Poll on who people would not vote for based on race, age, marriage etc

Flying_Mollusk

Gallup Poll

If your party nominated a well-qualified Candidate For WH '08 who was _, would you vote for that person?

Yes   No                   Catholic                  95%   4%

Black                     94    5

Jewish                    92    7

A woman                   88   11

Hispanic                  87   12

Mormon                    72   24

Married for third time    67   30

72 years old              57   42

A homosexual              55   43

An atheist                45   53

Comfort-   With     Would

able       Reserv-  Not

ations   Vote

Black         84%        9%      5%

A woman       78        10      11

Mormon        58        14      24

72 years old  43        15      42

Married for

third time    54        13      30

[The media has] spent a lot of time discussing whether an African-American or a woman will have a hard time attracting votes. Meanwhile, opinion polls tell us that most people are fine with voting for people who fit those descriptions, but that people are less fine voting for an old guy, a twice-divorced guy, or a Mormon. The media coverage of these issues has been backwards relative to what the polls say. In decreasing order, people happy to vote for: black guy, chick, Mormon, twice-divorced guy, old guy. Judging by the news coverage you'd think the first three are the most troublesome for voters, when opinion polls tell us that it's actually the last two.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/2/27/122840/169

I'd vote for everyone pretty comfortably. I might be a little hesitant for an atheist, but religion doesn't matter to the government so it wouldn't end up mattering.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I knew about the atheist thing, but I'm surprised that Black is ahead of Jewish.

I would have expected it to be on the lower part of the list, but the number is much higher than I would have thought.

53% voting against you on just one factor is a high percentage.

i wonder about the accuracy of those numbers because in polling many times people will say what they think the pollster wants to hear particularly if it is something mainstream society deems offensive .

Not only that, the competence level of the polled is often dubious. You'll often see polls show that 80% of the public favor government redistribution programs to aid the poor, but 40% do not like welfare.

i wonder about the accuracy of those numbers because in polling many times people will say what they think the pollster wants to hear particularly if it is something mainstream society deems offensive .

Not only that, the competence level of the polled is often dubious. You'll often see polls show that 80% of the public favor government redistribution programs to aid the poor, but 40% do not like welfare.

Yeah. Exactly. Also, a lot of times people don't really know what they stand for.

Given that immigration may be setting up to be the sleeper issue for this campaign, I'm not at all surprised that White/African Americans are pacing Hispanic Americans. Rightly or wrongly, that's where the public is, and the race is most likely going.

The question was whether they would vote for someone of that race if they were well-qualified and belonged to their party. I am not sure that would reasonably lead anyone to believe that the Hispanic would have a certain position on immigration.

Guest Juanky

I think the homosexual ratio is interesting, seeing as I personally believe we're going to start seeing Gay Codes appearing across the country in states that weren't allowed to ban civil unions.

I knew about the atheist thing, but I'm surprised that Black is ahead of Jewish.

I would have expected it to be on the lower part of the list, but the number is much higher than I would have thought.

53% voting against you on just one factor is a high percentage.

It's more than I thought, and it's pretty telling actually. (& a little sad too, in that I think most americans really have warped opinions of what an atheist/agnostic is).

Hey, President Bush could say that God told him he needed to go to war in Iraq, and it wouldn't shock anyone. That's just scary folks.

What I like is the pessimist view that shows in polls.

I saw a poll where 94% of respondents said they would vote for a well-qualified African-American candidate, and only 47% thought that other people would vote for a well-qualified African-American candidate.

Gallup had a poll where 87% of Americans were optomistic about their economic future, and only 37% thought the economy was doing well.

I really don't know where the disconnect happens, where nobody thinks anyone else is good / doing well, even when that person is doing well.