Never seen a catcher that couldn't catch

Guest Festa

Right, so he f***s up today, but he's saved our asses alot.

nope

all he's good for his tackling guys at home plate

go play for the Dolphins

So that HR he hit the other day against Atlanta doesn't count then huh? Guess not. All the times he's stood up at home plate and taken hits to get outs (while most other catchers in the league would back out) doesn't count either? Right.

You really have a baseball IQ of like -100000.

It's not about what did you do, or is a broken clock right twice a day. OLIVO IS A FAILURE IN THE VERY BASIC JOB DESCRIPTION OF A CATCHER. He can't catch. Be it from a fielder, a pitcher, whatever. All that separates a catcher and a net is the ability of the catcher to catch imperfectly thrown balls. ANYONE can catch something perfectly thrown to their chest. Olivo can't even guarantee that.

Ok so who do you want to be the catcher then, since you have such a great baseball IQ.

Treanor?

Trenor is a far better defensive catcher and is more likely to at least put the ball in play and take pitches.

Plus, is it just me, or are the Marlins best pitching performances (minus today's) with Treanor out there? People will point to his poor SB/CS ratio, but thats a product of being Byung-Hyun Kim's personal catcher.

CS Percentage

Olive- 40%

Treanor-13%

Treanor is good defensively, but his arm is killer. You put him out there and a runner gets on, and 9 out of 10 times they will steal the base off treanor.

Anyways i'm pretty sure Matt will get the start tommorow with the Afternoon game. Let's see how that goes.

What part of Byung-Hyun Kim's personal catcher don't you understand?

Take away those starts and I want to see the numbers.

And a stolen base, IMHO, isn't the worst thing in the world. In fact, CS% is probably the worst indicator of how good a defensive catcher is. Give me a stolen base over passed balls any day.

I know that, that's why i HIGHLIGHTED it. Treanor's a good defensive catcher (with the excuse of his arm), i never said he wasn't.

Treanor doesn't have a bad arm, his CS% over his career is close to Olivo's career CS%.

Career CS%

Treanor-41%

Olivo-52%

Uh, not sure where you got those numbers.

Olivo: .344

Treanor: .292

However, Treanor before this season was at .346, shows how much Kim is affecting his CS%.

Treanor's arm is not a weak point. Only his offense is.

Guest Guest

Olivo is an outstanding defensive player, one mistake and everyone is all over him. Treanor is a good back up catcher, thats all.

He is not an outstanding defensive player. Far from it.

Olivo is an outstanding defensive player, one mistake and everyone is all over him. Treanor is a good back up catcher, thats all.

See, but its not just one mistake. How many times this year has he been thrown a fastball right down the middle and just dropped it? Not saying it had any effect on that play, often, it didn't. But it speaks volumes, and when something like this happens, it becomes a noticeable pattern.

Did you just....in this forum....RUN, WHILE YOU CAN STILL GET AWAY!

:lol Does anyone happen to have a clip of the dropped ball. I wasn't able to watch the game this morning and judging by this forum, it seems as if I didn't miss anything but an extremely frustrating game

Treanor please?

Anyone but Olivo. His dumb mistakes keep piling up at a crucial defensive position.

Not even going any further than this first post. You people are worse than rediculous. No one was complaining a bit after this week end's games with the two dingers and the collision at the plate. No one gave him the well deserved kudos, but no one was calling for his head either.

Bad situation.

Olivo is awful in basically every aspect of the game and someone in the FO loves him.

This is an incorrect statement and you are a F'n broken record.

We have already established that Olivo has a major malfunction when it comes to catching the ball (and I realize that this is a BIG problem). Believe me, if it were up to me he wouldnt be our catcher BUT he is and the alternative is Matt Treanor who doesnt exactly send shivers down my spine.

Olivo is much quiker than Treanor and has a much better arm. So PLEASE WILL YOU STFU about him being awful in every aspect of the game.

Olivo did not lose this game for the Marlins. There is plenty of blame to go around (first thing that comes to mind is a LEAD OFF TRIPLE STRANDED).

IMO, we lost by one run on the road against a very good pitcher.

Oh yeah, the canada guy who keeps talking about chasing the Mets needs a week or two off. I want to put my head in a vice every time he mentions it.

Jesus.

Guest Guest

Bad situation.

Olivo is awful in basically every aspect of the game and someone in the FO loves him.

We have already established that Olivo has a major malfunction when it comes to catching the ball (and I realize that this is a BIG problem). Believe me, if it were up to me he wouldnt be our catcher BUT he is and the alternative is Matt Treanor who doesnt exactly send shivers down my spine.

Olivo is much quiker than Treanor and has a much better arm. So PLEASE WILL YOU STFU about him being awful in every aspect of the game.

has

Olivo did not lose this game for the Marlins. There is plenty of blame to go around (first thing that comes to mind is a LEAD OFF TRIPLE STRANDED).

Oh yeah, the canada guy who keeps talking about chasing the Mets needs a week or two off. I want to put my head in a vice every time he mentions it.

Jesus.

Not really a broken record. I only mention Olivo when its worth mentioning it now.

He is an awful ballplayer who should not be a starting catcher, no matter how desperate the team is.

Well, the guy struggles to hit .240, strikes out 10 times more than he walks, has taken exactly 9 walks this year, and is more than likely the worst defensive catcher in baseball.

Treanor doesnt send shivers down anyones spine, but he is a much better option to start than Olivo is. He will see more pitches, get on base(he is rocking that .354 OBP right now), something Olivo doesnt do and forces us to bat him higher than 8th so we dont have automatic outs back-to-back. And the fact that his defense is lightyears better than Olivos is just gravy.

We have the worst starting catcher in baseball and the FO loves him(offering him $2 mil without arbitration, refusing to sit him even though he has been terrible)...so my statement wasnt really incorrect at all.

Bad situation.

Jesus.

Not really a broken record. I only mention Olivo when its worth mentioning it now.

He is an awful ballplayer who should not be a starting catcher, no matter how desperate the team is.

Well, the guy struggles to hit .240, strikes out 10 times more than he walks, has taken exactly 9 walks this year, and is more than likely the worst defensive catcher in baseball.

Treanor doesnt send shivers down anyones spine, but he is a much better option to start than Olivo is. He will see more pitches, get on base(he is rocking that .354 OBP right now), something Olivo doesnt do and forces us to bat him higher than 8th so we dont have automatic outs back-to-back. And the fact that his defense is lightyears better than Olivos is just gravy.

We have the worst starting catcher in baseball and the FO loves him(offering him $2 mil without arbitration, refusing to sit him even though he has been terrible)...so my statement wasnt really incorrect at all.

One who continually repeats the same statement with little variation, if any.

Spike, we could go back since you signed up and this is essentially everything you have said in almost all of your posts about Olivo.

WE GET IT!

And hate on Olivo all you guys want (because it's warranted right now), but Matt Treanor is a terrible offensive option. He's just "the other guy" right now but when he is in that batter's box everyone wishes he wasn't there. He absolutely stinks at the dish.

...if only we could mix Olivo with Treanor, we could have a league average catcher with above average speed!

And hate on Olivo all you guys want (because it's warranted right now), but Matt Treanor is a terrible offensive option. He's just "the other guy" right now but when he is in that batter's box everyone wishes he wasn't there. He absolutely stinks at the dish.

The thing is, I already feel that way about Olivo at the plate. I actually feel a lot better with Treanor at the plate than Olivo because, even though there's a VERY reduced rate at Matt hitting a home run (or any extra base hit for that matter), there's also a VERY increased rate of him getting on base - even if Matt's chance of getting on base is below average, it's still a LOT better than Olivo's chances.

Until Olivo learns to hit a breaking ball, he's basically useless at the plate. Is Matt good? NO, no one expects him to be some amazing player at the plate or put up numbers even close to what he has at the moment (Or, atleast, no one should). He is a farcry from a good offensive player, but that doesn't still mean that he's better at the plate than Olivo.

However I also greatly perfer OBP > SLG. I understand what we'd get from Matt, and I understand what we get from Olivo. And I'd rather have what Matt gives us.

Olivo has a bad habit, and in the old days it was remedied by restricting a catcher's (catching arm) mobility. He catches with his hands, not his legs, which sounds funny unless you've been a catcher and you understand that getting in front of the balls is always better than reaching for it.

It's horribly hard habit to break, because it's instinct and you really can't "work" on it during games, perhaps this off-season he'll make a commitment to it. He may have to completely rethink his physical approach behind the plate. Some modern catchers have gone to kneeling on one knee or the other depending on whether your battery mate is a lefty or righty. That might be something to try.

It also could be that his knees are beginning to fail him. He's seems less mobile laterally this season from last. These comments are not made as excuses but rather observations. Do with them as you will.

In a same but different line of thinking I wonder how Todd Linden can make it to the major leagues making nothing but one hand catches. Drives me nuts to watch. But that's me. Again god game him two hands, use them (not because he needs to but because it puts your body in a better position to setup to make a throw or react to some change in the flight of a ball).

End of rant.

If we're going with a guy in the 8 hole, I'd much rather have the SLG%

That's assuming he's at least adequate at fielding his position, which Olivo's not.

As for my take on Olivo/Treanor, I very very badly want to justify to myself why Treanor could/should get 500 AB's for us, but I can't. I can't see any redeeming qualities he brings as a starter that warrants benching Olivo. It's more at this point I truly believe Olivo has done everything to play himself out of a job rather than there's a more capable option sitting on the bench.

That said, I can't see either player on this team next year and us hoping for a division title. We're going to have to come away with one of the big free-agent catchers because the cupboards bare and the in house options that should be good to go next year are nauseating.