Sheffield: Latin Players Easier To Control Than Blacks

Passion

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...mplate=printart

Latinos back Sheffield

Guillen is the most vocal, agreeing with his teammate's statements in recent magazine article.

Tom Gage / The Detroit News

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Did the Latin players on the Tigers rise up against Gary Sheffield on Tuesday for saying what he said about them? Hardly.

Carlos Guillen agreed with him -- said he was telling the truth.

Pudge Rodriguez went over and hugged him, showing there's not even a hint of a problem.

"Let the poor guy alone," Rodriguez said, kidding with the media. "Don't make me be his bodyguard."

If Sheffield upset any Latin players with his comments in GQ about how they are more easily controlled than black players, and how they're more easily told what to do, it wasn't visible in the Tigers' clubhouse.

"He's right," Guillen said. "I agree with him, big time. For example, me. They (meaning Major League Baseball) warned me for wearing my back pocket out. They fined Magglio (Ordonez) $1,000 for wearing his pocket out.

"But you see a lot of guys wearing a pocket out. If you're going to have a rule, have it for everybody. And if you fine Magglio, why not fine everybody?"

That's just a modern example to Guillen, however. The control starts when Latin players are at their youngest and most vulnerable. The control starts when they sign.

"Latin players, if they get released, go back to their country with nothing," Guillen said. "Where are you going to work if you don't have baseball? You lose everything. You lose your life. You're done.

"I've known a lot of players like that. They're doing nothing. They don't have good jobs.

"(American players) are already here. They just go home. But I also agree because how many Japanese players are there? For each one there is an interpreter and someone to give them a massage.

"How many Latin players are there? Thirty percent? But how many interpreters? You see any (masseurs) for Dominicans? No, you just have to play baseball.

"They have control over us. Easy. I'm happy to say that."

When asked if he disagreed with anything Sheffield said, Guillen said, "No."

"It's the truth. When I was in the Gulf Coast League, I hurt my elbow in the Gulf Coast League in extended spring training (with the Astros). I was in pain and had to stop playing because I couldn't throw.

"They called me and said, 'If you don't play tomorrow, you go home.' So I played DH the next day. That's control. I don't know if you get fined for saying that, but maybe (in his 10th major league season) I can talk a little bit now."

Was he scared he'd be sent home?

"Of course," Guillen said. "I was 18. I'm not saying all Latin players are scared like that, but a lot are."

When asked if he was surprised at the controversy over his comments in GQ, Sheffield said he was. Of Latin players, he said: "I thought I was paying them a bigger compliment than anything.

"There wasn't anything derogatory toward Latins or anybody else. I've been around Latin players for 20 years and have gotten along with every one of them. I love Latins just as well as I love blacks, just as well as I love whites. It doesn't matter to me.

"So where is the controversy? It's just the spin being put on it.

"I don't remember the article quote for quote, but they asked me a question, why there were so many Latin players as opposed to blacks. As I've said before, this is a baseball issue. I was just telling it like it is.

"They have more to lose than we do. You can send them back to the island, but we're already here.

"You have a lot of people trying to do things about it," Sheffield said about getting young African-Americans involved in baseball. "But is it working? No. I see the same old depressing stuff."

Sheffield believes the message doesn't get through, however, because of the messenger.

"Because it's me," he said. "But people might as well get used to it because it's not going to stop. I'm not going to stop. What I see I'm going to talk about. If anybody can show me where I'm wrong, then show me. But nobody has.

"I stay on the issue."

And the issue is?

"You can't find another Dwight Gooden. You can't find another Gary Sheffield?" Sheffield said. "We're right here -- and that's all I'm saying. If you haven't been in that environment (they came from), you don't know what it's like to get out of it."

Guillen's comments are definitely interesting. Although, I wonder how much he would be willing to talk if he wasn't Sheff's teammate. I personally think this whole situation is being blown wayyyy out of proportion by the media, as usual. To me, it's clear Sheffield wasn't trying to bash Latinos and definitely was not trying to be racist, either.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Guillen's comments are definitely interesting. Although, I wonder how much he would be willing to talk if he wasn't Sheff's teammate. I personally think this whole situation is being blown wayyyy out of proportion by the media, as usual. To me, it's clear Sheffield wasn't trying to bash Latinos and definitely was not trying to be racist, either.

Racism often isn't an active attitude. It lives in the passive acceptance of irrational stereotypes. Whether Sheffield intended to be racist or not, he certainly expressed a view of his own racial superiority. That is racism.

Racism often isn't an active attitude. It lives in the passive acceptance of irrational stereotypes. Whether Sheffield intended to be racist or not, he certainly expressed a view of his own racial superiority. That is racism.

I personally don't think Sheffield's point was an attempt to express a view of racial superiority. People can twist other's words to mean whatever they think, but I personally have a different view here than you on the meaning of what was said.

I personally don't think Sheffield's point was an attempt to express a view of racial superiority. People can twist other's words to mean whatever they think, but I personally have a different view here than you on the meaning of what was said.

Ok, what is your view on it? That he didn't say anything? He obviously said something racist. The only way you can think he didn't say something racist is if you think he didn't say anything at all.

I'm not really offended by this, and I get what he was trying to say, but it's still clearly a racist statement.

I didn't read all of Sheff's quotes. I only read what was posted here (copied below). I think that by being able to control Latin players better than black players I think maybe he means that Latin players are more apt to follow directions, orders, insstructions, etc. than black players because blacks don't like anyone telling them what to do and if that's what he meant then he was actually ripping blacks, not Latins.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. ? [it's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

Ok, what is your view on it? That he didn't say anything? He obviously said something racist. The only way you can think he didn't say something racist is if you think he didn't say anything at all.

I'm not really offended by this, and I get what he was trying to say, but it's still clearly a racist statement.

I think what he was aiming to say is that people feel more comfortable with latin players initially because they have a harder time to talk back due to the language barrier and fear of being sent from America back to their homelands. Carlos Guillen supported this theory. Whether or not it's true, whether or not anyone here believes it is one thing. To me, that was the message he was attempting to send. I don't think he was trying to bash latin playerss, I don't think he was attempting to say blacks are superior. Maybe he used some "politically incorrect" methods, but I don't believe he was trying to be a racist. Shoot me.

I think what he was aiming to say is that people feel more comfortable with latin players initially because they have a harder time to talk back due to the language barrier and fear of being sent from America back to their homelands. Carlos Guillen supported this theory. Whether or not it's true, whether or not anyone here believes it is one thing. To me, that was the message he was attempting to send. I don't think he was trying to bash latin playerss, I don't think he was attempting to say blacks are superior. Maybe he used some "politically incorrect" methods, but I don't believe he was trying to be a racist. Shoot me.

I mean, thats definetly racist, because you know he wouldn't say the same thing about whites. He's either trying to say hispanic players get preferential treatment over blacks, or that black players are better because they won't let them push them around. Either way, he's claiming the inferiority or superiority of one race over another.

I didn't read all of Sheff's quotes. I only read what was posted here (copied below). I think that by being able to control Latin players better than black players I think maybe he means that Latin players are more apt to follow directions, orders, insstructions, etc. than black players because blacks don't like anyone telling them what to do and if that's what he meant then he was actually ripping blacks, not Latins.

Thats along the lines how I felt about it.

Blacks are more or less uncontrolable, have little respect for authority whereas Latinos are more likely to toe the line, shut up, and more or less be mindless drones.

Could I be reading too much in to it? Sure.

Was he misquoted or was this taken out of context? Could have been.

That was my initial and current reaction to what he said though.

blacks are not interested because they want to "be like Mike" and play basketball////

Thanks for that stereotypical comment.

Douche.

thanks for calling me a douche, douche!!!

It has nothing to do with sterotype it has to do with the marketing of the NBA versus the less than brilliant marketing of baseball, the fact that little league ball has become an elitist sport, and the fact the majority of minor leaguers will never sniff the majors

i was pointing out the reasons for my answer, but you can't read, MJ was everywhere on TV and they wanted to emulate him!!!!....and I don't remember saying those OTHER things but you sure did!!!

thank you for the stereotypes!!! I guess I'm not that bad

• 1 month later...

I agree with Sheff it easier to keep latin ballplayers happy than African -Americans...

You can pay a latino in Tacos and burritos which is much cheaper than Fried Chicken and Ribs

To be serious the African-american athlete have stepped away from baseball in the era of the bling-bling Basdeball has lost its appeal. There are very few Alan Iversons, Shaqs type of personalities in baseball. Baseball has Tori Hunter and Dontrelle. The media have made Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb recognizable faces more so than say Ken Griffey Jr or even Barry Bonds, Is it the chicken or the egg? I am not sure but baseball, as much as I love it has not marketed itself to the hip-hop generation and has fallen appeal wise in the inner cities. There is a movement by the players to try to change that now. In little-leagues the faces are getting whiter and whiter. There is a culture still in the hispanic community that baseball have produced some of it's greatest Heros. Clemente, Aparicio and Marichal while countries like the Dominican Republic it is the road towards riches and glory away from a life of poverty and struggle. Don't see very many latinos in the NBA although the numbers are increasing there. You see even less latino in the NFL. The best latino player in the NBA is Carmelo Anthony and most people dont even know he is latino. In the NFL you do see a latino offensive linemen here and there but no real name of impact. There isn't anything close to a Ladanian Tomlinson or a Reggie Bush

I agree with Sheff it easier to keep latin ballplayers happy than African -Americans...

You can pay a latino in Tacos and burritos which is much cheaper than Fried Chicken and Ribs

To be serious the African-american athlete have stepped away from baseball in the era of the bling-bling Basdeball has lost its appeal. There are very few Alan Iversons, Shaqs type of personalities in baseball. Baseball has Tori Hunter and Dontrelle. The media have made Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb recognizable faces more so than say Ken Griffey Jr or even Barry Bonds, Is it the chicken or the egg? I am not sure but baseball, as much as I love it has not marketed itself to the hip-hop generation and has fallen appeal wise in the inner cities. There is a movement by the players to try to change that now. In little-leagues the faces are getting whiter and whiter. There is a culture still in the hispanic community that baseball have produced some of it's greatest Heros. Clemente, Aparicio while countries like the Dominican Republic it is the riches and glory away from a life of poverty and struggle. Don't see very many latinos in the NBA although the numbers are increasing there. You see even less latino in the NFL. The best latino player in the NBA is Carmelo Anthony and most people dont even know he is latino. In the NFL you do see a latino offensive linemen here and there but no real name of impact. There isn't anything close to a Ladanian Tomlinson or a Reggie Bush

"Chopped Liver"