All Star Game 2007 Thread

MoveFishToOrlando

If I was LaRussa, I would have gone this way.

1. SS Jose Reyes - Only guy with great speed.

2. 2B Chase Utley - Makes consistent contact and has good power.

3. LF Barry Bonds - His walks will set up additional runs for the NL if he does not hit a HR.

4. 1B Prince Fielder - Most HR in the NL.

5. RF Ken Griffey Jr. - Great complement to Fielder at the No. 5 spot.

6. CF Carlos Beltran - Provides speed and good power that will change the dynamic of the lineup.

7. C Russell Martin - Terrific numbers and makes excellent contact with the ball (Marlins fans know that.).

8. 3B David Wright - Not having as good of a season as last season.

9. SP Jake Peavy - Great choice by Tony LaRussa over Brad Penny who has a blister on his hand.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Miguel Cabrera reported improvement in the jammed left shoulder that knocked him out of Monday's State Farm Home Run Derby, and the Marlins third baseman remains optimistic that he will be able to participate in the 78th annual All-Star Game on Tuesday.

"I feel better. I can move more of my shoulder," Cabrera said. "I'm going to get some ice and some treatment at the field. Hopefully it will do better for me."

The 24-year-old Cabrera injured his shoulder while diving for a ground ball in Saturday's Marlins game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, and was lifted from Sunday's series finale at Dodger Stadium before a pitch was thrown.

Cabrera said he was "a little bit" concerned about the injury, which he has some familiarity dealing with -- a similar situation cost him two games last September at New York's Shea Stadium.

This most recent incident, Cabrera said, was less painful, however, evidenced by the fact that 24 hours of rest seems to have helped markedly.

"I felt like I wasn't going to move my shoulder today, because last night it hurt," Cabrera said. "I thought it was going to be bad today, but it felt better."

Cabrera will be an idle spectator at Monday's Derby, a competition in which he finished third last season and an experience he had been looking forward to following up on.

Instead, limited to rooting for his choices of Vladimir Guerrero and Magglio Ordonez, Cabrera said he is hopeful that he will at least be able to appear in Tuesday's contest in some form.

Cabrera leads the Marlins with 18 home runs at the All-Star break and is batting .324, good for ninth in the National League. He said he anticipated being ready to break the second half with the Marlins on Friday, not believing that his injury will cost him additional games.

Cabrera said Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, a coach on the National League squad, will speak with NL skipper Tony La Russa to further gauge options. Cabrera's playing time could include spelling NL starting third baseman David Wright, or entering the game as a pinch-hitter.

"I'd love to play [Tuesday]," Cabrera said. "I think [the pain is] going to be gone tomorrow."

If not, Cabrera still said that making the trip north from Los Angeles to the All-Star Game celebration was worth it.

"You have to come here," Cabrera said. "It's an experience. It's where you want to want to be."

Miggy can certainly be used as a pinch hitter in place of the pitcher. That way he can at least be in the game, unlike last year.

Cabrera played last year.

yea but that a**hole phil gardner put him in too late, i dont even think he got to bat. Uggla didnt even play an inning while carlos beltran played the whole game.

For those who wanna see a sick stat

NL SALARY of Starting 9

$52,015,260 total,

$5,779,473.33 average

AL SALARY of Starting 9

$120,207,164 total and

$13,356,351.55 average

That NL figure would be even lower if an actual deserving NL centerfielder was starting rather than overpaid Carlos Beltran.

For those who wanna see a sick stat

NL SALARY of Starting 9

$52,015,260 total,

$5,779,473.33 average

AL SALARY of Starting 9

$120,207,164 total and

$13,356,351.55 average

Think of how much of the NL salary comes from just Bonds and Griffey too. Over half.