Guess who donated $20 million to his alma mater?

Guest iFesta Touch

Guest iFesta Touch

Reached by phone, Jeffrey Loria, who according to Yale also donated $20 million, said he made the gift because "I'm a [Yale] graduate, and I could afford it, and it's time to give back to the university." Mr. Loria is an art dealer, as well as the owner of the Florida Marlins, and over the years he has given several works of art to Yale.

http://www.nysun.com/article/66983?page_no=3

I guess we know where all that money is going. Meanwhile, the Marlins cut their stadium contribution by $30-40M.

:|

Guest iFesta Touch

If you want to look further this is Huizenga's fault. Even further back and you can blame MLB for granting the city a franchise without a baseball-only stadium in the works.

But mostly, it's Wayne fault. Because he's the devil. Even though I'm sitting in this gorgeous Business Building he built here at Nova with its leather seats, marble floors and auto-flush urinals and toilets.

:confused

If you want to look further this is Huizenga's fault. Even further back and you can blame MLB for granting the city a franchise without a baseball-only stadium in the works.

But mostly, it's Wayne fault. Because he's the devil. Even though I'm sitting in this gorgeous Business Building he built here at Nova with its leather seats, marble floors and auto-flush urinals and toilets.

:confused

:thumbup

It was Henry who signed that ridiculous lease, promised South Florida he'd build his own stadium and who destroyed the season-ticket holding core base by inviting the riff-raff to sit in their seats while bad-mouthing (justifiably) the stadium.

But yes, Wayne is the devil.

Reached by phone, Jeffrey Loria, who according to Yale also donated $20 million, said he made the gift because "I'm a [Yale] graduate, and I could afford it, and it's time to give back to the university." Mr. Loria is an art dealer, as well as the owner of the Florida Marlins, and over the years he has given several works of art to Yale.

Well, don't expect me to defend Loria, but a $20 mill contribution may not mean an outlay of cash at this time. It could be a charitable trust whereby $20 mill is contributed, Yale is named as the beneficiary when Loria goes to the big free stadium in the sky. A present value tax deduction is taken currently, but the money is controlled by Loria and a portion paid back to him annually. What is left at death will go to the named charity. We all know Loria may need a big deduction since it is possible he has large taxable income not offset by prior losses-oh blashphemy to the Loria fans.

Cmon, the back end deals is a Loria specialty, but this would be a legitimate tax maneuver-can't fault him.

Reached by phone, Jeffrey Loria, who according to Yale also donated $20 million signed Cabrera to a 4-year deal, said he made the gift because "I'm a [Yale] graduate baseball owner, and I could afford it, and it's time to give back to the university show the community we're serious about winning." Mr. Loria is an art dealer, as well as the owner of the Florida Marlins, and over the years he has given several works of art to Yale few multi-year deals.

:shrugs

Well, don't expect me to defend Loria, but a $20 mill contribution may not mean an outlay of cash at this time. It could be a charitable trust whereby $20 mill is contributed, Yale is named as the beneficiary when Loria goes to the big free stadium in the sky. A present value tax deduction is taken currently, but the money is controlled by Loria and a portion paid back to him annually. What is left at death will go to the named charity. We all know Loria may need a big deduction since it is possible he has large taxable income not offset by prior losses-oh blashphemy to the Loria fans.

Cmon, the back end deals is a Loria specialty, but this would be a legitimate tax maneuver-can't fault him.

Sorry, should not have said "can't fault him". It is his money, but it shows his committment to the Marlins while he cries poverty.