Fredi's Attitude

i dont know about you guys but i would love to see Fredi take on more of a Girardi attitude and be a lot more stern.... much more infield and outfield practice and making sure the basics are down becuase that is what always seems to hurt us. im not saying implement a no facial hair policy but he needs to stop seeming so nice and that everything will just work out.

i dont know about you guys but i would love to see Fredi take on more of a Girardi attitude and be a lot more stern.... much more infield and outfield practice and making sure the basics are down becuase that is what always seems to hurt us. im not saying implement a no facial hair policy but he needs to stop seeming so nice and that everything will just work out.

Well I cant pretend to know what Fredi's practice regiments are because I don't know. Who knows. he may be addressing the defensive issues more than we think.

With that said, its clear he is not an in your face type manager like Girardi and there are a few players who are suffering this year because of it.

We can't have our cake and eat it too. Who knows... Fredi could be really smacking these guys around in the clubhouse. It would be nice to have the perfect manager, but that will never happen.

Could the increase of errors be because of the loss of Perry Hill? Fox and Kranny should be blammed for the horrible pitching and defense. Not Fredi... he works with what he has. You can do so much with horrible pitching and defense. Yes, he does make stupid decisions but if our pitching and defense were better Fredi would not be put in a spot to fail.

Well I cant pretend to know what Fredi's practice regiments are because I don't know. Who knows. he may be addressing the defensive issues more than we think.

With that said, its clear he is not an in your face type manager like Girardi and there are a few players who are suffering this year because of it.

How did you know this for a fact?

We can't have our cake and eat it too. Who knows... Fredi could be really smacking these guys around in the clubhouse. It would be nice to have the perfect manager, but that will never happen.

Could the increase of errors be because of the loss of Perry Hill? Fox and Kranny should be blammed for the horrible pitching and defense. Not Fredi... he works with what he has. You can do so much with horrible pitching and defense. Yes, he does make stupid decisions but if our pitching and defense were better Fredi would not be put in a spot to fail.

It does seem our defense is worse this year, but I read in the paper we were 28th last year-so even with Perry, we had problems. The only other point is the players are a year older and should be improving defensively. Look around the horn, Jacobs is not known as a good glove, average at best, Uggie may never me more than average at best, Hanley, while swift, does not have the range as the better SS's but still is above average, Miggy-well, what more needs to be said except he likes it there, so do not expect Brooks Robinson. Hammer won't be better than average, CF doesn't count and RF has been an adventure this year. Catcher, great arm and linebacker material, but don't throw it on a bounce, he has not caught one of those yet. So, there, in my mind, that is our defense.

It does seem our defense is worse this year, but I read in the paper we were 28th last year-so even with Perry, we had problems. The only other point is the players are a year older and should be improving defensively. Look around the horn, Jacobs is not known as a good glove, average at best, Uggie may never me more than average at best, Hanley, while swift, does not have the range as the better SS's but still is above average, Miggy-well, what more needs to be said except he likes it there, so do not expect Brooks Robinson. Hammer won't be better than average, CF doesn't count and RF has been an adventure this year. Catcher, great arm and linebacker material, but don't throw it on a bounce, he has not caught one of those yet. So, there, in my mind, that is our defense.

Yes, but a lot of our guys were just learning to play. Jake was a catcher who was learning how to play 1B and Hammer was a catcher learning how to play LF. Reggie was also a total mess in center field. This year we are just making dumb mistakes. Routine groudballs are being thrown in the dugout. Some plays I can understand but this year we are making bone headed plays.

How did you know this for a fact?

I dont know it to be factual, but in my opinion, guys like Olsen need a manager to get in their face sometimes and Girardi did just that.

My only beef with him right now is that he leaves struggling pitchers on the mound way too long without warming someone up in the bullpen. (Look at Josh & Kim this weekend.)

gotta save the bullpen at some point

that and Josh needs to build up endurance

On Saturday night Minn went from 2 to 7 runs in the blink of an eye. Obviously we all saw it happen and so did Fredi but he couldnt take Josh out that quickly. Still, JJ only went 3 innings and then the next day everyone was complaining that Kim wasnt taken out for a PH in the bottom of the 4th as if our bullpen can be used without limit. It would work nicely in a video game, we could just trot Gregg out there every time we smell trouble but that isnt much of an option in reality

On Saturday night Minn went from 2 to 7 runs in the blink of an eye. Obviously we all saw it happen and so did Fredi but he couldnt take Josh out that quickly. Still, JJ only went 3 innings and then the next day everyone was complaining that Kim wasnt taken out for a PH in the bottom of the 4th as if our bullpen can be used without limit. It would work nicely in a video game, we could just trot Gregg out there every time we smell trouble but that isnt much of an option in reality

You're right. I mean, seriously, who needs to win ball games when we need to save the bullpen?

You're right. I mean, seriously, who needs to win ball games when we need to save the bullpen?

You're right, there aren't 90 games left in the season on a team whose starting pitching fails to go more than 5 innings on a regular basis. On a team that isn't going to make the playoffs.

Oh, and I suppose the simple response from me should have been, if you think that turning to our bullpen in the 3rd and 4th inning 50-60% of the time IS the way to win ballgames, you're wrong.

Ok then,I'll waste my time and play along... why exactly are the Marlins better this year? Everything else is exactly the same between this team and last years except for the managers and this team has suffered a lot more injuries.

This time last year the Marlins were 31-40. Maybe we should get Mick from the Rocky movies to whip this team into shape!

Ok then,I'll waste my time and play along... why exactly are the Marlins better this year? Everything else is exactly the same between this team and last years except for the managers and this team has suffered a lot more injuries.

This time last year the Marlins were 31-40. Maybe we should get Mick from the Rocky movies to whip this team into shape!

I predict Fredi will get fired by the end of the '09 season and noone will ever hire him to manage another team.

Girardi will manage for many years.

Second-guessing a manager is one of the main points to talk about amongst fans. It's a given that this is something fan's will do. I'm the same. I question things that all of the Marlins managers have done, in line-up, and in-game.

My take is that while we don't know what goes on in the clubhouse, it does appear that Fredi has a somewhat que-sera, sera attitude, and I also do find myself questioning more of the in game management than I did last year.

I predict Fredi will get fired by the end of the '09 season and noone will ever hire him to manage another team.

Girardi will manage for many years.

Wow. Way to come strong and counter with some strong numbers and facts. :rolleyes: