Obermueller

djm305

He has only given up more than 3 ER in one game (it was that ugly 7 run game). But other than that he has been pretty consistent. Not sure why so many people on this board are down on him.

He's also only gone 6+ innings once, averaging 5 1/3 innings per start, has a 5.32 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP in games started, righties are hitting .293 off him, has a 5.97 K/9 ratio, and the Marlins are 3-4 in the 7 games he has started.

He's done well for us, considering he's what, our #8 starter? Nobody is expecting something amazing out of him. But he's best as a long reliever, not as a starter, and once guys gets healthy that's the role he'll be put in.

He has only given up more than 3 ER in one game (it was that ugly 7 run game). But other than that he has been pretty consistent. Not sure why so many people on this board are down on him.

He's also only gone 6+ innings once, averaging 5 1/3 innings per start, has a 5.32 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP in games started, righties are hitting .293 off him, has a 5.97 K/9 ratio, and the Marlins are 3-4 in the 7 games he has started.

He's done well for us, considering he's what, our #8 starter? Nobody is expecting something amazing out of him. But he's best as a long reliever, not as a starter, and once guys gets healthy that's the role he'll be put in.

actually he has 2 games where he pitched at least 6 innings. Another where he went 5 2/3 and then 3 games where he went 5 IP and in all but 1 start limited the game to 3 ER or less.

17 Earned Runs in 38 innings. Like a high 3's ERA. He hasn't been awful, but he shouldn't be in our starting rotation.

actually if you take away the 1 ugly game (7ER) his ERA in the other 6 starts is right around 3.89 not great by any means but not horrible either.

I just dont like him, he is way too easy to hit. any1 can hit a homer off of him.

He just doesn't have the MLB stuff.

ok thanks for the intelligent response

17 Earned Runs in 38 innings. Like a high 3's ERA. He hasn't been awful, but he shouldn't be in our starting rotation.

actually if you take away the 1 ugly game (7ER) his ERA in the other 6 starts is right around 3.89 not great by any means but not horrible either.

I'm mostly judging him by the fact that he's 31 and has a career ERA+ of 76. Thats awful. He's actually pitching slightly better than his career norm right now.

I'm mostly judging him by the fact that he's 31 and has a career ERA+ of 76. Thats awful. He's actually pitching slightly better than his career norm right now.

I see well I am not talking about his career. But I will say this right now, I would prefer to start Obermueller over Olsen. Not saying Wes is better for our team over the long haul. But right now Wes is pitching better than Olsen.

I see well I am not talking about his career. But I will say this right now, I would prefer to start Obermueller over Olsen. Not saying Wes is better for our team over the long haul. But right now Wes is pitching better than Olsen.

Olsen is pitching under his ability, and Obermueller is pitching right at his ability. That says to me that Olsen's got a better chance to improve upon his piss poor numbers, whereas Obermueller's pretty much at where he's going to be.

My opinion from seeing him pitch is that hes a solid long reliever and a serviceable 5th starter. In fact, 5-6 innings an ERA of around 4 is really all you want from a 5th starter. True he had that one horrible game, but allowing 7 runs in one game is not as bad as consistently allowing 5 runs, which he hasn't done so far this year. He has decent breaking pitches and I believe hes done his job admirably and allowed the team to have chances to win in games hes pitched, which has helped us float around .500 so far this year.

True that Obermueller is nothing particularly special. But this another great example of stats not telling the whole story. If anyone has the time I'd love to see his stats excluding his one bad game against the mets. Which was the only game he started where he didnt at least leave us with a chance to win the game.

A 4.07 ERA and a 1.54 WHIP. That's not included the two times he's come out of the bullpen, where he went 5 innings total giving up 2 ER.

His .BAA against is the most telling story. If he pitched more innings, I'm sure his stats would be a lot higher. He gets pulled before any big damage can get done.

actually he has 2 games where he pitched at least 6 innings. Another where he went 5 2/3 and then 3 games where he went 5 IP and in all but 1 start limited the game to 3 ER or less.

5 IP isn't good, that's 4 innings of bullpen work. Our bullpen is the most overworked in the majors because a lot of the pitchers we are using have failed to go deep into games. He also has two additional games in which more then 3 runs were scored, they were just unearned runs. Both times, runs would have been scored regardless, because the hitters were lighting him up even without the errors.

Obermueller has done what's basically asked of him, nobody can expect a #8 guy to be something stellar. I'm grateful for what he's done for us so far this year. But he's nothing special.

Oby has done a great job. He is what he is.

Why we all can't be happy that we've got a solid contribution from someone who we didnt expect it from at all is beyond me

Thats fine. We can be happy with what he's done, but to say he deserves a rotation spot over Scott Olsen is ridiculous.

Compare him to other #5 starters and I'm sure hes right on par with the league average. But if you compare him to like you say, the #6-8 emergency starters that teams have. He's done a very good job.

Yes, I'm saying he's done well for what his role is. My point is, the starter of this thread is trying to make him seem like he's something special. Considering the fact that right handed hitters are hitting nearly .300 off him, I think it's safe to say that a lot of things have gone his way so far this year. If he keeps pitching all year, we're going to see a lot more games like the Mets game. Once guys get healthy, he'll be the first guy out of our rotation.

I'm not bashing Obermueller at all. But he is what he is.

Why we all can't be happy that we've got a solid contribution from someone who we didnt expect it from at all is beyond me

That is all I am saying. I was just curious why so many people on here just dislike the guy. Anyhowm, No Big Deal.

Compare him to other #5 starters and I'm sure hes right on par with the league average. But if you compare him to like you say, the #6-8 emergency starters that teams have. He's done a very good job.

Yes, I'm saying he's done well for what his role is. My point is, the starter of this thread is trying to make him seem like he's something special. Considering the fact that right handed hitters are hitting nearly .300 off him, I think it's safe to say that a lot of things have gone his way so far this year. If he keeps pitching all year, we're going to see a lot more games like the Mets game. Once guys get healthy, he'll be the first guy out of our rotation.

I'm not bashing Obermueller at all. But he is what he is.

WHEN did I say he is somethign special???? IF you READ my OP you will see that I was just saying he has not been as bad as some people make him out to be.

He's doing all he can I suppose with this god awful defense. I still prefer Kim over him though.

Agreed.

Thats fine. We can be happy with what he's done, but to say he deserves a rotation spot over Scott Olsen is ridiculous.

Jeeez people like to twist things around on here. I did not say he deserves a rotation spot over Olsen. All I said was right nwo he is pitching better than Olsen.

Jeeez people like to twist things around on here. I did not say he deserves a rotation spot over Olsen. All I said was right nwo he is pitching better than Olsen.

That kind of sounds like, at least for now, he deserves to be starting over Olsen in the rotation. Which means that he deserves a spot in the rotation over Olsen. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

That kind of sounds like, at least for now, he deserves to be starting over Olsen in the rotation. Which means that he deserves a spot in the rotation over Olsen. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Yep, I was getting the same 'implications'. ;o

If Olsen gets pounded today I would not be surprised to see JJ take his spot once he's ready around the 18th of this month. I say that because he's gotten pounded his last two starts and his next start will be vs the Indians and I don't think that's a good match-up for him so by the time JJ comes back Olsen could have four poundings in a row and an ERA around 6.00.

What I said was more a hit on Olsen than a NOD for Obermueller. I have really been dissapointed with Olsen and so IMO I think if Wes started the next game INSTEAD of Olsen I would have no problem with that (although right now I know that won't happen cause we need both of them to start until we get healthier). But some of you on here are just always looking to ridcule people. So whatever I don't expect you to agree with me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.