Somthing is missing

They need to take the voting away from the fans and give it to the players and managers. Didn't they do that back in the 1960's after Cincinnati stuffed the ballot boxes and didn't give it back to the fans for 15 years or so ?

I have a different idea. Kinda like last year, but with a twist. Because I think an AS should be the best all around player at his position I would like to see players starting and in reserve that are just that. But add another category for hitters and have them do the Home Run contest, or some type of hitting contest the day before the ASG. Last year's HRC was just an ad campaign for the WBC, but it could be tweaked. Hanley shouldn't make the team for his all around abilities. Neither should Miggy. But they can hit. Were guys like Piazza, Sosa, and Big Mac (short list) the best all around players at their positions? Not by any means, but they could hit.

They need to take the voting away from the fans and give it to the players and managers. Didn't they do that back in the 1960's after Cincinnati stuffed the ballot boxes and didn't give it back to the fans for 15 years or so ?

I have a different idea. Kinda like last year, but with a twist. Because I think an AS should be the best all around player at his position I would like to see players starting and in reserve that are just that. But add another category for hitters and have them do the Home Run contest, or some type of hitting contest the day before the ASG. Last year's HRC was just an ad campaign for the WBC, but it could be tweaked. Hanley shouldn't make the team for his all around abilities. Neither should Miggy. But they can hit. Were guys like Piazza, Sosa, and Big Mac (short list) the best all around players at their positions? Not by any means, but they could hit.

Maybe Piazza and Sosa weren't the best fielders at their positions, but their incredible offense made them by far the best players at their positions. And Ozzie Smith was awarded a spot on the team for years despite litle offensive production.

I hate the fans stupidity sometimes as much as anyone else, but having the fans choose the players defines who is a "star" and who isn't makes in an allstar game. Sometimes deserving guys don't get to go, but that's the way it is.