Jeff Conine debating retirement

Hammerhead

Conine debating retiring this year

Wants to spend time with family

Jeff Conine said he thinks this will be it.

"As of right now, I'm leaning toward this being my final season," he said.

Conine is 41 years old and this is his 20th professional season. He's played reasonably well for the Reds - .254, five home runs, 26 RBI in 177 at-bats going into Wednesday. He leads the team with seven hits and four RBI in 19 pinch-hit at-bats.

He said he feels like he could keep playing, though.

"Physically, I feel great," he said. "There's no issues I'm battling right now. It's just mentally and with the family, it's getting tougher every year."

Conine has three children, ages 11, 10 and 7.

"I'm missing a lot of stuff," he said. "You miss things that you're never going to get back."

Conine was honored when the Reds were in Florida as part of the Marlins' 10th anniversary of the World Series championship.

Conine's name is one that's mentioned as the trading deadline approaches. He was traded from Baltimore to Philadelphia on Aug. 27 of last season. The Phillies ended up not making the playoffs.

But in 2003, an Aug. 31 trade from Baltimore to Florida sent him on a World Series ride. He hit .458 in the NLCS and .333 in the Series.

Would he rather stay or go?

"I'm torn both ways," he said. "I've enjoyed playing here. I enjoy all the guys. But, on the other hand, if this is going to be my last year, it would be nice to possibly go and try to win another ring somewhere."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT04/707260371

:(