Interesting article in the Palm Beach Post

And Girardi is long gone. There is no point in even talking about it anymore. The only reason his name surfaces is for people to attempt to use it to take digs against the current ownership.

This season is defined almost one hundred percent by the unhealthy starting rotation and Dontrelle Willis regressing to the mean.

:notworthy

The only semi-consistent bright spot in this rotation is a guy that came to the Marlins with an ERA over 10. Right handed hitters are only hitting .180 off of Kim.

The only thing that I can hang on this team's management right now is the continued use of Olivo over Treanor, and I have no idea if that is due to Fredi or to Beinfest.

This team struggles because:

Johnson, Nolasco, and Sanchez have all been out and Willis and Olsen are being caught by a schmuck. Last year's rotation, healthy, and this team is 9 over rather than 9 under.

For example, Gonzalez backed disastrous reliever Jorge Julio far too long. And why not hit, say, Alfredo Amezaga (.270) second in the order and bump Dan Uggla (.255) to sixth?

Uggla has a higher OBP

neither is the answer in the 2 hole though

For example, Gonzalez backed disastrous reliever Jorge Julio far too long. And why not hit, say, Alfredo Amezaga (.270) second in the order and bump Dan Uggla (.255) to sixth?

Uggla has a higher OBP

Not that batting average is the end all to be all but you've got to look at it first when deciding where to hit who. I agree that neither is the answer in the two hole but for now, Amezaga should be a temporary fix.

Uggla has a higher OBP

Not that batting average is the end all to be all but you've got to look at it first when deciding where to hit who. I agree that neither is the option in the two hole but for now, Amezaga should be a temporary fix.

not including tonight, Alfredo is 5 for his last 34 which is good for .147/.216/.206

he needs to be nowhere near the 2 spot (then again, neither does Uggla)

but I would much rather see Uggla there over Fredo, no matter how either is hitting

Uggla has a higher OBP

Not that batting average is the end all to be all but you've got to look at it first when deciding where to hit who. I agree that neither is the option in the two hole but for now, Amezaga should be a temporary fix.

not including tonight, Alfredo is 5 for his last 34 which is good for .147/.216/.206

he needs to be nowhere near the 2 spot (then again, neither does Uggla)

but I would much rather see Uggla there over Fredo, no matter how either is hitting

Ever heard of a slump? I don't think Amezaga is as good as advertised but I think he could post a .250-.270 in the 2 hole. Not to mention he brings more speed to the top of the order.

I know what a slump is, so take the fact that on the year Uggla is getting on base at a higher clip

also, a .255avg to a .270 is what like 4 hits a month more?.... gimme Uggla if it's between those 2 (can't believe I have to argue in favor of Uggla in the 2 hole)

I know what a slump is, so take the fact that on the year Uggla is getting on base at a higher clip

also, a .255avg to a .270 is what like 4 hits a month more?.... gimme Uggla if it's between those 2 (can't believe I have to argue in favor of Uggla in the 2 hole)

When Amezaga comes back to life (which will be soon), it'll be more like 8-10 hits a month. Just a heads up.

When Amezaga comes back to life (which will be soon), it'll be more like 8-10 hits a month. Just a heads up.

comes back to life?

he had a nice 50 game run, and I was all for having him play everyday and moving him up in the order while he was "Bo Hart-ing" us...

but I fear he is coming back to earth in a big way

that being said, who said Uggla can't "come back to life"

comes back to life?

he had a nice 50 game run, and I was all for having him play everyday and moving him up in the order while he was "Bo Hart-ing" us...

but I fear he is coming back to earth in a big way

that being said, who said Uggla can't "come back to life"

And to think a month ago, we were saying the same thing, but the other way around. :lol

Anyways, I don't think he's had his moment in the sun and now he's done by any means, like you suggested. I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I think he'll start hitting again and you don't. Fair enough, I guess.

How about the fact that Girardi is likely the reason that Josh Johnson is out until late 2008? The writer gives him a free pass for that I suppose? To me, that alone was a fireable offense.

After the rain delay JJ had stiffness in his forearm.

During ST he had nerve damage in his bicep... the forearm was fine.

Now he has stiffness in his elbow... the forearm is fine.

I don't know how anyone can make a connection to Girardi.

If Beinfest / Loria honestly believe bringing back JJ after the rain delay was going to be detrimental to his career then they should ahve fired Girardi on the spot, kept JJ away from the mound and saved their multi-million asset.

You are becoming my favorite MB.com poster.

Blaming the JJ injury on Girardi is so lazy it makes me want to puke all over my keypad.

Pitchers get hurt. Grow up and deal with it.

I'm happy we have him and he is a valuable utility player, but Amezaga isn't a good player and shouldn't garner much consideration in the 2 spot as a long-term viable option.

As long as his average is above Uggla's, I'll argue his case. Color me stubborn.

OBP is more important than BA, and Uggla has a higher OBP. So while neither really belongs in the 2 hole, your argument doesnt hold any weight at all.

Fredo's OBP is also MUCH more dependent on his BA than Ugglas is(Fredo's isolated OBP is .099, Uggla's is .133), so Uggla can sustain a long slump hit wise while still being valuable much more easily than Fredo can, as far as the capacity to get on base goes.

Uggla has a higher OBP

i agree that neither is the answer in the 2 hole, but uggla has a higher (and not by much) obp (.325) than alfredo (.320) hitting between superstars (understatement), as opposed to between the 2 worst hitting positions in the lineup (olivo/treanor and P). i'm sure you know this but isn't that a big deal? maybe amezaga would be around .350+ wedged in there. regardless, since uggla isn't the answer, other people should get a shot there. either amezaga or hermida should hit 2nd for a while. why not try it at this point? oh yeah, fredi likes his consistency (even if it means the player consistently fails to make contact in crucial situations) and amezaga turns the lineup over so well!

Uggla has a higher OBP

i agree that neither is the answer in the 2 hole, but uggla has a higher (and not by much) obp (.325) than alfredo (.320) hitting between superstars (understatement), as opposed to between the 2 worst hitting positions in the lineup (olivo/treanor and P). i'm sure you know this but isn't that a big deal? maybe amezaga would be around .350+ wedged in there. regardless, since uggla isn't the answer, other people should get a shot there. either amezaga or hermida should hit 2nd for a while. why not try it at this point? oh yeah, fredi likes his consistency (even if it means the player consistently fails to make contact in crucial situations) and amezaga turns the lineup over so well!

Except that Amezaga isn't a good player. He hasn't had an OBP above .350 since a fluky 185 at bats at triple A as a 27 year in 2005. Uggla's got much more upside.

How about the fact that Girardi is likely the reason that Josh Johnson is out until late 2008? The writer gives him a free pass for that I suppose? To me, that alone was a fireable offense.

After the rain delay JJ had stiffness in his forearm.

During ST he had nerve damage in his bicep... the forearm was fine.

Now he has stiffness in his elbow... the forearm is fine.

I don't know how anyone can make a connection to Girardi.

If Beinfest / Loria honestly believe bringing back JJ after the rain delay was going to be detrimental to his career then they should ahve fired Girardi on the spot, kept JJ away from the mound and saved their multi-million asset.

This is the closest to the truth that I have seen on this predicament in quite some time. I'm nore inclined to agree with Polo on this one. I can see no valid reason to blame GI Joe on this injury. I know it is human nature to try to find someone to point the blame at but I think blaming Girardi for JJ's troubles is really stretching it.

The only response is that one injury led to the other. But that dosen't make sense either. JJ was shut down after that and had the off season to heal. MAYBE it was his fault. MAYBE he didn't do the things he needed to do in the off season to help himself heal properly and then prepare himself for the coming season. Young players don't have the knowledge that they need some sort of off season workout program. Being young gives you that unmerited feeling of invincibility. It happens in all aspects of life and these guys are just human beings when all is said and done.

Uggla has a higher OBP

Except that Amezaga isn't a good player.

:rolleyes:

10000000000000000000000000000000% agree, hanley2. :thumbup

I think we can all agree that the only place the arguement "Amezaga v.s. Uggla for #2 hole" holds any ground is against RHP right? Since Ross should be in CF against LHP.

Amezaga: .334 OBP

Uggla: .329 OBP

Mezzy also has a .354 OBP last year.

[/devil's advocate]

Guest iFesta

Uggla has a higher OBP

Except that Amezaga isn't a good player.

10000000000000000000000000000000% agree, hanley2. :thumbup

If you're going to roll your eyes, might as well roll your eyes at his reasoning too.

Ok, Festa.

Uggla has a higher OBP

Except that Amezaga isn't a good player. He hasn't had an OBP above .350 since a fluky 185 at bats at triple A as a 27 year in 2005. Uggla's got much more upside.

So players don't progress?