Downtown Miami No Longer An Option

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone else, but I'll say it rather than look through the many posts on this subject.

Has anyone hear mentioned the location of the new Nationals stadium? It is in a run down neighborhood of Washington, DC called Anacostia. Nobody ever goes there. It is away from the downtown area, but they could never build a stadium in downtown DC. I once looked at an apartment that wasn't too far becaue the apartment was a lot cheaper than others in DC, and I found out why. It was in a bad neighborhood.

It is going to be metro accessible and it is along the waterfront. But a major highway cuts it off from the hub of the city. That seems like the same or similiar situation with the Marlins proposal at the Orange bowl.

Maybe my fellow DC residents can shed some light on what they think is different.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone else, but I'll say it rather than look through the many posts on this subject.

Has anyone hear mentioned the location of the new Nationals stadium? It is in a run down neighborhood of Washington, DC called Anacostia. Nobody ever goes there. It is away from the downtown area, but they could never build a stadium in downtown DC. I once looked at an apartment that wasn't too far becaue the apartment was a lot cheaper than others in DC, and I found out why. It was in a bad neighborhood.

It is going to be metro accessible and it is along the waterfront. But a major highway cuts it off from the hub of the city. That seems like the same or similiar situation with the Marlins proposal at the Orange bowl.

Maybe my fellow DC residents can shed some light on what they think is different.

you pretty much summed it up there...there wont be a lot of parking which will force fans to use the metro...it will be interesting to see how that works in a world where everyone loves their cars but with DC i think it will work just fine because of the metro system. its very easy to get from the outskirts of DC into downtown without having to struggle with parking. i think at least with the nationals stadium that if there is the notion that there isnt a lot of parking and you have to use metro to avoid a headache then people will be more open to it or find alternative parking options near the stadium

Stinks. We'll live with this mistake for 30 years. 30 more years of poor attendance, 30 more years of low payrolls, 30 more years of bad teams.

why are you being so negative? would you rather them build it in san antonio? its better than nothing.

its a done deal, all they need to do is make the announcement. that is if samson doesnt blow it... someone send him as far away as possible... or just ball-gag him.

that being said, this will work only if we are winning or win when we move in. the new stadium effect will wear off in record time if we still stink. look at pittsburgh.

As far as I'm concerned, this is great news.

Beggers can't be choosers right? Just get the stadium built, as long as it has a roof, we'll be fine.

Right. I used to analyze it from the standpoint of economic return, best place for attendance to be optimized etc etc. As a baseball fan, I don't care anymore because I will go wherever it is and finally eliminate that knawing feeling that the Marlins will leave.

I even read with interest in the business section of today's Herald about the probable development of the Hialeah property into a major shopping and recreation district. That the same concept that was tossed about previously with the Marlins in Hialeah. I even liked that because of the proximity to the tri county area and the accessibility on the highways. The report showed that 550,000 people lived withing 7 miles of the location. http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/253192.html

Let's eliminate the relocation concerns once and for all.

2 major differences. 1) The Orange Bowl is not accessible by public transportation (South Florida baseball fans will not walk a mile through that area at night). 2) The DC stadium is not in Anacostia (if it were, it would fail). It's in an area that had pretty much been empty, so there's tons of room for development; already office buildings, apartments, and hotels are sprouting up around it (with bars and restaurants certain to follow once baseball arrives). The Orange Bowl area has no room for development, it's all houses, what are you going to do, raze all the neighborhoods and put up office buildings and bars? Won't happen.

As for others saying the retractable roof will solve all the problems, I just don't agree. People don't go to games at Joe Robbie cuz it's in a horrible location that takes forever to get to and has zero activity around it. Same problem exists at the Orange Bowl. I don't buy the rain delay argument, never have never will. To attract fans you need more than baseball; you need good access and lots of nearby activity. Orange Bowl has neither. Downtown has both (public transportation, thousands of downtown office workers, great opportunity for bar/restaurant development). This is a terrible mistake.

2 major differences. 1) The Orange Bowl is not accessible by public transportation (South Florida baseball fans will not walk a mile through that area at night). 2) The DC stadium is not in Anacostia (if it were, it would fail). It's in an area that had pretty much been empty, so there's tons of room for development; already office buildings, apartments, and hotels are sprouting up around it (with bars and restaurants certain to follow once baseball arrives). The Orange Bowl area has no room for development, it's all houses, what are you going to do, raze all the neighborhoods and put up office buildings and bars? Won't happen.

As for others saying the retractable roof will solve all the problems, I just don't agree. People don't go to games at Joe Robbie cuz it's in a horrible location that takes forever to get to and has zero activity around it. Same problem exists at the Orange Bowl. I don't buy the rain delay argument, never have never will. To attract fans you need more than baseball; you need good access and lots of nearby activity. Orange Bowl has neither. Downtown has both (public transportation, thousands of downtown office workers, great opportunity for bar/restaurant development). This is a terrible mistake.

The OB isn't accessible by public transportation. Who cares? This is South Florida. If we want to go someplace, we drive. We have buses and and trains, etc, and nobody uses them.

Also, Dolphin Stadium is in a horrible location? Are you kidding? Dolphin Stadium is actually in the PERFECT location. It's easy to access from anywhere in the tri-county area, it is very easy to get into and out of, there is plenty of parking, etc. The only problem is that it has a terrible lease that doesn't allow the team to make money and it doesn't have a roof.

Does a roof solve all of this team's problems? No, of course not. But it solves the weather issue, not to mention solving the little issue of possible relocation lingering over the franchise. Take away those 2 problems and suddenly everything else starts falling into place.

Anyway, i'm so sick of people complaining about the location of a new stadium. So sorry that they aren't building it in your back yard. I live in Palm Beach County. I wish they would build it up north, but that isn't happening. I'll take a stadium anywhere in South Florida so long as the team remains in the area.

The OB isn't accessible by public transportation. Who cares? This is South Florida. If we want to go someplace, we drive. We have buses and and trains, etc, and nobody uses them.

Also, Dolphin Stadium is in a horrible location? Are you kidding? Dolphin Stadium is actually in the PERFECT location. It's easy to access from anywhere in the tri-county area, it is very easy to get into and out of, there is plenty of parking, etc. The only problem is that it has a terrible lease that doesn't allow the team to make money and it doesn't have a roof.

Does a roof solve all of this team's problems? No, of course not. But it solves the weather issue, not to mention solving the little issue of possible relocation lingering over the franchise. Take away those 2 problems and suddenly everything else starts falling into place.

Anyway, i'm so sick of people complaining about the location of a new stadium. So sorry that they aren't building it in your back yard. I live in Palm Beach County. I wish they would build it up north, but that isn't happening. I'll take a stadium anywhere in South Florida so long as the team remains in the area.

The lack of access to public transportation is obviously important. Traffic is going to horrendous getting to the Orange Bowl because everyone has to drive. It's a nightmare. Dolphin Stadium is an atrocious location. It's not near anyone. I always laugh at the South Florida mentality that the best location means all 3 counties have a similar distance. The fact is, sure Dolphin Stadium is located more in the middle of the 3 counties; then you think about it, and in actuality the location stinks equally for all 3. Nobody lives near it! To have a successful stadium, it needs to be near someone who will go to a game. The Marlins fans don't come from the Orange Bowl area. Baseball fans are near-the-coast Palm Beach/Broward residents, downtown Miami/WPB/Lauderdale office workers, and people from the Kendall area. Dolphin Stadium isn't convenient for ANY of these areas. The best locations would be downtown West Palm Beach, downtown Ft Lauderdale, or downtown Miami, where you get the office workers and surrounding development. Dolphin Stadium provides NONE of this. While WPB would be a hike for Miami residents, it's great for Palm Beach and satisfactory for Broward. Downtown Ft. Lauderdale would be the most centrally located with the nearby benefits, but unfortunately the city doesn't want to help. Downtown Miami is a hike for WPB, but it's great for downtown office workers and the new condos and not bad for Kendall with the option of public transportation. The key to all these sites is they are great for some and okay/bad for the others. This is a better option than "bad for all", like Orange Bowl and Dolphin Stadium.

And excuse me while my jaw drops at the calling of Dolphin Stadium the "perfect" location when the Marlins are last in attendance every year.

The lack of access to public transportation is obviously important. Traffic is going to horrendous getting to the Orange Bowl because everyone has to drive. It's a nightmare. Dolphin Stadium is an atrocious location. It's not near anyone. I always laugh at the South Florida mentality that the best location means all 3 counties have a similar distance. The fact is, sure Dolphin Stadium is located more in the middle of the 3 counties; then you think about it, and in actuality the location stinks equally for all 3. Nobody lives near it! To have a successful stadium, it needs to be near someone who will go to a game. The Marlins fans don't come from the Orange Bowl area. Baseball fans are near-the-coast Palm Beach/Broward residents, downtown Miami/WPB/Lauderdale office workers, and people from the Kendall area. Dolphin Stadium isn't convenient for ANY of these areas. The best locations would be downtown West Palm Beach, downtown Ft Lauderdale, or downtown Miami, where you get the office workers and surrounding development. Dolphin Stadium provides NONE of this. While WPB would be a hike for Miami residents, it's great for Palm Beach and satisfactory for Broward. Downtown Ft. Lauderdale would be the most centrally located with the nearby benefits, but unfortunately the city doesn't want to help. Downtown Miami is a hike for WPB, but it's great for downtown office workers and the new condos and not bad for Kendall with the option of public transportation. The key to all these sites is they are great for some and okay/bad for the others. This is a better option than "bad for all", like Orange Bowl and Dolphin Stadium.

And excuse me while my jaw drops at the calling of Dolphin Stadium the "perfect" location when the Marlins are last in attendance every year.

There are a number of reasons that the Marlins are last in attendance, but location of Dolphin Stadium isn't even in the top 20.

As for your point about downtown locations...I agree. A baseball stadium in a downtown area would be ideal, but it isn't a realistic option. The OB is the realistic option. So it is what it is. If it keeps the Marlins here, so be it. Besides, if the location was downtown Miami, you'd hear people complaining just the same.

Stinks. We'll live with this mistake for 30 years. 30 more years of poor attendance, 30 more years of low payrolls, 30 more years of bad teams.

retratable roof anyone? higher payroll? 2 world series titles...what arent you seeing about this picture?

I wouldnt assume payroll will be higher.

Personally, I will believe it when I see it.

you pretty much summed it up there...there wont be a lot of parking which will force fans to use the metro...it will be interesting to see how that works in a world where everyone loves their cars but with DC i think it will work just fine because of the metro system. its very easy to get from the outskirts of DC into downtown without having to struggle with parking. i think at least with the nationals stadium that if there is the notion that there isnt a lot of parking and you have to use metro to avoid a headache then people will be more open to it or find alternative parking options near the stadium

There will certainly be enough parking and the fans will not be "forced" to use the metro. That is an absurd statement.

However, DC traffic patterns are among the worst I've seen in this country so that would be the only real incentive for city residents to take the metro (other than those who don't have cars or simply find it more convenient).

I have shifted position and now look forward to a staduim anouncement at the OB site...It all seems to be right for it to happen. There will not be plenty of parking there! If anyone has been following closely the OB proposal, it is evident parking will be very limited exclusive to VIPs and premier ticket holders. The average fan will not have access to facility parking. Lets hope that there will be plenty of shuttle buses or get your walking shoes ready. Now with that said let's get it done!