NFL Draft

The Fan

Why do I suddenly see the Fins failing to draft a QB, AGAIN?!! It's crap like this that's driving me to think of this team as just the football version of the Florida Panthers and thus just continually driving me into the arms of the Steelers even more.

With Randy and Cam at the helm, there is a slim chance the Phins don't take a QB day one, let alone for the entire draft this year.

Why do I suddenly see the Fins failing to draft a QB, AGAIN?!! It's crap like this that's driving me to think of this team as just the football version of the Florida Panthers and thus just continually driving me into the arms of the Steelers even more.

With Randy and Cam at the helm, there is a slim chance the Phins don't take a QB day one, let alone for the entire draft this year.

Yep, I think it is just about a Guarantee that Mueller drafts a QB, historically he always has.

15 minutes give teams a bit more time to attempt to manuever trades adding further drama to the first round

It'd be even better if Vick was a good quarterback.

Vick is a very good quarterback and will prove the haters wrong. I've never understood why he continually gets such a bad rap.

Michael Vick the most overrated QB in NFL history! He can be the offense, he just can't lead the offense.

too true

I think the speculation for the draft is more fun then the draft itself.

If Okoye is there at number 9 will my dolphins take him because he would be BPA? Or no because we need offense more then defense?

Which 10 players will be solid players from round 1?

Which 10 players will be busts players from round 1?

Which 10 players will be good players?

Which 2 will be superstars?

Will Da U keep their streak going of players picked in the 1st round?

Which college willhave the most players picked?

Which team will pull a dumb move? (Miami trading a 4th to move up 1 pick, Minnesota running out of time for their pick, Minnesota taking troy Williamson, the jets taking Ken O'brien over Marino hehe etc etc etc).

I think stuff like that is sorta more fun then the draft itself. Specially the mocks and possibility of trading up or down and all :)

My hope for the draft is still peterson fall to Miami and Miami trades back from there more picks and lets fix the damn oline once and for all. I want a Shula type draft (Webb and sims). :)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10146725

Here is Kirwin from NFL.com's last mock draft

1. Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU -- The longer you watch him on tape, the more he is the right pick for the Raiders. He is a rare athlete with a great arm and all the throws. He can make the line calls, escape pressure, and end the run of passing on quarterbacks -- which includes Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler. The plan sounds like getting a veteran like Josh McCown to start off the season and let Russell learn from the sideline for a year. The Raiders still have to fix their offensive line, and there's no reason to put Russell on the field until the supporting cast is in place.

NFL Network video

Mike Mayock and Paul Burmeister

Mike Mayock evaluates the top prospects in the 2007 draft.

Nos. 1-5: 56k | 300k

Nos. 6-10: 56k | 300k

Nos. 11-15: 56k | 300k

Nos. 16-20: 56k | 300k

Nos. 21-25: 56k | 300k

2. Detroit: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson -- As soon as the Raiders pass on Calvin Johnson, this pick will increase in value for the Lions. They will entertain trade calls, most likely from Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Detroit could move down to No. 4 and still get Gaines Adams, or they could go to No. 8 and take Patrick Willis or Jamaal Anderson -- and still have pick Nos. 39 and 44 from Atlanta to go along with Nos. 39 and 66 to build up their roster. A QB like Trent Edwards would be a good fit in the second round, as well as a CB like Marcus McCauley and a safety.

3. Cleveland: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame -- The Browns could easily entertain calls for the spot to take Calvin Johnson if Detroit doesn't move out of the No. 2 slot. Could it be possible that Charlie Frye is good enough, especially if the Browns stay at this spot and take Calvin Johnson to team up with Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow? Or take OT Joe Thomas and build up the protection? It might be time to take Quinn (95 touchdown passes at Notre Dame).

4. Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- The Bucs should be so lucky that a player like Calvin Johnson falls to them. If Calvin is the top-rated player on most draft boards, then sitting still might not be the best plan, especially if the Falcons jump up to take him. Not only would the Bucs miss out on him, but they would have to defend against him twice a season. If that were to happen, then the Bucs would take Gaines Adams to (eventually) replace Simeon Rice.

5. Arizona: Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin -- The Cardinals usually don't like to spend the money the top picks require and could look to move down and take another offensive tackle named Levi Brown. The question: Does anyone want to move up to the No. 5 spot? The guess here is the Cardinals will stay where they are and select Big Joe.

6. Washington: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville -- The Redskins need to move down and get at least a second-round pick, but if they stay put, thae Amobi Okoye would add some life to the defensive line. Okoye's skills have been compared to Warren Sapp's. He has great first-step quickness and excellent balance. Throw in the fact he's 19 years old and there is a lot to be excited about with this pick.

Adding Adrian Peterson would give the Vikings tremendous depth at running back.

Adding Adrian Peterson would give the Vikings tremendous depth at running back.

7. **Minnesota: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma -- The Vikings could take Quinn if he drops to them, but probably would not move up to get him. They could take a hard look at cornerbacks Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis, but in the end, Adrian Peterson is too good to pass up.

8. **Atlanta: LaRon Landry, S, LSU -- If the Falcons stay put, they will consider Levi Brown, but the player who can help the most right now and has the grade to be taken is LaRon Landry. He can match up with division opponent Reggie Bush and help stop the running game. Landry had 315 tackles to go along with 12 interceptions in his 48 collegiate starts.

9. Miami: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State -- Miami might make a move to get Brady Quinn, or it might trade for Trent Green and get the offensive tackle it hasn't had since Richmond Webb. New coach Cam Cameron needs big, powerful tackles like Brown to make his offense work.

10. **Houston: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan -- The Texans will look at the remaining defensive linemen with Round 1 grades and probably will be disappointed Levi Brown is off the board, which leaves one of the safest picks in the draft left on the board -- -- Leon Hall. Hall would up with Dunta Robinson to give Houston a pair of corners to help against division opponent Peyton Manning.

11. San Francisco: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska -- It might be quite tempting to select Michigan nose tackle Alan Branch if he drops this far, because most 3-4 defenses are always looking for the wide body to force the double team and free up a linebacker. I still believe Carriker is Nolan's type of player and fits in perfectly as the left defensive end.

12. Buffalo: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi -- The Bills have a lot of needs, especially at running back. Marshawn Lynch will get consideration but the depth at RB suggests they can wait until the second round. Willis is a tackling machine with 4.4 speed at 242 pounds.

13. **St. Louis: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas -- The Rams still need a pass rusher opposite Leonard Little, and Anderson is the best on the board at this point. A cornerback like Revis could get the nod here, but the Rams have a better chance of getting a corner at No. 52 than they do of getting a DE.

14. Carolina: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla.) -- This might be a little high to take a tight end, but Olsen has pulled away from the other TEs with his vertical speed and size. Keep in mind, the Panthers third-down offense was one of the worst in the league. A good tight end will go a long way toward fixing it.

15. **Pittsburgh: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh -- The Steelers are going to be tempted to take defensive lineman Justin Harrell at this spot. But in the end, they will go down the hall of their own building and take the Pittsburgh corner who is rated ahead of Leon Hall on a few draft boards.

16. **Green Bay: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee -- The Pack need a running back. It is hard to pass on one here, but Harrell's latest workouts have put to rest the injury questions that surrounded the 314-pound DT who will keep the Green Bay defense moving forward against division opponent Chicago, which loves to run the ball.

17. Jacksonville: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida -- It's no secret the Jags need a safety now that Deon Grant is gone. A pass rusher like Jarvis Moss could fit with the two big tackles inside, but in the end, the safety will win out.

18. **Cincinnati: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan -- The Bengals need lots of help in the secondary, but a week ago no one figured Branch would fall this far. Overnight, the Cincinnati defense would be better against the run, which has been a problem. The secondary needs will get resolved at the No. 49 slot when a corner will be selected.

Draft video

Watch profiles on the top draft prospects and analysis from NFL Network's draft experts in the Draft Room.

19. **Tennessee: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California -- A draft-day trade for Michael Turner obviously would change this pick, but for now, Lynch is the answer. There will be long talks about the wide receivers left on the board, as well as a pass rusher like Jarvis Moss.

20. **N.Y. Giants: Joe Staley, T, Central Michigan -- A month ago, there was little interest in Staley. The Giants seemed excited about outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons back then, but Staley would answer a long-term issue at left tackle for Eli Manning.

21. Denver: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State -- There are a few rumors around that Denver will trade this pick to get Lance Briggs. There's no doubt Briggs is a better player than Timmons at this point in his career, and Mike Shanahan needs the strongest defense possible while Jay Cutler learns on the job. If Denver stays, it could come down to Timmons or Jon Beason. Two weeks ago, it looked like DE Jarvis Moss would wind up here, but his latest workout didn't help him.

Dwayne Bowe and JaMarcus Russell made each other a lot of money last season.

Dwayne Bowe and JaMarcus Russell made each other a lot of money last season.

22. **Dallas: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU -- There certainly are a few good receivers left on the Dallas board, and it could be Ted Ginn or Dwayne Jarrett, but Bowe seems to be the consensus best wideout left on the board.

23. Kansas City: Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State -- K.C. would like Joe Staley or Justin Harrell at this spot, but they should be gone, so they will turn to wide receiver. Ginn, who ran back eight kicks for touchdowns for the Buckeyes, would Dante Hall expendable.

24. New England: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas -- The Patriots need a corner, and with Asanti Samuel's contract situation becoming strained, it's time to grab the best CB left on the board. Ross recorded 205 tackles along with 10 interceptions and 33 passes defended.

25. N.Y. Jets: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas -- Houston made a name for himself locking down on Dwayne Jarrett, but he has slipped a bit in recent weeks. The Jets could skip the corner until the next round and take a hybrid OLB/DE like Anthony Spencer here.

26. **Philadelphia: Anthony Spencer, LB/DE, Purdue -- If the Jets take Spencer, then the Eagles will take the corner. Spencer is one strong player with good speed. Anthony ran the 40 in 4.70 but his weight room numbers (490 bench, 650 squat, 370 power clean) are only outdone by his 21 sacks and 11 forced fumbles in college.

27. **New Orleans: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee -- After watching the run on cornerbacks, the Saints will have to take a corner with a Round 2 grade or a wide receiver with a Round 1 grade.

28. New England: Ryan Kalil, C, USC -- All spring, I have said with two first-round picks and an excellent offseason of signing veterans, the Patriots can afford to look long term at this spot and draft the best center in the draft. He will be a 10-year starter.

29. **Baltimore: Ben Grubbs, G, Auburn -- An outside 'backer like Spencer or a conversion like Jarvis Moss would be considered if still available. but with the offensive line in flux and Jonathan Ogden's future uncertain, the Ravens could use a guard/tackle. Ben Grubbs will be compared to Justin Blaylock, and maybe Arron Sears, at this spot.

30. **San Diego: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC -- To think a wide receiver who scored a touchdown every five receptions is still on the board is to good to be true. Jarrett would be only the No. 3 receiving threat behind Antonio Gates and LaDainian Tomlinson, but Philip Rivers sees the whole field and the Chargers might become close to impossible to stop in the red zone.

31. Chicago: Jon Beason, OLB, Miami (Fla.) -- Whether the Bears move Briggs, they have to prepare for 2008, when Briggs should be gone for sure. The Bears are not interested in paying what Briggs believes he's worth on the open market. It could be Timmons instead of Beason, but it should be an OLB.

32. **Indianapolis: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State -- The Colts need to replace Cato June and a number of other defensive players. A safety like Brandon Meriweather is a consideration, but Posluszny brings 372 tackles, 35 tackles for a loss, nine sacks, and two interceptions with him from Penn State.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...omparisons.html

scott wright's prospect comparisons

Vick is a very good quarterback and will prove the haters wrong. I've never understood why he continually gets such a bad rap.

I don't know how anyone could say he is very good.

His horrid passer rating for a Pro Bowl (lol) QB is a joke and people have been saying he will reach is potential and prove the 'haters' wrong every season of his career and he hasn't done it.

His horrid passer rating for a Pro Bowl (lol) QB is a joke and people have been saying he will reach is potential and prove the 'haters' wrong every season of his career and he hasn't done it.

If they dont make the playoffs again I wouldnt be surprised if they draft Brian Brohm next year

12:45 pm: Mark Eckel, who is a well-respected NFL guy in these parts, is reporting that the Raiders, Lions, and Browns all are VERY high on Stanford QB Trent Edwards. This could mean many different things, but at the very least, it could mean the Dolphins may have a crack at Brady Quinn after all.

12:32 pm: There's a rumor making its way from Canada that the Panthers and Dolphins have talked trade. The deal would be a swapping of picks (Carolina has #14) so Carolina could land either Pat Willis or LaRon Landry. The Dolphins would probably get Carolina's 2nd round pick in return. However, I can't get any links or articles on this yet. If I do, I'll pass them along.

http://www.thephinsider.com/

Yes his passer rating is not very good, but he doesn't have any WR's and yet has still been to the NFC championship game and voted to the pro bowl 3 times. He averages an amazing unheard of +8 yards per carry and rushed for over 1,000 yards. Do those stats just not count because he is a QB? I don't get why fans just throw away those amazing numbers.

And please don't use the "well you can't win with a run first QB", because he has already taken his team deep into the playoffs twice.

I'd love to hear your list of 10 QBs you'd rather have over Michael Vick....

If they dont make the playoffs again I wouldn't be surprised if they draft Brian Brohm next year

Vick is an awful QB all he can do is run, his passes are almost always off target and hes a scrambling qb that cant throw on the run. Its funny every person that loves Vick says the same thing every year that he will be better next year and prove the haters wrong. Heres the deal they've been saying this his whole career.

Yes his passer rating is not very good, but he doesn't have any WR's and yet has still been to the NFC championship game and voted to the pro bowl 3 times. He averages an amazing unheard of +8 yards per carry and rushed for over 1,000 yards. Do those stats just not count because he is a QB? I don't get why fans just throw away those amazing numbers.

And please don't use the "well you can't win with a run first QB", because he has already taken his team deep into the playoffs twice.

Brady, manning, cutler, leinert, brees, palmer, vince young, schaub, delhomme, brady quinn or jamarcus (and i realize the last two are unproven...but i take big arm over fast legs when it comes to the qb position

If they dont make the playoffs again I wouldn't be surprised if they draft Brian Brohm next year

Vick is an awful QB all he can do is run, his passes are almost always off target and hes a scrambling qb that cant throw on the run. Its funny every person that loves Vick says the same thing every year that he will be better next year and prove the haters wrong. Heres the deal they've been saying this his whole career.

Thats just stupid. So I wonder, did they say that in his rookie year? Because the next year he had an 81.6 QB rating and rushed for 777 yards and went to the second round of the playoffs.

2003 he gets hurt and only plays 5 games. 2004 he goes to the NFC Championship game with a 78 QB rating and 902 yards rushing. Last year he sets an NFL record rushing for over a 1,000 yards (8.4 YPC) and throwing 2500 yards.

So basically he has already proved the "haters" wrong, but because he is so unconventional

people will always doubt him. His arm is unbelievable though and if he has a talented WR like Calvin Johnson to throw to, he'll put up some amazing passing numbers too. Either way though, the guy is one of, if not the best athlete in the NFL and he will win Super Bowls and MVPs.

Rushing yards for a qb really dont mean that much. How many yards did peyton manning have last year? Or Tom Brady, or Rothlesburger....

He set a record last year with 1,000 yards and his team won 7 games. With the exception of one year his qb rating is always in the 70's. I dont know but I would expect better from the #1 draft pick overall who got traded for LT and Drew Brees...

Rushing yards for a qb really dont mean that much. How many yards did peyton manning have last year? Or Tom Brady, or Rothlesburger....

He set a record last year with 1,000 yards and his team won 7 games.

Yea and he also had a higher QB rating than Roethlisberger last year.

Actually I was just pointing out qb's that won superbowls the past 5 seasons...

throw in trent dilfer and brad johnson and that list goes back a while.

Tom Brady 'doesn't have any WR's' either and he has done alright. Plenty of good QBs have won/win with less.

Sure rushing yards count, but I want my QB to be able to pass, and pass well. If he is mobile, I'm all for it, but if he can only use his legs to move the ball then he is at the wrong position.

Saying 'he' took his team deep in to the playoffs twice is inane.

I never understood why he got so much credit or is labled as the driving force behind the Falcon's win in Lambeau. Sure a QB is the face of the team in more cases then not, but he was absolutely not the reason they won that game. He threw for 117 yards and a TD and completed 52 percent of his passes. The Falcons D won that game, forced 3 fumbles, held Ahman Green to less than 40 yards and picked off Favre twice. It was not Vick.

I'll give him more credit for helping his team win in 2004, but the Rams couldn't stop anyone on the ground that day.

Vick getting elected to Pro Bowls is the equivalent of Grant Hill being elected a NBA all-star starter in years when he had barely played or Red Sox or Yankee fans stuffing the ballot boxes for their favorite, not most deserving, players to start. But if you really think those make you good, or legitimate lets look at those seasons:

2002: 231/421, 2,936 Yds, 16 TD/8 INT 81.6 QB Rating, 777 Rushing Yds, 8 TDs - His best season of his career, definitely deserved it.

2004: 181/321, 2,313 Yds, 14 TD/12 INT 78.1 QB Rating, 902 Rushing Yards, 3 TDs - 2 more TDs then INTs? QB Rating in the 70s? lol

2005: 214/387, 2,412 Yds, 15 TD/13 INT 73.1 QB Rating, 597 Rushing Yards, 6 TDs - See above, he actually got worse

So in his three 'best' seasons, in each appearance he got worse. "So much upside!" "So much talent!"

As for the 10 Quarterbacks I'd rather have aka a third of the entire NFL I'd gladly take:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Carson Palmer

Phillip Rivers

Marc Bulger

Jeff Garcia

Matt Leinart

Vince Young

Jay Cutler

Guest FishFanInPA

I 'forgot' others too, which isn't hard, when comparing them to Vick.

You should see the kool aid the people drink down here. I have said on the air here that Vick sucks and have people frantically deny it.

He's missed the playoffs two years in a row, and he turns the ball over a lot thats not a winning QB. You can talk about his running ability but a Qb's job is to get the ball to the receivers and make good decisions Mike vick does neither and thats why he will never win a superbowl.

Well things only get better for vick...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2850545

SMITHFIELD, Va. -- Police conducting a drug investigation raided a Virginia house owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated, as well as items associated with dog fighting, authorities said.

State Police Sgt. D.S. Carr said Vick's relative, Davon Boddie, 26, lives in the house. Vick owns the property, but does not live there and was not present when a search warrant was executed in a drug investigation Wednesday night, Carr said.

Boddie was arrested outside a nightclub by Hampton police April 20 on charges of distribution of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute. The search warrant was executed by a multijurisidictional task force in a narcotics probe, Carr said.

"When they had a chance to go to the site, they discovered animal neglect," Surry County Administrator Tyrone Franklin told WAVY-TV in Portsmouth.

More than 60 dogs were found in three buildings. Some appeared malnourished, scarred and injured, officials said.

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, issued the following statement: "The Humane Society of the United States has heard troubling reports for some time that Michael Vick has been involved in organized dog fighting, and we fear that this investigation may validate that very disturbing allegation."

"We urge law enforcement to aggressively investigate this matter, and we further believe that anyone who harbors dogs for the purpose of fighting, deserves to be fully prosecuted for their crimes,'' Pacelle said. "Dog fighting is a barbaric activity that causes immense animal suffering and fosters violence in our communities. Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for any form of staged animal fighting."

The Humane Society said dog fighting is illegal nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including both Virginia and Georgia.

Vick refused comment Thursday through a Falcons spokesman, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Joel Segal, the quarterback's agent, and Admin Woodward, a Virginia attorney who has worked with both Vick and his younger brother, Marcus, didn't immediately return telephone messages from The Associated Press seeking comment.

The Surry County Sheriff's Office is handling the investigation of the dogs' treatment. The office said the deputy in charge of the investigation was at the scene and unavailable for comment Thursday.

The animal rights group PETA has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

In a letter to Blank, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it was the second time it was writing to the owner about one of his players and allegations of cruelty to animals. On Feb. 23, the organization wrote to him about defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux's felony charges in Georgia stemming from the fatal beating of a dog.

The probe at Vick's property is the latest in a serious of embarrassing incidents for the Atlanta quarterback.

He was named in a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment. The case was settled out of court.

Last season, Vick flashed an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a dismal loss to New Orleans. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and donated another $10,000 to charity.

In January, security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment. Authorities later said there were no drugs in the bottle, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

Just this week, Vick came under more criticism when he failed to show for a lobbying appearance on Capitol Hill in support of increased funding for after-school programs. He missed a connecting flight in Atlanta and didn't turn up for a later flight.

Vick and two other former Virginia Tech stars -- Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall and former Buffalo Bills defensive end Bruce Smith -- are scheduled to join Hokies football coach Frank Beamer and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in a predraft ceremony in New York on Saturday to honor the victims of the recent shooting at the Blacksburg school.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.