Clemens: Trainer Only Injected Me With Legal Drugs

Passion

Baseball superstar Roger Clemens denies he cheated by using banned substances and says his accuser, former trainer Brian McNamee, only injected him with the painkiller lidocaine and the vitamin B-12.

Clemens tells this to Mike Wallace in his first interview since McNamee's accusations were released in the Mitchell Report. The interview will air on 60 Minutes, Jan. 6, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

In the scathing report on the use of banned substances in Major League Baseball produced by former Sen. George Mitchell, McNamee says he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone - both performance-enhancing drugs banned by the league.

When asked by Wallace if McNamee had ever injected him with any drugs, Clemens responds: "Lidocaine and B-12. It?s for my joints, and B-12 I still take today."

Clemens calls the accusation "ridiculous" and says he "never" used any banned substances.

"Swear?" asks Wallace.

" swear," says Clemens.

McNamee also accused fellow teammate Andy Pettitte of using HGH. Clemens denied the charge, while Pettitte admitted using HGH on two occasions while rehabbing an injury.

A total of 20 current and former Yankees were identified in the report.

Clemens was the biggest name in the report; the seven-time Cy Young Award winner has repeatedly denied using steroids or HGH.

Many of the allegations against Clemens came from McNamee. According to the report, McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998 while with the Toronto Blue Jays, and steroids and HGH in 2000 and 2001, while with the New York Yankees.

Clemens posted a video last month on the Internet repeating his denials of the allegations against him in the report. McNamee's attorney, Ed Ward, has said his client stands by the accuracy of the information he gave to Mitchell.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/03/...in3671585.shtml

Does anyone else find it interesting that Rafael Palmeiro said that he received the same injection after his positive test was revealed? Not sure what to make of that.

The same goes for both Gary Sheffield and Barry Bonds claiming that they thought the substance that came from BALCO was flaxseed oil.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Rafael Palmeiro said that he received the same injection after his positive test was revealed? Not sure what to make of that.

The same goes for both Gary Sheffield and Barry Bonds claiming that they thought the substance that came from BALCO was flaxseed oil.

"I didn't have sex with that woman. . ." Clinton

points at camera. . ."I have never, never " Palmeiro

I don't believe Clemens one bit

Guest RichWaltzLoveChild

Personally I think government needs to stay out of baseball but Clemens under oath will probably be quite entertaining.

The government is why the current drug testing system is in place.

Let them mettle in baseball affairs all they want. Selig and the PA have proven they won't do jack until the lit match is brought near the anti-trust exemption.

Guest Night Phantom

Where are all these civil libertarians when it comes to other areas :lol

As long as MLB is granted a Sherman exemption, they have to listen to Congress. Dem duh breaks

it was so nice of his friend to interview him....those questions sucked.

I don't know what more Wallace could have asked.

Its not his fault Clemens danced around everything.

In fairness, put yourself in his shoes. Guilty or not, you DEFINATELY don't want to be on the record as saying, "yeah, I saw Andy roiding up like a fiend." It ties in pretty closely with the lead in story - there's nothing worse than a snitch. I can respect that.

Clemens came off incredibly unintelligent and really helped his cause in no way possible.

He was whiny, impassionate, and the last 2-3 minutes of the interview were a mess.

Legally I can understand why he may need to not talk about some things but don't come out and tell everyone this is the interview that will prove your innocence when nothing came from it at all.

I guess what I have trouble understanding is why would McNamee lie about it? Did Clemens do something to him that ticked him off. He named enough players that he didn't need to start making up names, right? If there some underlying motive there?

The guys names Clemens in the Mitchell report and then after that calls him up asking for fishing equipment? Doesn't that seem really odd?

I watched it, and I was not impressed at all. He came off to me like he was very nervous during the interview. It didn't help that he had no real defense to the charges, other to say than they were false.

I thought the best question was, "Why would McNamee tell the truth about Andy Pettitte, but lie about Roger Clemens?"

The fact is, McNamee was going to jail unless he told the whole truth. So far non of his claims have been proved false, and one has been confirmed by a player himself. He could still go to jail if he is proven to have lied under oath, so it was in his best interest to tell the truth. If there was money to be gained by McNamee to expose players, then I would be very suspicious. However, with all of the unlikely players that have tested positive or been linked to 'roids, I am not surprised by any names anymore. Palmeiro was the most surprising to me when it came out, especially since he had strongly denied before Congress that he had ever used steroids not that long before.

It also seems to me like Clemens is not going to play again. Maybe he was thinking about it before the Mitchell Report came out, but now I doubt that he would put up with the public scrutiny.

McNamee wasn't testifying to a grand jury and I don't think was charged with anything yet. He was under no pressure to tell the truth as to avoid perjury. He was under pressure to be cooperative to gain leniency. Outing Clemens served that purpose. McNamee is like a street dealer offering up a king pin, only there's nothing to link the king pin to anything.

McNamee wasn't testifying to a grand jury and I don't think was charged with anything yet. He was under no pressure to tell the truth as to avoid perjury. He was under pressure to be cooperative to gain leniency. Outing Clemens served that purpose. McNamee is like a street dealer offering up a king pin, only there's nothing to link the king pin to anything.

Well, Andy admitting to exactly what McNamee said he did doesn't exactly make McNamee look like a liar.

So...are you saying that you believe McNamee lied, and that you believe Clemens told the truth when he made his lame denial. It's hard to tell the way you write.

For the record, I think Clemens lied. I think he took steroids. I think that there is no proof in this case. Even if someone snapped a photo of Clemens' ass as he was injected by McNamee there's no proof what he was injected with. Common sense says that Clemens would go to a regular doctor or his trainer if all he was getting was B-12 and lidocaine. I think that Clemens looked and spoke like a liar and a fool in the interview.