Dontrelle Willis will "definitely be traded"

Hammerhead

Why not trade him to a team in the NL if they are willling to overpay? Dontrelle hasn't been dominating to any extent since 2005.

I've never really understood the "never trade within your division" mindset. The reasonings have no ground at all.

I spoke with Beinfest on a call-in show about 2 years ago and asked him directly if he would take "a little less" to trade outside the NL East.

LB was uequivicable, saying that he would always seek max return, even if it means trading within the division. He's done it several times (Carlos/Paul to NYM, Cliffy to MTL, Hampton to ATL to name just a few).

:thumbdown

Barton is a low B level prospect who should not be the centerpiece for any Dontrelle trade. Come on now.

:lol :lol :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are we talking about the same Brian Barton with the career .318/.420/.498 stat line and 70 SB to 22 CS(76% success rate) in the minors? The one who is 25?

Because if that is the same Brian Barton you have no idea what your talking about.

Not saying I want to trade Dontrelle to acquire him, but "low b level prospect" is a laughable terminology.

There is no reason why he would ever be the centerpiece to a deal for Willis

Never said he should be. Just calling him a "low B level prospect" is silly.

I never wanted him as a Centerpiece. I like Barton a lot, and he isn't going anywhere soon in Cleveland. I think he is more attainable now than ever, so he might be a little undervalued which would be an awesome grab. Dontrelle's value will be shot by next year... the offseason is the longest you can hold off. Barton should not be a centerpiece, and if we can grab an advanced prospect arm of equal value to Barton, and maybe one of a little less, I would take that in a heartbeat.

You guys are really amazing, Dontrelle is an awesome pitcher and just cuz

he's had a few bad starts you're all willing to trade him now. Yesterday

was a pretty bad start but he still only gave up two runs. I think he's

gonna get it together and lead the team in wins at the end of the

year. Anyway, I don't believe anything sportscenter or any of

the rest of the ESPN shows say since all they know is

Yankees vs. Red sox. Once the team gets healthy

they should be on their way. They certainly need

to acquire a centerfielder but I don't think they

need to send Dontrelle packing to do that.

Hopefully better than the "Nick Markakis, Jorge Julio, and Hayden Penn" and "John Danks and Hank Blaylock" deals they were entertaining for Big Tex.

yea, it would suck to have Markakis :rolleyes:

It would be great to have Markakis, but him as a centerpiece with Penn and Julio for Big Tex was....bleh.

Hopefully better than the "Nick Markakis, Jorge Julio, and Hayden Penn" and "John Danks and Hank Blaylock" deals they were entertaining for Big Tex.

yea, it would suck to have Markakis :rolleyes:

It would be great to have Markakis, but him as a centerpiece with Penn and Julio for Big Tex was....bleh.

I'm not sure about that.

At the time, Hayden Penn was one of their top 2 pitching prospects and we all know how good Nick Markakis could turn out to be.

It just so happens that Hanley decided to become a superstar, Hayden Penn had TJ surgey(I think), Anibal Sanchez threw a no hitter

not to mention Jorge Julio went off the deep end, while Jesus Delgado/Harvey Garcia are looking like legit pitching prospects

Here are my proposals.

Trade #1

TB Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

FLA Gets:

CF Rocco Baldelli

SP Jamie Shields

IF Jorge Cantu

Trade #2

TOR Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

OF Joe Borchard

FLA Gets:

OF Alexis Rios

SP Gustavo Chacin

RP Jeremy Accardo / Brandon League

IF Russ Adams

Here are my proposals.

Trade #1

TB Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

FLA Gets:

CF Rocco Baldelli

SP Jamie Shields

IF Jorge Cantu

Trade #2

TOR Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

OF Joe Borchard

FLA Gets:

OF Alexis Rios

SP Gustavo Chacin

IF Russ Adams

Not sure why TB or TOR do either of those deals

Neither of those have any single remoteness of happening.

No one wants Andino and we are the only team who wants Borchard.

Tampa wont give up Shields and Baldelli for basically just D-Train. They have Zobrist and Brignac at SS already, and the Iwamura could move to the middle infield as well when Longoria is ready.

Accardo is Torontos closer and will probably split time with BJ Ryan in that role next year as well(or, at least, thats what Blue Jays fans I know think). And Rios is Rios.

Here are my proposals.

Trade #1

TB Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

FLA Gets:

CF Rocco Baldelli

SP Jamie Shields

IF Jorge Cantu

Trade #2

TOR Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

OF Joe Borchard

FLA Gets:

OF Alexis Rios

SP Gustavo Chacin

IF Russ Adams

I hate when this starts to happen and people assume we can just trade whatever we want and get EVERYTHING we want in return. I mean, I would propose those trades too I guess, if I didnt mind the other teams laughing at me.

If the marlins come to a point where they have to choose between Willis and Cabrera:

is it safe to safe everyone would pick cabrera?

From an entertainment aspect, I'd want Willis over Cabrera, no contest what so ever. I love Willis, I love his attitude, the way he plays the game. In almost every game he pitches, I can say I enjoyed watching the game, win or lose. Cabrera's a prima donna. When Willis leaves, it will be a very sad day for me.

From an orginization standpoint, of winning, it's again no contest: Cabrera is in very limited company with what he's accomplished at his age. At the end of the day, he has the chance of being the greatest hitter of all time. Willis's skills are overrated and considering what we could get for him, it makes sense to trade him. Doesn't change the fact that I'll miss him dearly.

Here are my proposals.

Trade #1

TB Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

FLA Gets:

CF Rocco Baldelli

SP Jamie Shields

IF Jorge Cantu

Trade #2

TOR Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

OF Joe Borchard

FLA Gets:

OF Alexis Rios

SP Gustavo Chacin

IF Russ Adams

Those deals are not feasable. Maybe if you threw in Volstad and/or Thompson, and another decent starter like Willingham, Jacobs, or Uggla... but even then, not that fantastic of a deal for anyone.

Here are my proposals.

Trade #1

TB Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

FLA Gets:

CF Rocco Baldelli

SP Jamie Shields

IF Jorge Cantu

Trade #2

TOR Gets:

SP Dontrelle Willis

IF Robert Andino

OF Joe Borchard

FLA Gets:

OF Alexis Rios

SP Gustavo Chacin

IF Russ Adams

Not sure why TB or TOR do either of those deals

Maybe we got them drunk? I mean really really absinthe and moonshine together passed out drunk and forged the signatures :)

I like the idea of Willis + 1-2 prospects(solid ones) for crawford if there was any truth at all to that before. His contract isnt too crazy so we would have him for a while. Plus it would give them a future rotation of Kazmir, Willis, Price, Sonnastine, Shield (That is a sick 5!), perhaps with one of the 5 and one of our relievers like tank or lindstrom.

To me, it just boils down to the Marlins not having any real reason to trade Dontrelle this year or next unless they get absolutely bowled over.

I really think all the scaled back talk of finances means the Marlins are really reluctant to scream poor while standing in front of a city and state that are also crying poor, because many of us here realize the last thing Loria wants to do is open up his books and be exposed.

There's no rational argument that can be made to me that says Dontrelle Willis will not be on the Marlins in 2008 for any reason other than a baseball decision. It isn't economically driven, and as such, we'll either get an awesome deal or we'll keep him. Unless you have a bizarre 3-teamer in which Saltalamacchia ends up here and Dontrelle ends up somewhere other than Atlanta, I can't see a reasonable trade that improves our outlooks for 2008 as I think we'll be really reluctant to trade for a wealth of raw blue chip talent.

To me, it just boils down to the Marlins not having any real reason to trade Dontrelle this year or next unless they get absolutely bowled over.

I really think all the scaled back talk of finances means the Marlins are really reluctant to scream poor while standing in front of a city and state that are also crying poor, because many of us here realize the last thing Loria wants to do is open up his books and be exposed.

There's no rational argument that can be made to me that says Dontrelle Willis will not be on the Marlins in 2008 for any reason other than a baseball decision. It isn't economically driven, and as such, we'll either get an awesome deal or we'll keep him. Unless you have a bizarre 3-teamer in which Saltalamacchia ends up here and Dontrelle ends up somewhere other than Atlanta, I can't see a reasonable trade that improves our outlooks for 2008 as I think we'll be really reluctant to trade for a wealth of raw blue chip talent.

Good post. This is how I see it playing out too.

I actually feel a little sad that I'd be in support of the right package for D-Train right now. He and Cabs are two players I thought I'd never want to see go, but Dontrelle just hasn't been Dontrelle lately. I'd miss all the little stuff he did and how he is the face of the franchise (and boy will the Marlins get demolished in the media for trading him...), but the fact is, he just hasn't been pitching well. And we've got enough starting pitching (when healthy) to be able to replace him, IMO.

Why not trade him to a team in the NL if they are willling to overpay? Dontrelle hasn't been dominating to any extent since 2005.

While it is apparent that he still has value to other MLB teams, trading him before this year's deadline puts the Marlins in a greater position to win in 2008 than keeping him would.

You don't trade him because trading him weakens the '07 and '08 Marlins and this team's window is '07 and '08.

I don't understand why so many people insist in trading starting pitching away when starting pitching is our weakness.

His presence in the clubhouse would be missed, not his performance on the field. For that reason I think he should be traded if the right package should be offered. That could potentially make the team stronger for a run in 2008.

I don't see how you can really say starting pitching is the weakness when the Marlins spent the entire offseason after 2005 acquiring it. Just because there are injuries and some inconsistencies that need to be worked out doesn't mean the stuff isn't there. Olsen, Sanchez, and Johnson to a slightly lesser extent all have decent stuff. Dontrelle on the other hand appears to be more relient on his unconventional delivery than anything and hitters are beginning to figure him out.

Defense at every single position on the field is a weakness. Catcher is a weakness. Centerfield is a weakness. Not starting pitching.

I should have said starting pitching is the biggest weakness. C and CF are weaknesses but overall we have one of the top hitting teams in the league and although the defense is terrible that will continue to be the case as long as Uggla, Hanley, Cabrera, Hammer, Jacobs and Hermida are playing.

Regarding the rotation, Mitre and Kim are the only ones that have pitched well. The others have stunk or are injured. My concern with Mitre and Kim is that their checkered past makes it questionable that they'll maintain their current level. My guess is that Mitre and Kim will decline, DTrain will improve and Wes and Olsen will continue pitching like crap. JJ, Nolasco and Anibal are injured. I don't know how anyonwe thinks this is a strong rotation (based on performance, not hype) and removing DTrain who is the only one with a strong track record will only make things that much worse.