Coghlan and RVH to Futures Game

Ramp

At this year's Futures Game in San Francisco, the Marlins will have two representatives. On the world team will be rhp Rick Vanden Hurk, while the US roster will have 2b Chris Coghlan.

Signed at age 17 out of the Marlins? Dutch academy, Rick Vanden Hurk has been one of the more successful European imports in the system. Pitching in just 8 games between the Gulf Coast League and Jupiter, Rick was absolutely dominant last season. He had a combined 1.80era to go with a 0.92whip and a 14.76k?s per 9 innings. The one caution area was the 5.04 walks per 9 that he was allowing, but that can be attributed to his lack of command after coming off of elbow surgery. Throwing on a steep downhill plane, Rick throws a 96-97mph fastball to go with a big 12-6 rolling curveball, which hitters have a hard time with coming off his fastball. Vanden Hurk was invited to the Hawaii Winter League this off-season and had a very promising short season there. His velocity started to fade as the HWB season progressed but that is not much to worry about. In 40 innings, Rick compiled a 2-2 record with a 3.60era with 17 walks and 60 strikeouts. Opposing batters hit just .162 off of him in the HWB. This year, The Flying Dutchman, has split his time between AA Carolina and the big leagues. RVH has been dominant this year in Carolina, even if his 3.46era suggests that he has just been solid. Opposing batters are hitting must .216 off of him while he has 52 strikeouts in 41.2ip. His major league tour of duty has been a different story. In 29 innings of work, he has a 8.38era while opposing hitters are batting .284 off of him. Walks have been a problem has he walked 17 while he has struck out 32. There is a good chance he sees another tour of duty with the Marlins this year as injuries have been a problem for them all season with most of their starters seeing a stint on the disabled list.

Another of the 2006 draft class, Chris Coghlan was selected out of Ole Miss with the 36th overall pick in the draft. His final season at Mississippi, he hit .357/.424/.509 with with 6 homeruns to go along with a 27:21 BB:K ratio. Even though he never hit more than 6 homeruns in a college season, Coghlan is a polished hitter and most scouts believe he will be able to hit for a good average with a wood bat. Three summers ago in the Cape Cod League, he proved them right, winning the batting title with a .326 average. Chris had a fine debut in Jamestown last season for the Fish. Although he did not show much power, his average and on base percentage were right where they should have been. Coghlan takes pride in not striking out and drawing plenty of walks. Chris made the move from the hot corner to 2b this season. The move was made possible because his arm was not quite good enough for 3b, nor was his pending power potential. He has been simply outstanding in Greensboro this season. He is hitting .332/.432/.553 with 8 homeruns in 244 at bats. His 57rbi are good for second place in the SALLY as well. Furthermore, he has 14sb to just 3cs, and has 40 walks to just 29 strikeouts. At some point in the near future he should see high-A Jupiter, but there's a chance he skips that altogether and goes right to AA Carolina. With his performance this year, Chris has become the best positional prospect in the organization.

You can find the rest of the roster here

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this was posted.. i just guess I didnt realize that we have a few youngsters in the Futures game during all-star weekend. Chris Coghlan on the US team and Big Rick Vanden Hurk for the World team. Congrats to them

does anyone else hear the computer sounds after every out??

yeah and it's driving me crazy

Me too...I thought it was just my computer, but at least it's not.

Coghlan has looked pretty lousy on defense so far.

Vanden Hurk pitched pretty well.