The Number 23

Lefty

We saw Reno and stuck around for some free access to '23'. I knew it got bad reviews but wanted to see it anyway. Just as I expected, it wasn't really that good. It had its moments, and I think Jim Carrey did a fine job given the circumstances, but it wasn't as thrilling or suspenseful as I needed it to be.

I did spend the rest of my night subconsciously looking for anything that contained '23'. That was actually pretty weird, because there were dozens of occurances just on the ride home.

Examples:

The first marquee sign I saw after leaving the theater had a phone number for some company and it was 222-3333 (no joke).

The first speed limit I saw was 35 MPH (3x5=15, 3+5=8, 15+8=23).

The first gas price I saw was 2.35 (regular)

The first state road sign I saw was 815 (8+15=23)

The radio station was on 104.9 when I turned on the car (14+9=23)

:/

i really will never fathom why people will star in crappy movies just so they stick around when they could remembered for all their good stuff from the past. okay well i guess now that i think about it, of course they do it for money but carrey should have at least stuck to a comedy.

anyway, i wouldn't see this movie because of the concept alone. i can already tell the first couple of incidents with 23 will be alright but then it's just gonna be grasping at straws.

i really will never fathom why people will star in crappy movies just so they stick around when they could remembered for all their good stuff from the past. okay well i guess now that i think about it, of course they do it for money but carrey should have at least stuck to a comedy.

Carrey's career has been on a downward slide for awhile. It's obvious to me he can't ready a script to save his life and commands so much money that it's really tough for him to do projects with enough people to make it good.

There are exceptions, because obviously he got lucky and hit a high mark for his career with Eternal Sunshine and I thought A Series of Unfortunate Events was okay. But, there's no reason for the Majestic and a lot of the other sentimentally hokey crap he's done. Really, I don't think his comedies were all that great either. They're kind of like Adam Sandler's movies, where they're just watered down versions of his earlier material.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.