Things you would like to see @ the new ballpark

Puma

A really low center field wall (3 ft) and immediately in back is a tank of water about 5 ft deep. Towards the back of this pool there would be fountains (like at Kauffman) that would rim the the back. So while KC, Pittsburg, Colorado have shrubery in their batter's eye we would be emphasizing Miami's water. The reason for the low center field wall is so retreating center fielder could fall over into the tank and any Jim Edmond-ian home run stealing catches instead of smashing into the walls would instead land into this pool. So the fielder would come out from the water soaked holding the caught ball up signaling a catch and be an instent Sportscenter highlight. Ala Griffey's over the wall catches.

The batter's eye pool would be sized like Kauffman's batter eye

Maybin will have a web gem every game. :lol

I posted my proposal for transforming part of the Orange Bowl grandstand into a new ballpark on another thread, but in the likely event they tear down the OB to the ground, here are a couple of my requirements.

1. Teal seats. Teal for any other major league team would be tacky. But for the Marlins, it makes perfect sense, it being a team color (albiet minimized as of late). Plus it reminds people of the color of the Atlantic down here. (Bringing back the teal lettering on the uniforms would be cool, as well. The black and silver looks too generic and boring.)

2. The Bermuda Triangle. I'd like for them to at least keep the Bermuda Triangle in Left Center. Actually, ideally I'd love for them to keep the exact same dimensions as Dolphin Stadium. It would go against the majority of the new ballparks being built as bandboxes these days.

3. The Alex Gonzalez Honorary Left Field Corner. Named after A-Gon's 12th inning shot in Game 4 of the 2003 series, not a monster moon shot, but a searing line drive which hugged the left field line and inched over the 8 foot fence in left. Had it been 10 feet to the left, it would have been foul. Had it been 10 feet to the right, it would have bounced off the Teal Tower for a double. But it found its perfect little spot to win the game and shift the momentum to the Fish.

1. A clear view of Downtown Miami (great for TV B-Roll)

2. A mechanical jumping marlin (which I think they are gonna have.)

3. A tribute to the history of Minor League Baseball in Miami and in South Florida in general.

4. Some kind of Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame. (My great-uncle, "Chino" Valdivia, was in the old one.)

I dunno, I think numbers on the armrests like at Turner Field are pretty frou-frou myself. :mischief

You missed my point. I want to see a "baseball field" and "seats" in a new stadium, that's it. All the other stuff (fish tanks, fountain, etc.) is all just pointless.

How is it pointless? The more extra things there are, the more reasons for the casual fan to come out to the park.

How is it pointless? The more extra things there are, the more reasons for the casual fan to come out to the park.

Because the question was "what would 'you' (or in this case 'I') like to see at the new ballpark," and since I'm not a casual fan but a REAL BASEBALL FAN, I want to see "BASEBALL" which would require a diamond, an outfield, and seat for me to sit in.

Now do you guys get it? I'm old school, what can I say. I derive the same amount of enjoyment watching baseball in an old spring training ballpark with wooden benches (I'm looking right at you old McKechnie Field) as I do from watching it inside a mammoth new ballpark (like Citizens Bank Park which I did this past summer). Honestly, the most enjoyable place I've ever watched a game at was from the narrow bleacher seats at Fenway Park back in 1996.

Guest iFesta Touch

1. A clear view of Downtown Miami (great for TV B-Roll)

2. A mechanical jumping marlin (which I think they are gonna have.)

3. A tribute to the history of Minor League Baseball in Miami and in South Florida in general.

4. Some kind of Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame. (My great-uncle, "Chino" Valdivia, was in the old one.)

Agreed on all counts.

It will be interesting to see how the ballpark is angled to fit on the site. If it's placed facing the traditional NE direction the 'window' would have to be on the rightfield side. The original OB plan provided no view of the downtown skyline. If the ballpark is placed where homeplate faces SE the ballpark would have a view of the entire skyline. My hope for the new ballpark design is that it provides an open-air feel.

BTW, the mechanical Marlin was planned.

I don't want this ballpark to feel gimmicky like Minute Maid Park.

I would love a La Granjas there :)

yea! Now we are talking! Love me some La Granja chicken.

love that place! that would deffinately be a plus if we were to get that.

I was just gonna say we need nice restaurants and better food in the stadium.

I also agree with a Teal Tower version 2.

We really do need better food. This is freakin' Miami, we need more than just the generic hot dog/pretzels/popcorn/peanuts for food. Give it some local flair.

Cuban Coffee is a must.

The things I would like to see...

1) View of Field from all Concourses....Complete walkway around park like Citizens Bank Park in Philly.

2) Conine's Corner...Left Field Themed Corner named after Mr. Marlin

3) Marlins Hall of Fame with a Museum Like Display of our Two World Championships and Celebrations, along with Franchise Firsts and a history of the Miami Marlins.

4) "Barger Way" - Year Found Attraction and Street Fair like entrance to honor Carl Barger and themed rival to Yawkey Way in Beantown. Lets give John Henry a place to rival his hallowed shrine. Will feature bars and restaurants, Marlins Team Store, and Year Round entertainment and Tours.

5) The Teal Monster in Left Field....One of our few salvagable features along with the Hot Tub we can extract from the Dump in Miami Gardens.

6) Metrorail, Metromover, or Streetcar access a must for success of the Ballpark

7) Fully retractible roof and A/C like Minute Maid in Houston. All this talk about a Sail like roof and any mention of non-climate control is nonsense and hopefully a non-starter.

8) Water Feature like the Fountains in Kansas City. One of the most beautiful features rarely duplicated or copied. Mabe can incorporate a "Jumping Marlin" when our young bashers knock one out of the park.

9 Seating Neighborhoods similiar to Petco Park in San Diego

10) A Distinctive feature i.e the Warehouse at Camden, Ivy at Wrigley, and could involve the Teal Monster

11) Miami Themed Foodcourt....I.E Joe's, Versailles, News Cafe, Wet Willies, Clevelander etc...

12) Battting Cage, Pitch Count Amusements etc...

A few suggestions and love to hear your feedback,additons, suggestions....

We have had so much pain and many false hopes the last 10 years ...Hopefully the vote comes our way tommorrow and we can start to dream of the fun stuff.... :notworthy