Why not pitch Beckett more?

I think we need to win very badly tonight and then again game 5, so why don't the Marlins just pitch Josh Beckett more? He's young and the team needs him. Once we win this series, he can rest all he wants. Beckett has shown that he's our best shot at winning and has shown he can shut down and dominate the Yankees. He doesn't have to pitch the whole game, just a few innings when our Marlins need.

If Randy Johnsen could do it for the Diamondbacks when they beat the Yankees, why not us?

GO MARLINS!

Guest marlins02

he just pitched last night. you're making it sound like you want him to throw tonight a tommorow night and then of course game 7 if we get to that point. it could destroy his arm. you just play the cards your dealt.

You answered you're question yourself.

He's young. We don't wanna kill his arm do we?

I call it "The Torborg Effect"

The Torborg Effect: When a pitcher is overused and no matter if he's doing good or bad and throws 140+ pitches 10+ times in the season, it's Torborgarizing the pitcher. I know AJ had a no hitter, but NINE walks. I don't remember how many pitches he threw but after that, people knew he was in line for TJS. Especially after pitching so much last year with all his complete games. And then there was Spooney. Who was on pace to pitch 200+ innings before TJS. But not all victims of the Torborg Effect pitch bad after they come back. Look at Kerry Wood. He's in line for more surgery but has pitched nasty the past few years.

In conclusion, would you reather have Beckett for a couple games, or maybe 10-15 years?

You do not want to blow the guys arm. Yes he's young, but try pitching for 7 innings one night and then come back and pitch a few the next....you'll blow the arm!

Randy Johnson can because he's a vet and he's put his arm through all kinds of stuff like that. We are going to need him if this goes to Game 7 and then he will be our best chance to win, but not a game sooner.

Guest marlins02

to throw a little tonight after pitching more than 7 last night and then sending him out there again tommorow night to pitch a little could f*** up his arm. and even if it doesnt, by tommorow i doubt he would have anything left. and then there is his potential game 7 start.

cops get paid to fight crime, they cant die can they?

How will his arm get destroyed? he's a pitcher! he gets paid money to pitch baseballs!

Notice I didn't say pitch the whole game tonight, but he can pitch alittle bit tonight and then again when we need him in game 5 or 6 and then 7 if we can get that far. We NEED to win and he can rest in the winter.

theres a certain point to that your arm can pitch in a certain period of time.

he could literally destroy his career by being overworked

Notice I didn't say pitch the whole game tonight, but he can pitch alittle bit tonight and then again when we need him in game 5 or 6 and then 7 if we can get that far. We NEED to win and he can rest in the winter.

Even pitching him a few innings could **** up his arm!! I know you want to win, but not like that!!

Dude, do you know what the effect of throwing so much has on your arm? I mean, even a KNUCKLE baller can't pitch night after night unless they come out the bullpen.

Well.....

And no, Beckett doesn't pitch. But you can't look at innings thrown, you have to look at pitches thrown. 104 pitches will take him until Game 7 to recover fully and completely for another start. Maybe if he had thrown 80 pitches in 7 innings he would have been available for a Game 6 (then again, he would have probably thrown more than 7 innings if he was at 80 when the 8th inning started) but nothing before that under any circumstances.

I really doubt his arm will break off if we pitch him a few more times this world series. This is the WORLD SERIES we're talking about! I know he's young but I think thats why he can get away with throwing more. Besides, who knows if Miami will be here again. Look at how long it took us to get back to the world series! I say do everything you can to win the series and worry about anything down the road and who is to say Beckett will be with Miami forever? He may leave us like the other players.

I really doubt his arm will break off if we pitch him a few more times this world series. This is the WORLD SERIES we're talking about! I know he's young but I think thats why he can get away with throwing more. Besides, who knows if Miami will be here again. Look at how long it took us to get back to the world series! I say do everything you can to win the series and worry about anything down the road and who is to say Beckett will be with Miami forever? He may leave us like the other players.

his arm will be hurt, and we dont want to risk a potential 20 game winner, cy young pitcher with a lonnnnnnng career ahead of him. when you have competent arms in the pen.

the fact that you want him to pitch on less than 24 hours rest is ridiculous

btw....it only took us 6 years to get back up to "the top" that not very long

he started following the marlins after they won the NLDS so i dont think he's aware of his blisters and such...

Of course. How would I know he had finger problems. I just took a wild guess.

i wasnt talking about you i was saying "Diehardmarlinsfan" wouldnt be aware of becketts injurys because he started following the marlins after the NLDS.

So what? Does that mean the Marlins should not pitch Beckett more? I don't think so. If some old man like Randy Johnsen can do it, a young guy like Beckett can.

You're doing this on purpose aren't you? I mean, look at the picture in you sig...

And if you're not doing this on purpose... go learn.

So what? Does that mean the Marlins should not pitch Beckett more? I don't think so. If some old man like Randy Johnsen can do it, a young guy like Beckett can.

GO MARLINS!

Becketts a young pitcher, who's arm we want to preserve and not risk injury to.

I cant really find a way to explain how dangerous pitching him on back to back days may be to his arm.