Updated: Parcells accepts Dolphins offer (4 Years)

Passion

Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

Parcells said he has no plans to return to coaching.

"Arthur wants to rebuild the football operation. I'll hire a general manager and then we'll hire a coach. We'll do this together, the GM, the coach and myself. The coach absolutely will not be Bill Parcells. All this happens if we finalize this thing, which I expect to do."

Asked about a potential GM and coach, Parcells said, "I've got a list but that's all I'm saying."

Parcells added that current GM Rich McKay would be asked to stay aboard but that "I don't really know how he feels about that."

Blank has informed McKay that he will not return in the same role, even though the owner wants McKay to remain as the team's president, sources said.

Blank's talks with Parcells evolved from an advisory role into a firm offer to rebuild his football operation, sources said.

Blank could not be reached for comment.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, also has had limited dialogue with the Miami Dolphins about a similar role but the talks with the Falcons have been more urgent, a league source said.

McKay is out as general manager, sources said, even if Parcells does not join the Falcons. However, Blank has asked McKay to remain as the team's president to oversee short-range and long-range stadium plans and continue as a valuable liaison with the league.

It is uncertain if McKay would accept a new role with the Falcons. He also is co-chairman of the league's competition committee.

If Parcells declines his offer, Blank still will hire a new general manager or he could give personnel control to the new head coach, sources said.

Blank has acted with urgency since Bobby Petrino resigned as coach on Dec. 12th. He spoke with Bill Cowher on Friday when the former Steelers coach told the owner that he had no plans to return to the sidelines in 2008, sources said.

The Falcons owner also consulted with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones concerning Parcells, who resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. Jones credited Parcells with the franchise's turnaround at a point the Cowboys had suffered through three consecutive 5-11 seasons.

There is added irony in that Jones was an unofficial emissary for the University of Arkansas, his alma mater, who first relayed to Blank the school's interest in Petrino.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597

Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

"Arthur wants to rebuild the football operation. I'll hire a general manager and then we'll hire a coach. We'll do this together, the GM, the coach and myself. The coach absolutely will not be Bill Parcells. All this happens if we finalize this thing, which I expect to do."

Asked about a potential GM and coach, Parcells said, "I've got a list but that's all I'm saying."

Parcells added that current GM Rich McKay would be asked to stay aboard but that "I don't really know how he feels about that."

Blank has informed McKay that he will not return in the same role, even though the owner wants McKay to remain as the team's president, sources said.

Blank's talks with Parcells evolved from an advisory role into a firm offer to rebuild his football operation, sources said.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, also has had limited dialogue with the Miami Dolphins about a similar role but the talks with the Falcons have been more urgent, a league source said.

McKay is out as general manager, sources said, even if Parcells does not join the Falcons. However, Blank has asked McKay to remain as the team's president to oversee short-range and long-range stadium plans and continue as a valuable liaison with the league.

It is uncertain if McKay would accept a new role with the Falcons. He also is co-chairman of the league's competition committee.

If Parcells declines his offer, Blank still will hire a new general manager or he could give personnel control to the new head coach, sources said.

Blank has acted with urgency since Bobby Petrino resigned as coach on Dec. 12th. He spoke with Bill Cowher on Friday when the former Steelers coach told the owner that he had no plans to return to the sidelines in 2008, sources said.

The Falcons owner also consulted with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones concerning Parcells, who resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. Jones credited Parcells with the franchise's turnaround at a point the Cowboys had suffered through three consecutive 5-11 seasons.

There is added irony in that Jones was an unofficial emissary for the University of Arkansas, his alma mater, who first relayed to Blank the school's interest in Petrino.

looks like the dolphins are too late, the falcons will be playoff contenders is 3-4 years.

looks like the dolphins are too late, the falcons will be playoff contenders is 3-4 years.

Parcells is overrated, he hasn't done very much since Bellichik left his side.

As a coach or GM? Because Parcells seems to have a knack for signinig/drafting very good personel.

As a coach or GM? Because Parcells seems to have a knack for signinig/drafting very good personel.

but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through. Sources close to Parcells told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli that Parcells and the Dolphins are in active negotiations and are closing in on a deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3161733

PLEASE!!PLEASE!!PLEASE!!PLEASE!!PLEASE!!

Obviously Bill Parcells is a very good VP and probably would be an upgrade over anyone we have had in that FO for the last 10 years, but the guy is 66 years old. The Dolphins at this point are going to take some long range vision, it won't just be a short turnaround.

I would rather see a younger executive type who is willing to stick it out and make us a winner. I fear Parcells would be all about signing older FA types to plug in the holes, which is the last thing this Dolphin team needs.

It will be interesting to see if Parcells has full say on who is the coach, and who he would hire.

Former NFL coach Bill Parcells has agreed to a four-year deal proposed by owner Wayne Huizenga to make him the team's head of football operations, a source has told The Miami Herald.

Huizenga was at the Dolphins' training facility for approximately one hour, from 4:45 p.m. to just before 6 p.m., where he met with Cam Cameron in the coach's office. The futures of both Cameron and general manager Randy Mueller are currently unknown.

The negotiations have been on-going between Parcells' agent, Jimmy Sexton, and Miami owner Wayne Huizenga throughout the day. The Dolphins are not commenting publicly about the deal.

Although published and Internet reports early Wednesday said Parcells was ready to take an offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their vice-president in charge of football operations -- a job that would grant him the power to hire a general manager and head coach -- Parcells backed out of that offer later in the day.

''Prior to the information becoming public, we reached agreement in principle with Bill,'' Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement. ``We met this morning to complete the contract. At that time we were made aware that he is considering a revised offer from the Miami Dolphins.

``He later informed us he would not be signing a contract with us.''

An ESPN report stating Parcells had backed out of the deal with Atlanta and was talking to the Dolphins flashed across the multiple plasma TV screens in the Miami locker room while players were between practice and meetings.

''We're going to have a new daddy,'' offensive tackle L.J. Shelton joked.

Defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday sees adding Parcells as a good thing.

''We talk a lot throughout this league and Bill Parcells is one of those names that if he comes in and he's on board, he's a guy that's going to get things going in the right direction,'' Holliday said. ``He's the Big Tuna.''

LINK

Former NFL coach Bill Parcells has agreed to a four-year deal proposed by owner Wayne Huizenga to make him the team's head of football operations, a source has told The Miami Herald.

Huizenga was at the Dolphins' training facility for approximately one hour, from 4:45 p.m. to just before 6 p.m., where he met with Cam Cameron in the coach's office. The futures of both Cameron and general manager Randy Mueller are currently unknown.

The negotiations have been on-going between Parcells' agent, Jimmy Sexton, and Miami owner Wayne Huizenga throughout the day. The Dolphins are not commenting publicly about the deal.

Although published and Internet reports early Wednesday said Parcells was ready to take an offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their vice-president in charge of football operations -- a job that would grant him the power to hire a general manager and head coach -- Parcells backed out of that offer later in the day.

''Prior to the information becoming public, we reached agreement in principle with Bill,'' Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement. ``We met this morning to complete the contract. At that time we were made aware that he is considering a revised offer from the Miami Dolphins.

``He later informed us he would not be signing a contract with us.''

An ESPN report stating Parcells had backed out of the deal with Atlanta and was talking to the Dolphins flashed across the multiple plasma TV screens in the Miami locker room while players were between practice and meetings.

''We're going to have a new daddy,'' offensive tackle L.J. Shelton joked.

Defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday sees adding Parcells as a good thing.

''We talk a lot throughout this league and Bill Parcells is one of those names that if he comes in and he's on board, he's a guy that's going to get things going in the right direction,'' Holliday said. ``He's the Big Tuna.''

LINK

Hopefully he'll help make the Fins relevant again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.