• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Bradcore

Beer is my friend.

If you liked that, you've gotta try this one next -
:thumbup Another Chimay convert...

Very important with this beer - see the glass in GF's picture? Make sure you drink your Chimay out of a similarly shaped glass to get the full effect.

I've always wondered about how each beer has a specific glass it's ideally supposed to be drank out of. How do they determine the shape the glass is supposed to be?

I've always wondered about how each beer has a specific glass it's ideally supposed to be drank out of. How do they determine the shape the glass is supposed to be?
Here's a GREAT tutorial on Beer Advocate:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

Basically, it's in the presentation as well as drinkability. With the Chimay, for example, you want to use a goblet shaped glass because it's shape helps to maintain the head of the beer while also allowing the drinker to "flush" their entire mouth with beer. If you try drinking this from a bottle [the opposite extreme], for example, you will not have an opportunity to enjoy the head of the beer and the amount of beer you get in a swig is severely diminished. So, you can wash your whole mouth in the beer or you can leak beer onto your tongue. Which sounds better to you? :beer

Basically, it's in the presentation as well as drinkability. With the Chimay, for example, you want to use a goblet shaped glass because it's shape helps to maintain the head of the beer while also allowing the drinker to "flush" their entire mouth with beer. If you try drinking this from a bottle [the opposite extreme], for example, you will not have an opportunity to enjoy the head of the beer and the amount of beer you get in a swig is severely diminished. So, you can wash your whole mouth in the beer or you can leak beer onto your tongue. Which sounds better to you? :beer

Yep. Similar to wines. That bar I talk about in Hollywood, PRL, the owner always gives the correct glass with each beer. Very important to serve at the right temp. too, some beers believe it or not are better served on the warmer side.

Also, a common mistake is to freeze the glass or chill it in ice. Thats a big no no. The glass should always be room temperature, as the ice particles will melt in the beer and make the beer watered down dramatically changing the flavor profile.

If you're ever in Maine, (and hell, it may even be in some of the other New England States) You should really try Geary's Hampshire Special Ale. It's a good brew that's 7% alcohol.

If you're ever in Maine, (and hell, it may even be in some of the other New England States) You should really try Geary's Hampshire Special Ale. It's a good brew that's 7% alcohol.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep my eyes open...

Cool man, thanks. That website is great.