What the SF Chronicle is saying about Mando

anotherrealfan

Come one, claiming territories does not make you a large market. You really think there are a lot of royals fans in nebraska, arkansas, iowa and oklahoma? I would hope they have fans in missouri since that is the state the team is located in.

So do the Giants have fans in Oakland and Alameda? That is part of their media market too.

Come one, claiming territories does not make you a large market. You really think there are a lot of royals fans in nebraska, arkansas, iowa and oklahoma? I would hope they have fans in missouri since that is the state the team is located in.

So do the Giants have fans in Oakland and Alameda? That is part of their media market too.

Of course they do. Thats in the metro area. Fans can regularly drive to games. I am sure not everyone in oakland is an A's fan (and not everyone is SF is a giants fan for that matter)

You really think people in nebraska (lincoln is 200 miles away) or Arkansas (KC is probably 250 miles from the arkansas border) are going to games and or fans? The answer is no.

Of course they do. Thats in the metro area. Fans can regularly drive to games. I am sure not everyone in oakland is an A's fan (and not everyone is SF is a giants fan for that matter)

You really think people in nebraska (lincoln is 200 miles away) or Arkansas (KC is probably 250 miles from the arkansas boarder) are going to games and or fans? The answer is no.

Not everyone, but enough to give the Royals and MLB grief over being blacked out on MLB.tv in favor of RSTN. Enough fans to make the Royals walk from FSN years back and start RSTN. Now that the Royals are moving to FSN Midwest again in 2008, the fans in these areas will get games.

But Nebraska and Arkansas both have Royals followings. Omaha has a Royals farm team and remember the owner of the Royals lives in Arkansas and could not see his own team's games in his own home.

The Giants split their #5 TV market with the A's evenly as both teams have games available in the same areas at the same time. It helps the Giants are part owned by 680 KNBR and KTVU-TV, which are also rightsholders. But before the AT&T Park era, the A's were tops in the Bay Area.

You really think people in nebraska (lincoln is 200 miles away) or Arkansas (KC is probably 250 miles from the arkansas boarder) are going to games and or fans? The answer is no.

Not everyone, but enough to give the Royals and MLB grief over being blacked out on MLB.tv in favor of RSTN. Enough fans to make the Royals walk from FSN years back and start RSTN. Now that the Royals are moving to FSN Midwest again in 2008, the fans in these areas will get games.

But Nebraska and Arkansas both have Royals followings. Omaha has a Royals farm team and remember the owner of the Royals lives in Arkansas and could not see his own team's games in his own home.

The Giants split their #5 TV market with the A's evenly as both teams have games available in the same areas at the same time. It helps the Giants are part owned by 680 KNBR and KTVU-TV, which are also rightsholders. But before the AT&T Park era, the A's were tops in the Bay Area.

Black out rules are different then your market. On mlb.tv the marlins are blacked out in all of florida (If I am not mistaken). To assume that the marlins are pooling fans from p-cola is foolish. Thats 7 hours away. Their market is Dade, broward and palm beach.

Having a minor league team doesnt make a place fans of a certain team. I doubt there were any marlins fans in maine when the sea dogs were an affiliate.

If you are looking at the league as a whole, KC is a small market. Marlins are not because they are in one of the largest tv markets in the league. However the marlins act like one because they dont have money to spend.

But the Giants didn't have (and some argue still don't have) the money to spend until AT&T Park opened.

While the Orioles, in a much smaller city than San Francisco, are rolling in the dough and refuse to spend much.

They are all big league clubs and big league cities. The statement he made was incorrect. Miami and Kansas City are not small cities, sure they may be smaller baseball markets compared to New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago...but they are still big cities with influence and dollars.

To deride KC and MIA because the fans in those cities don't pour proverbial acid on players they don't like is a bit unfair. San Diego is a tiny market in geography (just one or two counties in California basically) but they draw well, have laid back fans, and have actually made a good amount of money.

Are "small" cities dumping grounds for players that don't work? No, just look at Messenger. He had some issues in Miami on and off the field, but are we dumping him to San Francisco? I guess time will tell.

The article was rude and makes me glad we took San Fran out in the playoffs so well in 1997 and 2003. :)

f*** The Giants :chair

BTW, JetsMania...I understand what you say about Pensacola. But folks there with Cox Cable pay for 95 Marlins games and that money goes to FSN Florida and the Marlins. I believe it may be $1-2 per customer per month on the low end. So even if they don't care, they still put money in the team's pockets. But don't underestimate the fanbase of this team statewide. I was surprised in Tallahassee and surrounding areas how many people cared to watch the team, root for the team, or just enjoyed the play of the team.

But the Giants didn't have (and some argue still don't have) the money to spend until AT&T Park opened.

While the Orioles, in a much smaller city than San Francisco, are rolling in the dough and refuse to spend much.

They are all big league clubs and big league cities. The statement he made was incorrect. Miami and Kansas City are not small cities, sure they may be smaller baseball markets compared to New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago...but they are still big cities with influence and dollars.

To deride KC and MIA because the fans in those cities don't pour proverbial acid on players they don't like is a bit unfair. San Diego is a tiny market in geography (just one or two counties in California basically) but they draw well, have laid back fans, and have actually made a good amount of money.

Are "small" cities dumping grounds for players that don't work? No, just look at Messenger. He had some issues in Miami on and off the field, but are we dumping him to San Francisco? I guess time will tell.

The article was rude and makes me glad we took San Fran out in the playoffs so well in 1997 and 2003. :)

f*** The Giants :chair

KC is a small city (metro area) by MLB standards. Only the team the marlins are playing today has a smaller population. I think the point he was making is that its KC vs New York, not KC vs Barrow, Alaska. So the smaller market teams cant outspend the big boys, thus making them a small market.

For the record the metro san diego is 17th largest in the US.

Regardless, I totally agree with your last point. f*** THE GIANTS

BTW, JetsMania...I understand what you say about Pensacola. But folks there with Cox Cable pay for 95 Marlins games and that money goes to FSN Florida and the Marlins. I believe it may be $1-2 per customer per month on the low end. So even if they don't care, they still put money in the team's pockets. But don't underestimate the fanbase of this team statewide. I was surprised in Tallahassee and surrounding areas how many people cared to watch the team, root for the team, or just enjoyed the play of the team.

They may pay without having a choice, if you get cable FSN is part of the package. However, I am sure there are fans in pensacola. I am sure there are royals fans in iowa and nebraska. I just wouldnt include them in the teams market since they arent really going to games and spending money on the team.

They may pay without having a choice, if you get cable FSN is part of the package. However, I am sure there are fans in pensacola. I am sure there are royals fans in iowa and nebraska. I just wouldnt include them in the teams market since they arent really going to games and spending money on the team.

Well, many of us on this board and over at FSN have worked on getting games on in more places. But FSN also carries the Noles and Rays.

I pay for Lifetime and Oxygen in my packages, but I never watch. I wouldn't want to stop people from enjoying those channels as long as I can afford my bill and get what I want in my package.

Cox customers in Pensacola and most of that part of the Panhandle do watch the channel though.

I just want to make it clear to everyone, Florida is not a MLB dumping ground. The Marlins OWN YOU BITCHES AND YOU KNOW IT! For Beinfest & Co.!

Go Fish :cool

Well lets clarify and say florida marlins. The drays could very well be a dumping ground.

The Devil Rays are Tampa Bay, no? :whistle

Well, many of us on this board and over at FSN have worked on getting games on in more places. But FSN also carries the Noles and Rays.

I pay for Lifetime and Oxygen in my packages, but I never watch. I wouldn't want to stop people from enjoying those channels as long as I can afford my bill and get what I want in my package.

Cox customers in Pensacola and most of that part of the Panhandle do watch the channel though.

I just want to make it clear to everyone, Florida is not a MLB dumping ground. The Marlins OWN YOU BITCHES AND YOU KNOW IT! For Beinfest & Co.!

Go Fish :cool

Well lets clarify and say florida marlins. The drays could very well be a dumping ground.

The Devil Rays are Tampa Bay, no? :whistle

Well they are included in the state of florida.

f*** the rays as well

Well they are included in the state of florida.

f*** the rays as well

I meant the team with Florida in the name, not the Tampa Bay entrant into the American League. :p

f*** the Rays as well is right. :)

Its funny because when you said that I automatically thought of the state of Florida. I just realized that I have never refered to our team as Florida, I just call them the marlins or say florida marlins.

Like if someone comes up to me and says "who are you a fan of?", I just say marlins.

Wow guys, this post turned fast from a Benitez thing to a semantics dispute on population. I just thought it is very good reading to read the hatred they have for Benitez and that they probably would have taken Jorge Julio if he was still here. It was so bad, in their position, that they are basically paying $5 million for Randy "there it goes" Messenger.

:lol Attention span of three week old puppies.

Its funny because when you said that I automatically thought of the state of Florida. I just realized that I have never refered to our team as Florida, I just call them the marlins or say florida marlins.

Like if someone comes up to me and says "who are you a fan of?", I just say marlins.

The box scores always say Florida. :cool

But, we all know Miami is the largest city of influence in the state of Florida. Just look at the Dolphins, you can even watch them up on WCTV in Tallahassee as long as the Jags aren't on the road where the NFL forces them to be on CBS in a certain area. The Fins have more games on TV in Tally than the Bucs, Falcons, or Jags. Not bad for being over 8 hours away and having to pass 2 other NFL teams to get there basically.

I pay for Lifetime and Oxygen in my packages, but I never watch.

Dont lie.

I think my dog watches them, that is my confession. :mischief

:notworthy

I heard capefish is an avid fan of 1am showing of Darma and Greg and lifetime. :)

That would be Frasier :shifty

The box scores always say Florida. :cool

But, we all know Miami is the largest city of influence in the state of Florida. Just look at the Dolphins, you can even watch them up on WCTV in Tallahassee as long as the Jags aren't on the road where the NFL forces them to be on CBS in a certain area. The Fins have more games on TV in Tally than the Bucs, Falcons, or Jags. Not bad for being over 8 hours away and having to pass 2 other NFL teams to get there basically.

I dont mean to nit pick your posts, but the reason the dolphins do that is because they have been around the longest.

Of course it also has to do with the fact that miami is the largest city of influence in the state.

Wow guys, this post turned fast from a Benitez thing to a semantics dispute on population. I just thought it is very good reading to read the hatred they have for Benitez and that they probably would have taken Jorge Julio if he was still here. It was so bad, in their position, that they are basically paying $5 million for Randy "there it goes" Messenger.

:lol Attention span of three week old puppies.

I think it has to do with the fact that it is a worthless article, so much so that we would rather talk about geography than analyze the writing.

The extent to which a city is a baseball town is not defined by the number of TVs that receive games. Look for tangible representation in attendance and public support for lobbying for a new stadium.

I look for tangible representation in TV Ratings and Dollars. FSN Florida is paying a good deal plus giving the Marlins a letter of credit on that deal in order to keep the team long term. That looks tangible to me. Money talks.

Oh, and re: the South Florida market vs. the split Giants / A's market. This market is certainly large enough. Per the US Census Bureau:

The Miami urban area (UA) is the nation's 5th-largest, with a population of 4,919,036.

The San Francisco-Oakland, CA UA is #12, with a pop of 3,228,605.

The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is the nation's 7th-largest, with a population of 5,463,857.

The San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA is the 12th-largest, with a population of 4,180,027.

/useless debate