Biggio to retire at end of season

MrAndMrsFish

Houston Astros second baseman Craig Biggio will retire after this season, MLB.com reported Tuesday.

Biggio's 20-year career will end Sept. 30. He will leave the game with more than 3,000 hits and 650 doubles and nearly 300 home runs. "Retiring is not an easy thing to do," Biggio told MLB.com. "But it's time. How many guys get the opportunity to do it the way they want to do it? You're pretty much writing your own story here, as far as walking away when you want to walk away. It's not taken away."

"It's just time. That hurts. But you hear bad stories sometimes that guys waited too long [to retire] and I don't want a bad taste in the fans' mouths that I played too long. Then they remember me on the down side, the bad side. It can't get any better than it has been this year," he said, according to the Web site.

"I'm going out on top. Other than a World Series, the [3,000th] hit thing was unbelievable. To me, I'm going out on top. It makes me feel great, being able to do it this way. And the fans can remember you on a positive note," he said, according to the Web site.

A member of the Astros his entire career, Biggio has made six postseason appearances, including the 2005 World Series.

Biggio, who made his major league debut as a catcher June 26, 1988 -- when Ronald Reagan was still president -- is a seven-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove-winner at second base. He had 3,014 hits and a .282 career average entering Tuesday's game against the Dodgers. Now 41, Biggio is batting .247 with 24 doubles, five home runs and 31 RBIs. Biggio's 20-year career will end Sept. 30. He will leave the game with more than 3,000 hits and 650 doubles and nearly 300 home runs.

"Retiring is not an easy thing to do," Biggio told MLB.com. "But it's time. How many guys get the opportunity to do it the way they want to do it? You're pretty much writing your own story here, as far as walking away when you want to walk away. It's not taken away."

"It's just time. That hurts. But you hear bad stories sometimes that guys waited too long [to retire] and I don't want a bad taste in the fans' mouths that I played too long. Then they remember me on the down side, the bad side. It can't get any better than it has been this year," he said, according to the Web site.

"I'm going out on top. Other than a World Series, the [3,000th] hit thing was unbelievable. To me, I'm going out on top. It makes me feel great, being able to do it this way. And the fans can remember you on a positive note," he said, according to the Web site.

A member of the Astros his entire career, Biggio has made six postseason appearances, including the 2005 World Series.

Biggio, who made his major league debut as a catcher June 26, 1988 -- when Ronald Reagan was still president -- is a seven-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove-winner at second base. He had 3,014 hits and a .282 career average entering Tuesday's game against the Dodgers. Now 41, Biggio is batting .247 with 24 doubles, five home runs and 31 RBIs.

LINK

Biggio said before in his final game he wanted to play every position he has ever played in the show.

I expect to see him catch, play some second, goto center, then left and finally back to second.

Its gonna be odd next year without Biggio in the lineup. Very odd.

Well might as well just ink in Biggio for the hall in 5 years.

Biggio IS f***ING GOD!!!

Guy hits a slam tonight to cover my OVER in the game.... GUY IS ONE OF THE BEST!!!

BIGGIO you are th sh*t! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy