's not going to happen. They have zero reason to trade him and they like him. I'm all for Franklin Gutierrez though. He's not a 100% lock to be the answer, but he's a solid bet.

I think he's available with the right offer, but it might be more then were willing to do. Guiterrez should be much cheaper. However, Choo isn't going to be on the 25 man roster to be given a chance to "hit." Guiterrez was already the odd man out, now it's Choo. Cleveland has three platoons set up - Dellucci/Michaels in LF, Blake/Garko at 1B, and Nixon/Blake in RF. Unless they carry 11 pitchers, or drop Luna or Inglett, all of which I doubt, Choo is in AAA unless someone gets injured. We still match up best with Tampa Bay, but Cleveland isn't to bad for a lower cost option.