Travis Hafner, 23: No ML At bats

Michael Young, 23: 2 ML At bats

Johnny Damon, 23: .723 in 472 At Bats

Carlos Delgado, 23: .609 in 91 At bats

Matt Holliday, 23: No ML At bats

Ryne Sandberg, 23: .667

Moises Alou, 23: 4 hits in 20 ML At bats

Jason Bay, 23: No ML At Bats

Because of their struggles at the age of 23, none of these players were capable of being productive in the majors.

Now that you made a list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to have successful careers why don't you make out the list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to suck the rest of their career?

That way you'll present the full picture.

You are missing his point completely I think.

He never said he WILL become a great player who reaches his potential, however you seem to be saying since his age means nothing and that he should be great right out of the gates which means nothing.

Tony Gwynn at the age of 23: .727

Craig Biggio, 23: .737

Paul O'Neill, 23: 2 major league at bats

Ryan Howard, 23: No major league at bats

David Ortiz, 23: no hits in 20 ML at bats

Because of their struggles at the age of 23, none of these players were capable of being productive in the majors.

Now that you made a list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to have successful careers why don't you make out the list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to suck the rest of their career?

Because the point he is trying to make is that just because he is having trouble at age 23 doesn't mean he is doomed for the rest of his career. Especially a guy the the pedigree of Hermida. Noone is trying to say that all 23 year olds become better, but that some of them take time to get to their potential, especially likely with someone who has been said to have the potential that Hermida does.

Because the point he is trying to make is that just because he is having trouble at age 23 doesn't mean he is doomed for the rest of his career. Especially a guy the the pedigree of Hermida. Noone is trying to say that all 23 year olds become better, but that some of them take time to get to their potential, especially likely with someone who has been said to have the potential that Hermida does.

Yep.

Also Hermida has battled injury early in his career, so it is easy to say 'he has enough ABs to have adjusted' but it's not the same when you aren't in there facing MLB pitching on a consistant basis.

If he stays healthy then by next time this year we will be raving about him IMO.

Hermida .226/.320/.423 (742)

Delmon .281/.311/.417 (728)

Does Delmon Young suck?

Young is a couple of years younger than Hermida.

If you're 21, like Young is, I'll certainly buy the age excuse but at 23 the age excuse just doesn't carry as much weight as it does at 21. Big difference between 21 and 23, don't you agree?

Hermida has 516 ABs over parts of three seasons to Young's 462 over two seasons. 58 more ABs is hardly a 'big difference'.

My point has nothing to do with ABs. The "big difference" is in their age. I think there's a big difference between ages 21 and 23. If you don't think there's a big difference between 21 and 23 we'll have to disagree.

He never said he WILL become a great player who reaches his potential, however you seem to be saying since his age means nothing and that he should be great right out of the gates which means nothing.

I didn't say his age means nothing.

I said age means more, a lot more, if one guy is 21 and the other 23.

Does Delmon Young suck?

If you're 21, like Young is, I'll certainly buy the age excuse but at 23 the age excuse just doesn't carry as much weight as it does at 21. Big difference between 21 and 23, don't you agree?

Hermida has 516 ABs over parts of three seasons to Young's 462 over two seasons. 58 more ABs is hardly a 'big difference'.

My point has nothing to do with ABs. The "big difference" is in their age. I think there's a big difference between ages 21 and 23. If you don't think there's a big difference between 21 and 23 we'll have to disagree.

The difference is two years, but age doesn't make you better. Experience does, and they are just about the same MLB age.

Since when does being older make you better? It means nothing if you have the same amount of MLB experience, especially since Hermida has been hurt for long stretches.

Since when does being older make you better? It means nothing if you have the same amount of MLB experience, especially since Hermida has been hurt for long stretches.

I think a guy who is 21 years old is just a baby in MLB terms. At that age almost all players his age are either in college or in AA or below.

Does Delmon Young suck?

Consistent ML level at bats and the production from those ABs (in their cases, very similar) is far more important in judging a player currently then their ages, especially since both players are young.

I think most here hold Ed Kaplan in good stead as the most knowledgeable and Marlins sympathetic guy on South Florida radio. For anyone listening I wonder if you were as surprised as I was about his bluntness in discussing Hermida's level of play.

He was particularly outraged by Hermida's aloofness concerning his flyball error last night, and wondered out loud what the team (I wasn't sure if he was talking about his teammates or the FO) would have done had they lost 5-4 instead of won 6-5. Someone tell me Kaplan hasn't pretty much written of the kid? Sure sounded like he's seen enough.

I was actually very surprised to hear how outspoken he was on the subject.

He's on right now if anyone's interested. Hermida seems to be the subject du jour. And he continues to trash Hermida.

Yawn.

I bet Ed Kaplan hated Elvis and the Beatles too. Those crazy kids and their OPS+ and EQA!

if it means anything, Ed Kaplan didn't think Mark Redman was any good when he came to SoFla either (I know that's apples to oranges but he should stick to soccer)

I'll give you one better than that. Kaplan thought the Marlins had little chance in 2003. He bet the under in the season over/under line.

You know what. If Kaplan was hitting on 100% of his opinions, he wouldn't be on talk radio. He'd be living in a 200 million dollar home out in Vegas.

But he does without question have the most informed opinion, is the most baseball savvy, and is the most Marlins sympathetic talk show host anywhere. His opinion on Hermida is just that, his opinion.

When it comes Hermida you guys remind me of the 3 monkeys.

Does Delmon Young suck?

Interesting post!

There is no excuse for Hermida's defensive lapses. He needs to get his head in the game. It's definetly a matter of lack of concentration. He maybe is trying to hard and is not having fun. He has 6 errors already and it appears for the most part have been brain farts on his part

I think most here hold Ed Kaplan in good stead as the most knowledgeable and Marlins sympathetic guy on South Florida radio. For anyone listening I wonder if you were as surprised as I was about his bluntness in discussing Hermida's level of play.

He was particularly outraged by Hermida's aloofness concerning his flyball error last night, and wondered out loud what the team (I wasn't sure if he was talking about his teammates or the FO) would have done had they lost 5-4 instead of won 6-5. Someone tell me Kaplan hasn't pretty much written of the kid? Sure sounded like he's seen enough.

I was actually very surprised to hear how outspoken he was on the subject.

He's on right now if anyone's interested. Hermida seems to be the subject du jour. And he continues to trash Hermida.

Yawn.

I bet Ed Kaplan hated Elvis and the Beatles too. Those crazy kids and their OPS+ and EQA!

if it means anything, Ed Kaplan didn't think Mark Redman was any good when he came to SoFla either (I know that's apples to oranges but he should stick to soccer)

I'll give you one better than that. Kaplan thought the Marlins had little chance in 2003. He bet the under in the season over/under line.

You know what. If Kaplan was hitting on 100% of his opinions, he wouldn't be on talk radio. He'd be living in a 200 million dollar home out in Vegas.

But he does without question have the most informed opinion, is the most baseball savvy, and is the most Marlins sympathetic talk show host anywhere. His opinion on Hermida is just that, his opinion.

When it comes Hermida you guys remind me of the 3 monkeys.

I'm Davy Jones!

Does Delmon Young suck?

What about Miggy and Hanley? :mischief

Wow what a thread.

Poor Eddie K gets dragged thru the mud too!

Anyone who scoffs at Ed Kaplan's baseball knowledge is a pretender. You can disagree with his opinions but to cast him aside as a nobody is laughable. He's been analyzing baseball since most of you were breastfeeding.

What is infuriating about Hermida's defense is demeanor. Always has that look of "Id rather be doing anything but playing baseball". Show some emotion once in a while dude, it won't kill you.

He needs to take a close look at Cabs, Dontrelle and Hanley (specifically emotionally).

Wow what a thread.

Anyone who scoffs at Ed Kaplan's baseball knowledge is a pretender. You can disagree with his opinions but to cast him aside as a nobody is laughable. He's been analyzing baseball since most of you were breastfeeding.

What is infuriating about Hermida's defense is demeanor. Always has that look of "Id rather be doing anything but playing baseball". Show some emotion once in a while dude, it won't kill you.

He needs to take a close look at Cabs, Dontrelle and Hanley (specifically emotionally).

Nah, Eddie's a good guy... I'm just bustin his chops about Mark Redman (and I've spoken to him about that too)

Last time Hermida showed some emotion and smashed his bat on the ground he got ripped apart then... guy can't win

Wow what a thread.

:rolleyes:

f*** YEAH!!! HAVE HEART WHEN YOU SERVE UP 5 RUN INNINGS!

And I'm pretty sure there's a thread about Jeremy smashing his bat after popping out.

Does Delmon Young suck?

What about Miggy and Hanley? :mischief

What about them? They are anomalies.

I've also noticed many of the players who break through early are foreign born players who have been playing professional ball since the age of 16. They are playing in rookie ball at like 16-17 and have a 2 year head start even on the guys drafted out of high school. I feel they shouldn't be counted the same. They are developing earlier.