Debate over Barry Bonds and steroid use

The_Punisher

Yeah Bonds took them a few times too many.

BEFORE THE JUICE he was a good contact hitter, with speed, and just a little pop!

AFTER THE JUICE he became a huge power threat, but got slower and slower until he couldn't steal anymore bases but one or two a year, his BB ratio ballooned because pitchers feared the HR bomb, and his OBP was ridiculous.

Bonds last year in Pittsburgh hit only 34 bombs. But even then he was already showing sign of of steroid usage.

in 473 at bats

he slugged .624 that year

and no he was not showing any signs of steroid usage then

Ramp I wish I could find pics of his last year in Pittsburgh, but if I remember correctly, he was far off from the thin player he was during his rookie season.

Bonds last year in Pittsburgh hit only 34 bombs. But even then he was already showing sign of of steroid usage.

in 473 at bats

Ramp I wish I could find pics of his last year in Pittsburgh, but if I remember correctly, he was far off from the thin player he was during his rookie season.

Not being as thin as one was just out of college is a thing to bring up.... By the way, Babe Ruth, that guy got bigger as time went on, ROIDS.

in 473 at bats

Not being as thin as one was just out of college is a thing to bring up.... By the way, Babe Ruth, that guy got bigger as time went on, ROIDS.

No, that's called Oat Meal. Different eras, and they became different type of "BIGS" smarty.

in 473 at bats

No, that's called Oat Meal. Different eras, and they became different type of "BIGS" smarty.

Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer.

Yeah Bonds took them a few times too many.

BEFORE THE JUICE he was a good contact hitter, with speed, and just a little pop!

AFTER THE JUICE he became a huge power threat, but got slower and slower until he couldn't steal anymore bases but one or two a year, his BB ratio ballooned because pitchers feared the HR bomb, and his OBP was ridiculous.

This is a terrible, terrible post. I shouldn't respond.

By all accounts, Bonds began using steroids following the 98 season. So, let's assume he is clean in every year prior to 99 (no reason not to):

86-98 (13 seasons): 5 600+ SLG seasons, 9 .500 + SLG, 7 100+ BB, 9 .400+ OBP, 8 30+ HR seasons, 2 200+ OPS+ seasons, 10 150 OPS+ seasons.

You do not know what you are talking about, so just stop. Even prior to 99, Bonds is the best hitter of his generation. And, when most of the other hitters started catching up to him because they were on roids, yes, he took steroids. He remained the best hitter of his generation, and it wasn't even close.

Here was Bonds in his first year with San Fran... People tend to forget that players can actually get bigger by working out. His increase in size from 86 to 93 looks pretty natural. I'll admit that in 98 through 2000, it was a bit extreme... But to say he was roiding in Pittsburgh, or even his first few years with the Giants is ridiculous.

But to say he was roiding in Pittsburgh, or even his first few years with the Giants is ridiculous.

Not really, just because he wasn't super huge back then doesn't mean he wasn't roiding. Maybe

he just upped the doses later on.

You can speculate all you want, but going off what people consider to be actual evidence based on his size, there is nothing to imply he was doing anything before 98... His homerun totals were obviously very good in the early 90's, but not ridiculous and he wasn't getting extraordinarily big.. I think it's pretty safe to assume that he was clean back then.

But to say he was roiding in Pittsburgh, or even his first few years with the Giants is ridiculous.

Not really, just because he wasn't super huge back then doesn't mean he wasn't roiding. Maybe

he just upped the doses later on.

How can you possibly say this?

There is zero evidence to indicate that Bonds was on steroids in the early 1990s. If good numbers are "evidence" to you then MLB has a rather big problem.

I never said he did or didn't, all I said is it's not impossible.

And why do people continue to forget that PEOPLE GET LARGER AS THEY GET OLDER. Jesus.

As you get older your metabolic rate slows and you get larger. You don't have to take roids to grow as you age.

Your head doesn't get bigger and you don't become more ripped just because you are getting older either.

I'm not getting in to this one way or another, but that is a superfluous post.

And why do people continue to forget that PEOPLE GET LARGER AS THEY GET OLDER. Jesus.

As you get older your metabolic rate slows and you get larger. You don't have to take roids to grow as you age.

Your head doesn't get bigger and you don't become more ripped just because you are getting older either.

Ive never seen any proof that Barry got more "ripped" as he got older. Maybe there are pictures out there that prove me wrong. Gaining muscle and getting ripped are not one in the same. You can be a lard a** and still pack on a lot of muscle. When I look at Barry Bonds, I see a guy with a lot of muscle but not a guy who is "ripped".

It looks to me like Barry's body fat percentage is much higher than it was when he was younger which would explain a lot of the "growth" which is spoke of.

I have no argument for your comment about the size of his head. :p

Ive never seen any proof that Barry got more "ripped" as he got older. Maybe there are pictures out there that prove me wrong. Gaining muscle and getting ripped are not one in the same. You can be a lard a** and still pack on a lot of muscle. When I look at Barry Bonds, I see a guy with a lot of muscle but not a guy who is "ripped".

It looks to me like Barry's body fat percentage is much higher than it was when he was younger which would explain a lot of the "growth" which is spoke of.

Fox

I was speaking in elementary terms for the benefit of other posters, not for you and I. Your post was very informative though. Im just curious, when was that photo you posted of Barry taken?

The Barry I saw at Dolphins Stadium in 2007 was not ripped. He was very soft.