McGwire trying to gather support into HOF

Eddie Altamonte

Wow.. good thing Eddie Altamonte doesn't actually have a vote... putting McGwire into the Hall, but not Bonds?? Hmmm....

You didn't understand my position at all. If Bonds is convicted there is tangible undisputed evidence of cheating, considering he doesn't have a history of injuries in his career that puts him in a category all by himself apart fom McGwire and apart from Clemons, as much as I hate Bonds for being an a**hole of monumental proportions, if he is acquitted he should be in the HOF. Considering the federal court system's history, very few people who are indicted and go to trial are ever acquitted. In my mind it just doesn't look good at all for Barry Lamar Bonds

Whoa, what?!?!

Really, so now we're letting people in who were accused of steroids that had a history of injuries but not those who were.... ummmm... accused of steroids.... ?

Wow.. good thing Eddie Altamonte doesn't actually have a vote... putting McGwire into the Hall, but not Bonds?? Hmmm....

You didn't understand my position at all. If Bonds is convicted there is tangible undisputed evidence of cheating, considering he doesn't have a history of injuries in his career that puts him in a category all by himself apart fom McGwire and apart from Clemons, as much as I hate Bonds for being an a**hole of monumental proportions, if he is acquitted he should be in the HOF. Considering the federal court system's history, very few people who are indicted and go to trial are ever acquitted. In my mind it just doesn't look good at all for Barry Lamar Bonds

Whoa, what?!?!

Really, so now we're letting people in who were accused of steroids that had a history of injuries but not those who were.... ummmm... accused of steroids.... ?

What sets Bonds apart is that he is only one sweating bullets because of having to contemplate possibility of going to jail

Anyone who doesn't think that McGwire's numbers deserve the HOF without the steroid issues are fooling themselves and just allowing the steroid potential to raise a bias. IMO, he is the greatest pure power hitter ever, and unlike Bonds, he did not have a suspicious spike in power when he was almost 40. McGwire was always an incredible power hitter, as his rookie HR record would attest to, and even before he broke the single season HR record he set the ab/hr record in an injury shortened season (correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I seem to recall from years ago that I haven't looked up). Either way, the HOF has a number of other players whose game was as one dimensional as McGwire...but oh what a dimension it was.

I don't think you've actually seen the numbers if you're making that statement.. Yes, McGwire was a great power hitter since his rookie season. However, his career high up until 1996 had been 49, which came in his rookie season. Then, somehow, from 1996 through 2000, the dude started averaging about 60 homeruns per season. How is that not a suspicious spike? Bonds career high, before he allegedly began taking steroids, was 46 in 1993. Only 3 shy of McGwire's previous season high.. So I wouldn't say that McGwire was that much of a superior power hitter over Bonds...

Having said all this, I think Bonds and McGwire both deserve to be in the HOF. I just don't get any reasoning that would put Big Mac in and not Bonds...

whoever said something about pete rose is comparing apples and oranges.

Anyways, let me help you all end this right now.

Anyone that has been tested for a banned substance and failed should not be in the hall of fame.

Anyone that is accused of using a banned substance but was never tested or PROVEN to have used them and has hall of fame numbers should be in the hall of fame.

Um, don't we live in a country where everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty? Prove McGwire cheated and he is out. But keep in mind he wasn't cheating if it wasn't a banned substance.

Anyone that has been tested for a banned substance and failed should not be in the hall of fame.

Anyone that is accused of using a banned substance but was never tested or PROVEN to have used them and has hall of fame numbers should be in the hall of fame.

Um, don't we live in a country where everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty? Prove McGwire cheated and he is out. But keep in mind he wasn't cheating if it wasn't a banned substance.

FINALLY THE VOICE OF REASON! THANK YOU

Yes, the voice of reason. The two of you have basically ruled out Alex Sanchez and Jose Guillen from getting into the HOF... Great.... As for Big Mac and Bonds, they are in then since they never tested positive for any banned substances. Glad we could put this to rest.

Yes, the voice of reason. The two of you have basically ruled out Alex Sanchez and Jose Guillen from getting into the HOF... Great.... As for Big Mac and Bonds, they are in then since they never tested positive for any banned substances. Glad we could put this to rest.

Got news for you...I don't believe Alex Sanchez is gonna be getting many votes to the HOF once his career is over. Jose Guillen won't be getting many more votes either, for that matter!

Got news for you...I don't believe Alex Sanchez is gonna be getting many votes to the HOF once his career is over. Jose Guillen won't be getting many more votes either, for that matter!

That is his point. You're "voice of reason" rules out a bunch of nobodies and Rafael Palmiero.

That is his point. You're "voice of reason" rules out a bunch of nobodies and Rafael Palmiero.

and what's your point????

except Bonds if he is convicted on the perjury charge

Probably.. But I just don't see how he can get convicted. He has never tested positive, so the only evidence against him is either hearsay or circumstantial..

I stand by what a previous poster said.. If a player tests positive for a substance banned by MLB at the time the test took place, then don't let him into the Hall.. Assuming his career numbers were drastically altered by steroids. From what we know about Andy Pettite for example, I don't think I would fault the guy.... But other than that, you really can't keep someone from getting in if they weren't doing anything that MLB had no rules against.

Whoa, what?!?!

What sets Bonds apart is that he is only one sweating bullets because of having to contemplate possibility of going to jail

This is so ridiculous. What also sets him apart is that he had to testify in front of a judge and these other guys didnt. If a huge amount of other guys had the same thing happen, theyd also be sweating bullets about going to jail, how the f*** does that make any difference?

Guest Night Phantom

Probably.. But I just don't see how he can get convicted. He has never tested positive, so the only evidence against him is either hearsay or circumstantial..The government says they have positive tests.

And for whoever busted out the United States of America defense, remember that in this nation of laws we convict people based on circumstantial evidence all the time. And it isn't wrong to do so.

Probably.. But I just don't see how he can get convicted. He has never tested positive, so the only evidence against him is either hearsay or circumstantial..The government says they have positive tests.

And for whoever busted out the United States of America defense, remember that in this nation of laws we convict people based on circumstantial evidence all the time. And it isn't wrong to do so.

And this justice system also lets off sports figures who are murderers, have gotten DUI's, etc. It's too bad that this nation must take the POTENTIAL that a player used steroids to prevent them from something as trivial (in context) as the HOF while others get away with taking a life.

Whoa, what?!?!

This is so ridiculous. What also sets him apart is that he had to testify in front of a judge and these other guys didnt. If a huge amount of other guys had the same thing happen, theyd also be sweating bullets about going to jail, how the f*** does that make any difference?

Well others might have lied but they didn't, Bonds could have told the truth and he didn't

Whoa, what?!?!

As ridiculous as it may sound to you. jail = no hall for Barry

as for Mac, why the 5th amendment act in front of congress if he had nothing to hide, and as for Bonds the govt must think it has enough on him to prove he is lying so if he is convicted... THEY BOTH ARE OUT!!!! fantastic!!!!

Dumb.

I think not, the cheaters can;t get in the HOF, period, it pains me to see the likes of Mays, Aaron, F, Robinson who played the game the right way get pushed aside by these guysm thats all,

Whoa, what?!?!

Well others might have lied but they didn't, Bonds could have told the truth and he didn't

If its fair to have Bonds testify in front of a jury, have em all do that and then see how many lie, and then see how hard "they" try to prove that those who lied did lie like they did with Bonds.

as for Mac, why the 5th amendment act in front of congress if he had nothing to hide, and as for Bonds the govt must think it has enough on him to prove he is lying so if he is convicted... THEY BOTH ARE OUT!!!! fantastic!!!!

Dumb.

I think not, the cheaters can;t get in the HOF, period, it pains me to see the likes of Mays, Aaron, F, Robinson who played the game the right way get pushed aside by these guysm thats all,

You do know that, at the very least, Mays and Aaron popped greenies?

The past is not some choir boy act that people like to think of it as.

but greenies don't affect the distance a baseball will travel or add a few MPH to the heater....PEDs are an advantage that the older players did not have

no one says the older guys were choir boys but there was nothing they could take to enhance their on the field performance..........

no one answered by *dumb* question as to why MAC said what he said in front of Congress instead of just saying he was innocent and didn't take anything, but then again I am a dummy