2 toll lanes to be added on I-95 in south florida

JetsMania

we need better mass transit, we need these construction projects to be completed efficiently and on time. we already have the turnpike which shortens drive time significantly, so i don't think the "two class" complaint carries much weight. go ahead and charge people to use these lanes, but at the same time improve our mass transit system because it sucks now.

The difference with the turnpike is that everyone has to pay. You can't opt in or out.

I still don't understand this proposal...if they can add another lane each way, then add another lane. I don't see how charging people is going to make the average transit time faster; adding the lane is what will make transit time faster. Charging people is what will make it faster for some people, but not for others.

The only point I agree with from those who support this is JetsMania's point that by charging people it will pay for itself. But I-95 has always been built and maintained on taxpayers' money, so I don't understand the need for a sudden change in funding.

I guess this is the only thing they can come up with that's realistic. Obviously, it would be nice to add trains that go everywhere and extra lanes on every road, but its expensive and would take a long time to build.

They feel that just adding a new lane will not improve traffic because everyone will use it (thats from the video, not my own belief). The new lane will only have five exit/entry points so everyone will keep moving at 50 mph. If you open it up to general traffic then everyone will use it and weave in and out, and as a result slow all the lanes down.

If the people who are going to use it are the ones paying for it, then I am all for it. It also gives people an option of paying if they need to get somewhere in a hurry. If about 25% of the population will regularly use these two new lanes, then the remaining 4 lanes will have 25% less cars than they currently do. They also are going to have express buses that will use these lanes which they will link to a park and ride.

They feel that just adding a new lane will not improve traffic because everyone will use it (thats from the video, not my own belief). The new lane will only have five exit/entry points so everyone will keep moving at 50 mph. If you open it up to general traffic then everyone will use it and weave in and out, and as a result slow all the lanes down.

The point in bold is the one I really don't understand. I know you said it's not your belief, but I'm going to suggest why it makes no sense anyway, because I'm arguementative like that. OK, so you add a new lane...if you charge people to use it, less people will use it. So, how does having less people use the lane improve traffic better than having more people use the lane. It only improves traffic more for the people that are IN THAT LANE. For the people that are not in that lane, I mean, obviously it would be better for them if there were more cars being siphoned off into the new lane. This seems pretty clear to me. I don't know what I'm missing.

Now, the point not in bold maybe goes a little way towards explaining that. But that really only works in the worst case scenario--namely, that the traffic in the other lanes continues to be really slow. The HOV lanes in California work like this, where you can only get in or out every couple of miles or so, and for the most part, it makes those lanes slower than the rest. Because there's always the one guy in the HOV lane who is chilling out at 45 mph. And you can't get around him. So, it only makes sense if the rest of traffic is going slower than that guy. Which is certainly the case during rush hour in Miami, but I still don't see how limiting entry and exit points helps the other 4 lanes of traffic, at least not significantly.

What they should do is take all the money from these tolls and put it in a fund for public transportation, so they can actually solve the problem instead of putting a crappy band-aid on it. That way all the rich folks who are benefitting from this proposal are at least ultimately putting the money back into the city so that it helps everyone else. Call it twisted trickle-down economics...

The point in bold is the one I really don't understand. I know you said it's not your belief, but I'm going to suggest why it makes no sense anyway, because I'm arguementative like that. OK, so you add a new lane...if you charge people to use it, less people will use it. So, how does having less people use the lane improve traffic better than having more people use the lane. It only improves traffic more for the people that are IN THAT LANE. For the people that are not in that lane, I mean, obviously it would be better for them if there were more cars being siphoned off into the new lane. This seems pretty clear to me. I don't know what I'm missing.

Now, the point not in bold maybe goes a little way towards explaining that. But that really only works in the worst case scenario--namely, that the traffic in the other lanes continues to be really slow. The HOV lanes in California work like this, where you can only get in or out every couple of miles or so, and for the most part, it makes those lanes slower than the rest. Because there's always the one guy in the HOV lane who is chilling out at 45 mph. And you can't get around him. So, it only makes sense if the rest of traffic is going slower than that guy. Which is certainly the case during rush hour in Miami, but I still don't see how limiting entry and exit points helps the other 4 lanes of traffic, at least not significantly.

What they should do is take all the money from these tolls and put it in a fund for public transportation, so they can actually solve the problem instead of putting a crappy band-aid on it. That way all the rich folks who are benefitting from this proposal are at least ultimately putting the money back into the city so that it helps everyone else. Call it twisted trickle-down economics...

the theory is that the reason there is a lot of traffic is because people are switching in and out of lanes to get off at exits (as well as slow drivers). Opening up another general lane will help a little but we will still have the same problems (i.e. cars will still be switching lanes). Having a pay lane will allow cars to average 50 mph at rush hour (I am not positive how they will ensure this happens) In theory, the two pay lanes will be able to move more traffic than the other four lanes. They also figure that people who will pay to bypass traffic will also drive atleast the speed limit. General traffic has 16 wheelers, elderly people, slower drivers, etc... It wouldn't make sense for someone to pay to use the "fast lane" and drive 40 mph.

Now the reason this will improve general traffic is because there will be 25%-30% less cars in the other four lanes.

I totally agree with the last point. Adding a lane here and there is fine for a few years, but not in the long run. By 2020, miami-dade county will add one million people. Public transportation is the key.