MetroPCS will have a 3G network before end 2008 in seven markets

minus

MetroPCS planning 3G service in seven markets

Posted by Will on Tuesday, December 11th, 2007 at 3:24 pm under MetroPCS, Alcatel, Technologies, Services, Announcements

Tagged: 3g, cdma, evdo, metropcs and unlimited

MetroPCS to roll out 3G network in seven US marketsFollowing on MetroPCS?s successful launch in the coveted Los Angeles market, the ?unlimited? carrier has announced that they?ll be working with Alcatel-Lucent to bring 3G data service to seven key markets in the US. MetroPCS won the 3G spectrum in last year?s AWS spectrum auction, and will be upgrading their CDMA network from 1xRTT to EV-DO speeds in Los Angeles, Detroit, and Dallas.

MetroPCS also plans to launch in four new markets with 3G from the get-go - New York, Las Vegas, Bostson, and Philadelphia will see MetroPCS?s 3G EVDO network go live in the near future.

?Our customers want the most value for their dollar and our unlimited flat-rate service offers a compelling value proposition, which is evident by the remarkable continued growth of our subscriber base,? said Roger D. Linquist, MetroPCS? Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer.

The upgraded 3G MetroPCS network will bring advanced data solutions to its subscriber-base. MetroPCS customers can expect the same ?unlimited? rate plan model with even more service options - services like ?advanced multimedia, mobile data, unified communications, video mail, speech-enabled and real-time voice portal applications.?

MetroPCS did not outline their 3G-rollout timeline, but we assume it?ll be completed before the end of 2008. Unlimited wireless plans just got a bit more interesting. We?d love to see a 3G GSM network with an unlimited rate-plan model - now that would get us to bite.

Everyone had a Metro Piece of sh*t in middle school. It was the training wheels of cellphones.

It no longer sucks... I made the switch from Cingular (Now At&t) to Metro. I have no problem with their service. They're about to get bigger if they entice leap wireless. This deal could potentially put Metropcs as the fourth largest mobile service provider.

Everyone had a Metro Piece of sh*t in middle school. It was the training wheels of cellphones.

It no longer sucks... I made the switch from Cingular (Now At&t) to Metro. I have no problem with their service. They're about to get bigger if they entice leap wireless. This deal could potentially put Metropcs as the fourth largest mobile service provider.

Do you know how many are in front of it?

I consider myself pretty damn tech savvy and knowledgeable and I'd seriously never heard of MetroPCS before you mentioned them.

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, T-Mobile, Alltel, U.S Cellular, and SunCom are all larger.

MetroPCS isn't even national.

Do you know how many are in front of it?

I consider myself pretty damn tech savvy and knowledgeable and I'd seriously never heard of MetroPCS before you mentioned them.

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, T-Mobile, Alltel, U.S Cellular, and SunCom are all larger.

MetroPCS isn't even national.

Alltel will be behind metro if deal goes through...

My bad it will be fifth largest:

If the deal is accepted and approved, the combined company would become the fifth-largest cell phone operator in the U.S.

here the rest of that article..

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9770538-7.html