Great article on the 97 team

Guest marlins02

Guest marlins02

i posted a link in the uniform thread but saw nobody posted it so i figured id put it up. its pretty long but very good i think, i especially like when it talks about feelings towards the 03 team compared to the 97 team. takes you back.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

its split in 3 pages so im just posting the link (the shadow champs)

Good article, especially where are they now. About a month ago I was looking at stats on Baseball America and Ed Vosberg was still playing baseball in the Mexican League. He's no longer listed on the roster but his stats weren't too horrible for a 500 yr old man. P.S. Hector Almonte was playing there too.

The part where it alludes to MLB not really talking about us is true, we are one of the only World Series teams under Bud's watch conspicuously absent from promotions on TV, in print and in the MLB offices. Which is especially shocking when you think how Game 7 ended.

Bigger moment: a bases loaded single to win it for the home team, or a fly out to centerfield to win it for the road team?

Well, obviously B because the Yankees beat the Mets that way ;)

That game 7 was probably the most exciting game i've ever seen. Heck,

that whole series was amazing. The only reason the Diamondbacks'

series gets more attention is cuz they were facing the yankees and

most people remember it for the yankees losing and not the

D-backs winning it. I personally remember it for BY Kim

giving up homeruns.

Looking at a picture of the '97 championship ring compared to the '03 ring makes me realize (along with the firesale) what a cheap @$$ Huizenga was. Then again, he was ready to get out of baseball so spending as little as possible does make some sense.

Now I'm as big an anti-Wayne person as you will find, but actually that '97 ring was equivalent to all other rings given out at that time. And now. There is a great display of all the WS Championship rings in Cooperstown. I have some video of them and I believe my wife took a couple of stills. I'll check on that. Anyway, I always felt that '03 ring was overkill, to put it mildly. The remarks at the exhibit in Cooperstown from the people looking at all the rings pretty much confirmed that for me. Almost to a person people were first saying WOW... then basically... yuck. Many actually laughed at the ostentatiousness(sp) of it.

Looking at a picture of the '97 championship ring compared to the '03 ring makes me realize (along with the firesale) what a cheap @$$ Huizenga was. Then again, he was ready to get out of baseball so spending as little as possible does make some sense.

Now I'm as big an anti-Wayne person as you will find, but actually that '97 ring was equivalent to all other rings given out at that time. And now. There is a great display of all the WS Championship rings in Cooperstown. I have some video of them and I believe my wife took a couple of stills. I'll check on that. Anyway, I always felt that '03 ring was overkill, to put it mildly. The remarks at the exhibit in Cooperstown from the people looking at all the rings pretty much confirmed that for me. Almost to a person people were first saying WOW... then basically... yuck. Many actually laughed at the ostentatiousness(sp) of it.

I agree, those '03 rings were hideous. For an art dealer, Loria has horrible taste.

Yeah, I second that, and had the same observance of people at that display.