Giants and Dolphins to play in London on October 28

yankeefan21

MIAMI (Ticker) - The NFL is heading across the pond.

The league announced Friday that the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants will meet in a regular-season game in London next season.

The historic contest will be played at the new 90,000-seat Wembley Stadium on October 28 at noon EST. The game will be televised by Fox.

Miami has been designated the home team, meaning it will play seven games at Dolphin Stadium next season rather than the normal eight.

"The international popularity of the NFL grows each year," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "That interest will be seen as the far corners of the world watch the Super Bowl this Sunday. That is a fascination we will build upon. London and its international stature adds to the game."

London mayor Ken Livingstone was on hand for the announcement of the game at the Super Bowl media center.

"We are expecting around 10,000 American fans to travel to London to watch this game as well as people from Europe," Livingstone said. "There will be 60 million TV viewers in the U.S. alone, so it will be a great opportunity to showcase London to new visitors and for people to see the way we uniquely enjoy our sport."

Among those in attendance at Friday's news conference were new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron and Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor to go along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, the younger brother of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and Giants defensive end Michael Strahan.

NFL owners voted last October to play up to two games outside the United States every year for the next five years, with just one game to be played in 2007.

"Needless to say, we are enthused and excited to be part of this historic event," Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga said. "This event is not great for just the UK, but all of Europe."

"We are extremely excited and proud to take our team and product across the pond," Giants executive Jonathan Tisch said.

At the conclusion of the news conference, Huizenga and Tisch presented Livingstone with jerseys of their respective teams.

Huizenga also was not concerned about the travel to London for his team. A flight from Miami to London should take around six hours, a little more than a trip from South Florida to the West Coast.

"We'll treat it as an away game like Seattle or San Francisco," Huizenga said. "I don't think it will be a big deal at all."

When to travel to the UK for the game is up to the individual teams. Both teams will have their annual bye the following week.

The NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States in 2005 when 103,467 people saw the Arizona Cardinals play the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City - the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

NFL Europa failed to take root in Britain, which now has no teams in that league. However, Goodell said there is still a huge NFL fan base in Britain, with many of the league's supporters having watched the game when American football was broadcast on terrestrial television in the 1980s.

Another reason for the game being popular in Britain was that fans were able to watch the-then defending Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears and players like Walter Payton and William "The Refrigerator" Perry perform at Wembley in a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys in 1986.

source

The dolphins said they were going to try and put packages together for fans who wanted to go to the game. I just checked on expedia and the cheapest I found was $763 for nonstop flight and 3 nights hotel. Airlines havent done with fall sales yet (you have to wait until august). So I suspect the packages will be cheaper.

LONDON -- The NFL's first regular-season game outside North America already looks like a big hit.

More than 500,000 tickets were requested by about 160,000 fans in the three days following Friday's official announcement, the NFL said Wednesday.

The ticket request process ends Feb. 18, two months before tickets go on sale for the Oct. 28 game between the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Wembley is expecting to seat between 85,000-90,000 for the game.

"Nearly all these requests have come from UK based fans," said Alistair Kirkwood, the managing director of NFL UK. "These figures do not take into account the allocation of tickets for Dolphins and Giants fans from the United States, so we anticipate a very quick sellout when tickets go on sale in early March."

On Sunday, more than 4,000 fans gathered in London to watch the Super Bowl at Super Bash, which is in its fourth year.

• 3 months later...

Tickets went on sale this morning, and I bagged 2. Pretty expensive ?45 to ?90 ($85 to $170).

they sold 40,000 in 90 min. I read that tickets go on sale in the US in a week or so.

I'd be pretty irritated if I was a Dolphins season ticket holder.

All the major sports need to stop this huge global entertainment corporation they are trying to create.

Then this wont make you happy...

(I dont know if you saw)

But the nfl will discuss this offseason about changing one preseason game into a regular season game and playing that overseas. So there would be 16 games in different countries every year.

I think that might be a little too much.

Tickets went on sale this morning, and I bagged 2. Pretty expensive ?45 to ?90 ($85 to $170).

they sold 40,000 in 90 min. I read that tickets go on sale in the US in a week or so.

I'd be pretty irritated if I was a Dolphins season ticket holder.

All the major sports need to stop this huge global entertainment corporation they are trying to create.

Then this wont make you happy...

(I dont know if you saw)

But the nfl will discuss this offseason about changing one preseason game into a regular season game and playing that overseas. So there would be 16 games in different countries every year.

I think that might be a little too much.

I think that's OK. The players may not like it, but we still get 16 games in the US, 8 on the road, 8 away. The way they're doing it now, they've basically stolen a game from the Dolphins fans, stolen a home game from the Dolphins, and spared the Giants a road game. If the Giants beat us in London, and sneak into the playoffs by a game, I think any team they beat out would have a legitimate beef with the NFL.

Just like the saints "home game" in giants stadium before

if I was the dolphins I would be pissed too the Giants are rarely here and when they are it is big time income

The Dolphins will still get big time income from this game and we won't have to worry about the douchy Giant fans who live in South Florida trying to fill up our stadium. Even in South Florida, Giant fans would try to make this a nuetral game so it's a good game to outsource.

The Dolphins will still get big time income from this game and we won't have to worry about the douchy Giant fans who live in South Florida trying to fill up our stadium. Even in South Florida, Giant fans would try to make this a nuetral game so it's a good game to outsource.

Yup. The Giants don't play here often, so I would almost expect there to be more Giants fans in the stands than Dolphins fans.

Playing the game elsewhere saves us from what would almost certainly have been an embarrassing scene.

I'd expect the crowd in London to be much more pro-Giants than pro-Dolphins, but I don't think they'll care too much one way or the other about the individual teams.

Who cares about about a game on a neutral field? Sorry FishFan79, but this isn't like the Saints playing a "home game" against the Giants in the Meadowlands; the Saints were clearly on hostile turf. This turf is easily as neutral as you can get.

More importantly, this should really have more of a Super Bowl atmosphere. 90,000 fans? That's awesome. My only beef is; why England? How many Brits do you see in the NFL? Canada or even Australia would seem to make way more sense.

Who cares about about a game on a neutral field? Sorry FishFan79, but this isn't like the Saints playing a "home game" against the Giants in the Meadowlands; the Saints were clearly on hostile turf. This turf is easily as neutral as you can get.

More importantly, this should really have more of a Super Bowl atmosphere. 90,000 fans? That's awesome. My only beef is; why England? How many Brits do you see in the NFL? Canada or even Australia would seem to make way more sense.

It may be TV reasons, timing and such like, the 5PM kick off is mid-day ET, and 9am PT, so its accessible.

The new Wembley is amazing, and it WILL sell out. I think that there is quite a large fan base in the UK, the Superbowl is always high in the ratings, even the World Series draws over 100k over here, which believe me for Channel 5 in the middle of the night is staggering.

I am not sure about 16 games abroad though, as I said previously the tickets are extremely expensive in comparison with other events, and there was a lot of complaints for the pricing of FA cup final tickets at Wembley, and they were much cheaper. Any more than a one off and the prices will have to drop dramatically.

The game will be neutral in all honesty, they have chosen the 2 markets which Britons frequent most often, but I will be supporting the Dolphins.

They were talking about doing 4 games in 4 different cities, and offering season packages and the like. It's the best "let's go international" idea I've heard in any sport, since it should affect all teams pretty much equally. The only thing I worry about is the feeling that it cheapens the regular season a bit. There's always been a sense that every game is important, but if the NFL is willing to throw teams all over the world in the name of money, then how seriously are we supposed to take this stuff?

It may be TV reasons, timing and such like, the 5PM kick off is mid-day ET, and 9am PT, so its accessible.

The new Wembley is amazing, and it WILL sell out. I think that there is quite a large fan base in the UK, the Superbowl is always high in the ratings, even the World Series draws over 100k over here, which believe me for Channel 5 in the middle of the night is staggering.

I am not sure about 16 games abroad though, as I said previously the tickets are extremely expensive in comparison with other events, and there was a lot of complaints for the pricing of FA cup final tickets at Wembley, and they were much cheaper. Any more than a one off and the prices will have to drop dramatically.

The game will be neutral in all honesty, they have chosen the 2 markets which Britons frequent most often, but I will be supporting the Dolphins.

I am sure there are several reasons why they picked London. Its only a 6 hour flight from NY and 10 from miami (both can be made non stop). There is only a 5 hour time zone difference so the game can be shown on tv. There is a lot of interest in the nfl in the UK as well. All 40,000 tickets that went on sale today sold out.

I think canada will cetrainly get games in the future. I think they wanted to make a bigger splash, so they picked london. It would be awesome if they played a game in Australia. However it would have to be two west coast teams because it would be 19 hours of travel for east coast teams. If they do play a game in Australia it would have to be on a monday (and a holiday) so that they could get the game on at a decent hour for everyone in the US. So if they had a noon start in Melboune, it could be sunday night football back in the US. The nfl will allow up to two games abroad each season, so I would assume we will see one game in canada next season and one in europe.

I think playing 16 games abroad a year might be a little too much. I dont know how much interest there would be. I know Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Berlin, London, Frankfrut and Munich would have no problem hosting games. You would be hardpressed to find other cities that would have as much interest in the NFL than those 7.

Those middle of the night WS games are tough indeed. I was in Scotland during the '97 WS and basically I had to put toothpicks in my eyelids to stay awake. I was there for work so I couldn't sleep durign the day.

I went to a Giants / Dolphins game probably around '93 or '94 and I remember a big chunk of the crowd was rooting for the Giants. Many more than when the Jets are here. I guess the Dolphins are losing a home game but the Giants playing at DS would be pretty much a neutral game anyways.

It would be awesome if they played a game in Australia. However it would have to be two west coast teams because it would be 19 hours of travel for east coast teams...

I know Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Berlin, London, Frankfrut and Munich would have no problem hosting games.

Yeah, that's the big problem with the Asian/Australian market. When it takes you a full day to get there, and the time change being what it is, it really messes with the players. I know it was tough on the Yanks and DRays after their opening series in Tokyo in 2003.

It would be awesome if they played a game in Australia. However it would have to be two west coast teams because it would be 19 hours of travel for east coast teams...

I know Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Berlin, London, Frankfrut and Munich would have no problem hosting games.

Yeah, that's the big problem with the Asian/Australian market. When it takes you a full day to get there, and the time change being what it is, it really messes with the players. I know it was tough on the Yanks and DRays after their opening series in Tokyo in 2003.

Yep, and those were east coast teams so they had some extra time zones to adjust to, as well as some extra hours of flying. However it could work in the nfl if teams got a bye week after the game, just as the giants and dolphins are getting. I believe Australia is 14 hours ahead. So if its noon there its 10pm here or something like that. If they played the game on a holiday in Australia (where it can be played during the day) then the came could be on tv as sunday night football in the US.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.