Padres sign injured Marine to minor league deal

Hammerhead

Padres to sign injured Marine as minor league pitcher

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- A Marine who lost a finger on his left hand while serving in Iraq has agreed to terms with the San Diego Padres, the team said Monday.

Right-hander Cooper Brannan will report to minor league spring training March 1. The 22-year-old injured his left hand during a second tour of duty in Iraq. Team spokesman George Stieren said Brannan lost his left pinky.

The team planned to announce the signing at a news conference Tuesday at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

Brannan was born in Houston and attended high school in Gilbert, Ariz.

Stieren said Padres general manager Kevin Towers "was adamant that we were doing this because of his potential, not because it was a great story.

"This was a legitimate baseball decision."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

source

ironically, the padres wear military camouflage every year.

but seriously, i wish him luck in his next dream.

And San Diego is home to three Marine Corps bases, two of which are air stations. The other is, I think, the second biggest military base in the nation. That city is completely overrun by the military. That is what it is known for. Trust me, I know, I lived there ten years.

Coincidence? :mischief2

And San Diego is home to three Marine Corps bases, two of which are air stations. The other is, I think, the second biggest military base in the nation. That city is completely overrun by the military. That is what it is known for. Trust me, I know, I lived there ten years.

i was going to mention that as well, that a significant amount of san diego's work force is the military, and 20 years ago, it was a total navy town. unlike in most cities, they have military housing all over the city instead of just the base.

btw, miramar used to be a navy base until the base closings in the early 90's (the same one that closed homestead).

and peltedon is not in san diego, it's about 30 miles north, so less people stationed to camp peldeton live in the city proper. and yes, it's the second biggest base in the nation...that thing is huge...you can get lost.

the last one, the recruit depot houses all of the male recruits west of the miss. river. so if accord was living west of the river, he would be in san diego right now instead of carolina.

also, two navy bases in the city, one just south of downtown and one on conrnado.

i still wish they wore the camouflage more than once a year.

i was going to mention that as well, that a significant amount of san diego's work force is the military, and 20 years ago, it was a total navy town. unlike in most cities, they have military housing all over the city instead of just the base.

btw, miramar used to be a navy base until the base closings in the early 90's (the same one that closed homestead).

and peltedon is not in san diego, it's about 30 miles north, so less people stationed to camp peldeton live in the city proper. and yes, it's the second biggest base in the nation...that thing is huge...you can get lost.

the last one, the recruit depot houses all of the male recruits west of the miss. river. so if accord was living west of the river, he would be in san diego right now instead of carolina.

also, two navy bases in the city, one just south of downtown and one on conrnado.

i still wish they wore the camouflage more than once a year.

What I meant was all three of them are in San Diego county. Pendelton is in Riverside, Miramar is in Miramar, MCRD (Marine Corps. Recruiting Depot) is in Mission Valley. But all three are in the county of San Diego.

NAS North Island is the one you're thinking of thats on Coronado. That place harbors the USS Ronald Regan. I'm not sure but I think NAS North Island stretches into the downtown area. I don't think they are two separate bases. But once again, I could be wrong about that.

What I meant was all three of them are in San Diego county. Pendelton is in Riverside, Miramar is in Miramar, MCRD (Marine Corps. Recruiting Depot) is in Mission Valley. But all three are in the county of San Diego.

NAS North Island is the one you're thinking of thats on Coronado. That place harbors the USS Ronald Regan. I'm not sure but I think NAS North Island stretches into the downtown area. I don't think they are two separate bases. But once again, I could be wrong about that.

north island does not go to downtown. there's a second base south of downtown, close to petco, known as 32nd street. those bases are separate.

and pendeton isn't in riverside. it's in oceanside. riverside is northeast of the area and houses macdill air force base.

north island does not go to downtown. there's a second base south of downtown, close to petco, known as 32nd street. those bases are separate.

I'll take your word for it. I don't know the downtown area very well. During the ten years I spent there, I might have gone into downtown about six times and that is all.

and pendeton isn't in riverside. it's in oceanside. riverside is northeast of the area and houses macdill air force base.

Got my Sides mixed up. Oceanside is correct. I used to live in Poway. :)

i lived in san diego for four years just to let you know. my mom went shopping at the 32nd street base for groceries all the time.

When did you move?

i was there from the summer of 1999 to the summer of 2003. moved to south florida for college, since graduated. family moved partly because cost of living down there is outrageous, even though palm beach county isn't too much better.

i lived in san diego for four years just to let you know. my mom went shopping at the 32nd street base for groceries all the time.

When did you move?

i was there from the summer of 1999 to the summer of 2003. moved to south florida for college, since graduated. family moved partly because cost of living down there is outrageous, even though palm beach county isn't too much better.

Sounds kind of like my family. I grew up here, went there for a while, got too outrageous, came back here where we thought it was better and its 80% worse. Go figure. I lived there from 1997-2006.

We're looking to move to northern California (Stockton area) sometime within the next ten months.

my dad was in the marines until 2003, with 25 years of service. but we moved to other places, but we're originally from new orleans. most of our extended family lived there until katrina, but all but a couple are out of the area now.

but back to the story, i would like to see him in the major leagues one day. now that he cannot live the marine dream anymore, he can live his other dream.

you think alf could loan a finger? :lol

and correction earlier, in new orleans and some other cities by the miss. river, they can choose which one they go to unlike the rest of the country.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.