Here she is, the USS New York

USS New York

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"

Please keep this going so everyone can see what we are made of in this country!

Also, the picture is of the USS San Antonio, not the New York.

Wow. Good eye. The New York is, in fact, LPD-21 not 17, as marked on the ship pictured. They are both the same design, though, and are both San Antonio class ships.

These ships represent a shift from larger, heavily armed ships to smaller, faster, more rapidly deployed ships. The DOD is doing the same things with tanks, fighters, and other battle platforms.

These ships are designed to minimize their radar signature and feature improved fragmentation and nuclear blast protection and shock-hardened structures.

I hope that ship isn't sailing into the Middle East with a flag that large...

I hope it isn't sailing with e flag that small.

"We, Sir, are ready at Fort McHenry to defend Baltimore against invading by the enemy. That is to say, we are ready except that we have no suitable ensign to display over the Star Fort, and it is my desire to have a flag so large that the British will have no difficulty in seeing it from a distance."

Major George Armistead - Commander, Fort McHenry, Baltimore 1813

...as the last vessel spread her canvas to the wind, the Americans hoisted a most superb and splendid ensign on the battery.

- Midshipman Robert Barrett, HMS Hebrus