FO disappointed Cabrera skipped Fanfest

So in a series of negotiations, when TWO parties are involved, only one is wrong when there's such an "obvious" solution? Both sides unwilling to move, yet only one is wrong...yup, makes PERFECT sense.

Isn't that your (and many other people's) argument?

Quite the contrary, our argument is based around a foolish FACT, not a crazy conspiracy theory. The only FACT here is that the Marlins do no negotiate after exchanging figures, something that is absurdly foolish. The other side bases around a wild conspiracy theory that SFX is whispering sweet nothings into Miguel's ear telling him to no-show, when in fact SFX even had no idea where he was and passed around the Sun-Sentinel article in their offices as a WTF?

I'd say the argument is based on the delusion that whatever a super star wants, he deserves.

IN MY OPINION

No-show puts Marlins, Cabrera in a bad light

By GREG COTE

[email protected]

NO-SHOW: Third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is set to face the Marlins in arbitration over contract terms, failed to show up to the team's FanFest this weekend.

HECTOR GABINO / EL NUEVO HERALD

NO-SHOW: Third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is set to face the Marlins in arbitration over contract terms, failed to show up to the team's FanFest this weekend.

Leave it to the Marlins to make a tempest of an event as benign as FanFest. Even the name of the annual ceremonial christening of spring training is happy, evocative of a celebration. Of smiling baseball players and adoring fans skipping arm in arm across the diamond through cavorting Mermaids and minstrels.

Outfielders Josh Willingham and Joe Borchard were handing out doughnuts to fans who arrived early and aligned outside Dolphin Stadium -- FanFest personified. Sunshine, goodwill and optimism filled the air.

MISSING IN ACTION

Then the team's best player and biggest star, Miguel Cabrera, decided he would be the only notable no-show, only as conspicuous by his absence as a missing front tooth in a big smile.

Then the club's management decided to beam a spotlight on the matter by publicly blasting Cabrera.

Bad and bad.

Cabrera should have been here. There is nothing to mitigate that save for a personal crisis that would have prevented him, which apparently wasn't the case. Sure, the player's living in Venezuela required more planning and effort from him than from a Marlin living locally. Then again, the money Cabrera will be paid this season -- an arbitrator Friday will decide whether that's $7.4 million or a mere $6.7 million -- buys a whole lot of effort, one would think.

And yes, it is about money to a degree. About living up to one's stature and obligation. In the Marlins' orbit, Cabrera is Dwyane Wade. He's Jason Taylor. He is someone whose talent and commensurate salary give him a position of leadership that magnifies his going AWOL from an annual fan event.

Cabrera turned his back on Marlins fans in this instance, and on a franchise whose abysmal attendance suggests that growing the fan base and currying favor with your most loyal supporters is far more important here than in most major-league environs.

Hard to decide, though, whether the star third baseman blowing off FanFest was any worse than Marlins president David Samson's overreaction to it.

Cabrera also skipped FanFest two years ago, and it hardly raised a blip on the screen. This time, though, it became a controversy because Samson made it one.

RAISING A FUSS

''[Owner Jeffrey Loria]and the rest of us are very disappointed that he's not here with every one of his teammates,'' Samson said, adding that Cabrera owed an explanation to fans.

As an aside, we might mention that Loria didn't attend FanFest, either. But the point is that Samson calling Cabrera out publicly seemed such an unnecessary tweak at the young star that it made you wonder, ''Why?'' What was the motivation?

A theory floats in the baseball media that the penny-pinching Marlins will trade Cabrera after this season because his salary (sure to grow into the $12 million range in 2008) will be become too much for this ownership to bear. And the idea is that any negative perception of Cabrera -- that he can be selfish, for example, or immature -- might ease the pain of his certain departure.

The club's dour prediction of continued low payrolls also is why pitcher Dontrelle Willis, the only other Marlin making big money, is sure to be the subject of trade rumors again. Anyone who doubts D-Train might be in another uniform before season's end hasn't been paying attention to the ardor with which the Loria ownership works to save a buck.

What must frustrate a Marlins fan is that other so-called small-market, low-revenue clubs seem to lock up their best players in a way that eludes this ownership. Latest example: The Twins signing AL batting champ Joe Mauer to a four-year, $33 million deal.

Why couldn't the Marlins have done something similar with Cabrera to avoid the specter of arbitration and the sort of management-star relationship that might lead a player to thumb his nose at FanFest?

Marlins fans who remain die-hards may proudly count themselves among the best fans in sports for putting up with all they have and still coming back.

This is the club that fired the NL Manager of the Year.

The club taking longer to realize a new stadium than it took the Egyptians to build the Great Pyramid.

The club whose stubborn insistence on the majors' lowest payroll prevented the offseason signing of a quality center fielder or closer and makes likely eventual casualties of big-check guys Cabrera and Willis.

Bless those Marlins fans who are able to wear blinders against everything else and see only the diamond, and have enough stubborn hope to only see it shining.

Pretty much captures the essence of why it sucks to be us right now.

Pretty much captures the essence of why it sucks to be us right now.

It may suck being you, but don' t pretend to speak for the rest of us.

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming season. But please, keep wallowing in your hate and fractured english, it's kinda fun :)

It's amazing the perverse pleasure you get from attempting to demean me. Keep on chugging along in your meaningless pathetic existence. If all you get is pleasure from perceived pain, it truly is a pity to be you.

I honestly feel sorry for you, and anyone that has to look to you as a role model.

So in a series of negotiations, when TWO parties are involved, only one is wrong when there's such an "obvious" solution? Both sides unwilling to move, yet only one is wrong...yup, makes PERFECT sense.

Isn't that your (and many other people's) argument?

Quite the contrary, our argument is based around a foolish FACT, not a crazy conspiracy theory. The only FACT here is that the Marlins do no negotiate after exchanging figures, something that is absurdly foolish. The other side bases around a wild conspiracy theory that SFX is whispering sweet nothings into Miguel's ear telling him to no-show, when in fact SFX even had no idea where he was and passed around the Sun-Sentinel article in their offices as a WTF?

SFX had no idea where he was?? I highly doubt that. Unless of course they mean they didn't know if he was at the store, his front yard, or something of that nature. Arby hearing on the horizon, new $$$ machine for their company, and they don't know where he is? If that were absolutely true then Cabs needs a new agency.

The Marlins policy of not negotiating salary after arbitration numbers have been submitted is very foolish. That's almost as foolish as Bush's policy of never talking to our enemies.

Depends on how you look at things I guess. I tend to agree they should keep negotiations open but they may look at their record in arby cases and see it the other way.

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

By BARRY [email protected]

CHATTER

? Two close associates say Miguel Cabrera, who will be in Arizona for Friday's arbitration hearing, missed FanFest because he wanted to spend more time at his home in Venezuela and avoid the hassles of extra traveling, not because he's fuming over arbitration. But Cabrera's camp won't be surprised if the Marlins broach his FanFest absence during the hearing. . . . No, Florida never gave serious thought to pursuing Yankees free agent center fielder Bernie Williams, who's waiting out New York. But the Marlins were very disappointed about not getting center fielder Darin Erstad, who preferred the Chicago White Sox despite a similar financial offer from Florida ($1 million range).

Miami Herald

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

CHATTER

? Two close associates say Miguel Cabrera, who will be in Arizona for Friday's arbitration hearing, missed FanFest because he wanted to spend more time at his home in Venezuela and avoid the hassles of extra traveling, not because he's fuming over arbitration. But Cabrera's camp won't be surprised if the Marlins broach his FanFest absence during the hearing. . . . No, Florida never gave serious thought to pursuing Yankees free agent center fielder Bernie Williams, who's waiting out New York. But the Marlins were very disappointed about not getting center fielder Darin Erstad, who preferred the Chicago White Sox despite a similar financial offer from Florida ($1 million range).

Miami Herald

So the word is Cabrera wanted to spend more time with family in Venezuela and wanted to avoid the hassle of travelling back to Florida? I am sure this won't change the minds of those who foisted/believe the whole SFX conspiracy theory on this board that this was nothing more than Cabrera flexing his muscles and showing the team who is boss. But it is good to hear Cabrera's side of the story (albeit secondhand). Which is why Samson should have kept his mouth shut in the first place. Instead, he ends up looking like more of a schmuck.

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

CHATTER

Miami Herald

So the word is Cabrera wanted to spend more time with family in Venezuela and wanted to avoid the hassle of travelling back to Florida? I am sure this won't change the minds of those who foisted/believe the whole SFX conspiracy theory on this board that this was nothing more than Cabrera flexing his muscles and showing the team who is boss. But it is good to hear Cabrera's side of the story (albeit secondhand). Which is why Samson should have kept his mouth shut in the first place. Instead, he ends up looking like more of a schmuck.

He couldn't be more of a schmuck if he tried

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2765995

Rex i thought the article is worth posting in its entirety..Thanks!

Cabrera doesn't want to ruin image with fansBy Enrique Rojas

ESPNdeportes.com

MIAMI -- Although he is still young, Miguel Cabrera understands that baseball is not only a sport but also a business. However, the Venezuelan wouldn't want the business part to influence the image that fans have of him.

Miguel Cabrera

Third Base

Florida Marlins

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

158 26 114 112 .430 .339

"Fans are really important to me, especially the ones from Miami, and I wouldn't like to ruin my relationship with them due to a misunderstanding," Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com.

Last weekend, the Marlins' main executives criticized Cabrera's absence to the Annual FanFest at Dolphin Stadium. President David Samson and general manager Admin Beinfest were "extremely dissapointed" with Cabrera's no-show at the event.

Cabrera said he had an inescapable commitment related to his father's health and that he tried to let the Marlins know through his agents.

"I'd already separated that date for an appointment related to my father's health. The Marlins informed me just a week before the festival and I coudn't cancel my meeting, and that's what I told my agents," said Cabrera.

"In four years in the major leagues, I've only assisted once at that event and it was never such a big deal. I don't know what's so different now," he added.

The difference could be that Cabrera, who made $472,000 in 2006, filed for salary arbitration for the first time in his career Friday. The player is asking for $7.2 millions and the team is offering $6.7 millions.

"My absence had nothing to do with the pending arbitration, because neither the Marlins nor me believe in the process. It's purely a business issue and I understand it perfectly," he said.

"I'm not mad with the administration, although I'm a little worried that Miami fans could now have a distorted image of myself. I'm committed to doing the best for the team," Cabrera said. "Moreover, to compensate for my absence, I promise to assist in every activity the Marlins may organize in the following days," he added.

In four seasons, Cabrera has a .311 average with 104 home runs and 404 RBIs. Last year, he averaged .339 and he fought for the batting tittle until the last day of the season with Freddy Sanchez, who ended with an average of .344. Cabrera, who will turn 24 in April, could become a free agent before his 26th birthday.

With the salaries being paid nowadays, Cabrera and lefty Johan Santana, will surely vie in 2008 to become the first Venezuelans to get $100 million contracts in Major League Baseball.

Cabrera said he will travel from Miami to Arizona on Thursday for his salary arbitration hearing on Friday and then will return to Florida to start training with the Marlins in Palm Beach on Tuesday.

"I'm in great shape for the start of spring training, because I've been playing winter ball in Venezuela," Cabrera said.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

Cabrera doesn't want to ruin image with fans

By Enrique Rojas

ESPNdeportes.com

MIAMI -- Although he is still young, Miguel Cabrera understands that baseball is not only a sport but also a business. However, the Venezuelan wouldn't want the business part to influence the image that fans have of him.

Miguel Cabrera

Third Base

Florida Marlins

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

158 26 114 112 .430 .339

"Fans are really important to me, especially the ones from Miami, and I wouldn't like to ruin my relationship with them due to a misunderstanding," Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com. Last weekend, the Marlins' main executives criticized Cabrera's absence to the Annual FanFest at Dolphin Stadium. President David Samson and general manager Admin Beinfest were "extremely dissapointed" with Cabrera's no-show at the event.

Cabrera said he had an inescapable commitment related to his father's health and that he tried to let the Marlins know through his agents. "I'd already separated that date for an appointment related to my father's health. The Marlins informed me just a week before the festival and I coudn't cancel my meeting, and that's what I told my agents," said Cabrera.

"In four years in the major leagues, I've only assisted once at that event and it was never such a big deal. I don't know what's so different now," he added.

The difference could be that Cabrera, who made $472,000 in 2006, filed for salary arbitration for the first time in his career Friday. The player is asking for $7.2 millions and the team is offering $6.7 millions. "My absence had nothing to do with the pending arbitration, because neither the Marlins or me believe in the process. It's purely a business issue and I understand it perfectly," he said.

"I'm not mad with the administration, although I'm a little worry that Miami fans could now have a distorted image of myself. I'm commited to doing the best for the team," said Cabrera. "Moreover, to compensate my absence, I promise to assist every activity the Marlins may organize in the following days," he added.

In four seasons, Cabrera has a .311 average with 104 home runs and 404 RBIs. Last year, he averaged .339 and he fought for the batting tittle until the last day of the season with Freddy S?nchez, who ended with an average of .344. Cabrera, who will turn 24 in April, could become a free agent before his 26th birthday.

With the salaries being payed nowadays, Cabrera and lefty Johan Santana, will surely vie in 2008 to become the first Venezuelans to get $100 million contracts in Major League Baseball.

Cabrera said he will travel from Miami to Arizona on Thursday for his salary arbitration hearing on Friday and then will return to Florida to start training with the Marlins in Palm Beach on Tuesday. "I'm in great shape for the start of spring training, because I've been playing winter ball in Venezuela," said Cabrera.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

Well, he didn't tell his agents before hand, but I am glad it seems that he learned his lesson.

And, let me just respond to my inevitable critics, if his agents did in fact know, why wouldn't they have said something before hand instead of the non-comments thus diffusing the controversy.