Cloverfield

EndLine

Not to go off your discussion, but this reminds me of a hypothetical that was brought up in a class of mine a couple years back.

Imagine a movie that's marketing campaign only consists of a trailer and TV spots with white text on black background that said the title and release date for a couple of weeks leading up to the release.

Little to nothing is known about the project besides maybe a few actors and the director. All of them are average and/or not big headliners or stars. Nobody knows nothing on its release date besides those factors.

How do you think the movie's opening weekend would fare?

Would people come see this film out of absolute 100% curiosity and ntrigue or would people not blindly see something they knew nothing about?

Would the film have any shelf life after the opening weekend?

I've seen commercial ads similar to that approach which only show a website briefly...and I'm not gonna lie--I'm interested.

The difference being there is infinite more cost and 'risk' with the unknown film.

I guess then that my next analogy would be AI in some sense. Hype (with little information) gets me excited, but only if it's from a reliable source.

Guest CrimsonCane

Not to go off your discussion, but this reminds me of a hypothetical that was brought up in a class of mine a couple years back.

Imagine a movie that's marketing campaign only consists of a trailer and TV spots with white text on black background that said the title and release date for a couple of weeks leading up to the release.

Little to nothing is known about the project besides maybe a few actors and the director. All of them are average and/or not big headliners or stars. Nobody knows nothing on its release date besides those factors.

How do you think the movie's opening weekend would fare?

Would people come see this film out of absolute 100% curiosity and ntrigue or would people not blindly see something they knew nothing about?

Would the film have any shelf life after the opening weekend?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't the original trailers for Kill Bill Vol. 1 very similar to that? Just saying "The 4th Film by Quentin Tarantino".... "Kill Bill"...and nothing else.

Well the trailer has started to surface on TV, and I sense the coming mind-numbing influx of advertising leading up to its release. Unfortunate because I think the less you know or see it, the more appealing it would have been. If it truly is unformulaic, I think it's going to lose out by promoting the movie too heavily.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

My brother-in-law is a trailer editor in Los Angeles so he's somewhat connected to the "industry." Cloverfield's perception in Hollywood is very positive, with he and almost everyone he's met being very excited about its release.

My brother-in-law is a trailer editor in Los Angeles so he's somewhat connected to the "industry." Cloverfield's perception in Hollywood is very positive, with he and almost everyone he's met being very excited about its release.

I don't think I've ever seen a great film released in January. Honestly, I won't check this out unless the reviews are favorable. Do you think this film will have advance screenings for critics? My guess is no, due to the nature of the secrecy of the plot and all. I don't think the producers or the studio would want to potentially ruin the interest the film has garnered.

• 3 weeks later...

Who is Abrams? Everyone keeps mentioning that name like it has significance. Maybe I'm just out of the loop on this one?

Created Falicity, Alias, and Lost (the best show I've ever seen and my personal favorite).

Directed M:I III and is helming the new Star Trek film.

I'll go see this just because of Abrams involvement but I have a feeling I'm going to absolutely hate how the movie has been shot

Same. Blair Witch Project made me nauseous and so did the trailer. It will also be interesting to see how that 9/11 scene [rolling clouds of smoke/debris from collapse of Empire State Building shot through convenience store window] plays out in NYC. That image is still like an open wound. :|

I absolutely agree with everyone above. Shaky cam is painful to watch and it shows a lack of creativity on the director's and the cinematographer's part. This seems to be the new to film entire action films or action sequences in a non-action film. For the most part, I don't think the camera should bring itself attention while were watching a film. There are exceptions to this rule. Hitchcock is probably the greatest example of someone who loves to use visual trickery in his films. Contrast that with films of William Wyler, where there is a certain sense of fluidity in all his scenes via the camera lense. Can you imagine the famous Ben-Hur chariot race being shot in handheld and have those jerky camera movements? Yikes!

There was an important scene in Gone Baby Gone where shaky cam and slow motion were used in the same scene. I seriously wanted to tear my eyes out.

The last movie I have seen that integrated effective use of camcorder-esque shots was Run Lola Run

I love Run Lola Run but I never noted the shots you're talking about.

That movie does have every editing technique in it known to man. Just wanted to point that out.

The last movie I have seen that integrated effective use of camcorder-esque shots was Run Lola Run

I love Run Lola Run but I never noted the shots you're talking about.

That movie does have every editing technique in it known to man. Just wanted to point that out.

The scenes with the father and his 'mistress' in his office.

I know this might sound rather unfair, but due to the expressed usage of the handheld shaky cam for the entire duration of the narrative, I can already nearly classify this film as terrible.

To me, heavy handheld camera work does not evoke a sense of "cinema verite" but is rather a desperate attempt to mask shortcomings in cinematic style and creativity...

I absolutely agree with everyone above. Shaky cam is painful to watch and it shows a lack of creativity on the director's and the cinematographer's part.

I can't disagree with you more. While I am not a fan of the shaky cam either, I understand what they are trying to do. From what I've heard, the idea is to present this film as something that could have been posted on youtube [like so much of the 9/11 footage] to document this horrific event. I think it's a cool idea and definately novel - provided they don't slip back into the Blaire Witch mode. I simply give Abrams more credit than that. He has proven that he knows how to get his directors to tell a story.

There is little doubt I will see this movie eventually. The only question is if it will be in theaters or via Netflix.

But according to your logic he gets off the hook because he is trying to replicate a cinematic fact of life.

Sort of - yes. I can only suggest that it is a choice that makes sense given the story. I would equate this with the style choices made in films like Sin City and Grindhouse. They make sense considering the types of movies they are and add to the overall moviegoing experience.

Obviously, I reserve the right to change my opinion if this film is garbage or I am flat out wrong. Hard to say since neither of us has seen the film yet. :thumbup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.