New football league coming in 2008

JetsMania

The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.

Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have decided to start up a rival football league, the United Football League, according to a report on the New York Times web site Wednesday.

For those worried that the UFL will lack name recognition, Hambrecht and Armstrong already have one owner lined up: Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

And though the league is having a difficult time finding other owners, it appears Cuban is committed to the plan. The league intends to play its first preseason games in August of 2008.

And where will the league find the talent necessary to attract fans?

"(Former NFL coach) Bill Walsh used to tell me that the last 20 players cut from every team were almost interchangeable with the last 20 players to make the team," Hambrecht says.

So far, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. Cuban, unsurprisingly, is considering buying the team in Vegas, according to the report.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6863932

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was another article that says they want to play their games on friday nights. Cuban also said that this league would bid on players that were 3rd to 7th round nfl talent.

I think the only way this league works if it plays its season in the spring or summer. In the fall it stands no chance because you have the NFL, NCAA football and baseball playoffs. You also have high school football taking place. Although high school football is not on tv, you have a lot of football fans occupied during the viewing time slot.

I have no problems with this. It's a risky proposition for all of the reasons mentioned and I wouldn't invest a dime but I wouldn't mind seeing the league succeed either. I don't think the XFL was very well conceived, but it could have fixed some of the early problems if they had committed to 3 or 4 seasons. It takes a little time to get established as a real sport that can lure bigger names. All they would need to do is pull off a couple of minor miracles and get some big college names and let the chips fall where they may.

I have no problems with this. It's a risky proposition for all of the reasons mentioned and I wouldn't invest a dime but I wouldn't mind seeing the league succeed either. I don't think the XFL was very well conceived, but it could have fixed some of the early problems if they had committed to 3 or 4 seasons. It takes a little time to get established as a real sport that can lure bigger names. All they would need to do is pull off a couple of minor miracles and get some big college names and let the chips fall where they may.

I think the first step would be to get aging veterans that want to play but no one in the nfl will start them. Name brand guys. College players are harder to get b/c they want to go the nfl and even if they get benched for a while they can still have hope sof playing in the future.

I think the first step would be to get aging veterans that want to play but no one in the nfl will start them. Name brand guys. College players are harder to get b/c they want to go the nfl and even if they get benched for a while they can still have hope sof playing in the future.

Well I think they may start doing that. You get big name players who have just been cut, and sign them to the rival league. Then I think most importantly is to draft big name college players that arent rated highly as nfl prospects. For example Troy Smith and Chris Leak. Names that people are associated with.

XFL anyone?

I think the biggest mistake the XFL did was portraying itself as a circus. Pole dancers as stripper, foolish names on the players jerseys, fighting for the ball to start the game ect... Another draw back was that they started their season a weak after the super bowl. I think they would be better off starting off in march at the earliest. That way it gives people 5-6 weeks off before they invest time in another 4 month season. They also didnt get any good or big name college players. When he hate me is the most famous player then thats a problem.

Well, I hope it fails miserably. I don't want to see the talent in the NFL diluted. I don't think there's any way this succeeds. There's really just no room for another football league. The Arena league has found a nice niche. The XFL tried to create it's own niche, but failed. If this new league is basically just trying to be the NFL, with the same rules, only different (less talented) players, then no one is going to care.

Well, I hope it fails miserably. I don't want to see the talent in the NFL diluted. I don't think there's any way this succeeds. There's really just no room for another football league. The Arena league has found a nice niche. The XFL tried to create it's own niche, but failed. If this new league is basically just trying to be the NFL, with the same rules, only different (less talented) players, then no one is going to care.

As long as it doesnt go head to head with the NFL I would be all for it. I think one of the articles had a quote from Bill Walsh (I believe) and he said that the last 20 players to make an nfl team and the first 20 that get cut are almost interchangable.

Now if they start trying to sign big name free agents and first round draft picks, while starting their season in september, then they are doomed.

This league would be different than arena. Arena is 7 on 7 and played indoors. The XFL wasnt taken seriously because everyone associated with the WWE.

What would be cool is if the NFL would set up a minor league system like hockey and baseball.

Isnt that what NFL europe is?

I wouldnt mind the experiment. Nothing wrong with more spots on TV at a bar on a friday nights.

I think it could be very interesting to see another league bidding on 3rd-7th round talent. Could have an interesting effect on the cost of everyones salary in the NFL if this league is credible enough. GMs value 3rd-5th round picks VERY highly. All of a sudden this league throws more money at a 3rd round picks, so the NFL team will have to up their offer (again, if this league is credible enough where players will want to play in it). Should be interesting.

XFL was a mockery before it even started.. id really like to clear my mind of that mess before judging this experiment.

What would be cool is if the NFL would set up a minor league system like hockey and baseball. I doubt an indy league survives, unless they make games on Sundays when people stay home, and over the summer.

NFl's minor league system is called the NCAA. A lot of people think that the NFL is too stubborn to overturn age reqirements, as in the Maurice Clarett situation, because they have the world's greatest minor league system working for them at absoltely no operational cost. They can evaluate talent against a resonably high talent level, all the while keeping an American tradition.

The NFL actually does have a developmental league. It's called the NFL Europe, and I don't watch it because the games are sloppily played and lack any sense of drama.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.