Cantu Signs with FISH

If Cantu doesn't show any pop in his bat this year, I swear he was another Juicer. I can't imagine a guy that hits so many dingers in 2005 go to a player w/ absolutely no power. I said this about Jose Guillen and Miguel Tejada last year and a bunch of posters jumped down my throat b/c it was "unfounded accusations". Look now. Both of their names have surfaced as Juicers.

Cantu showed promise of a lot of power in the past and now it is absolutely gone. I can't explain this. His former teamate Aubrey Huff too. Don't see how this happens. :knockout

Cantu's power was overrated. His one "good" year was an empty power year.

He had 117 RBI. Doesn't really matter what type of power he had when he was producing like that.

He obviously needs to regroup, he's had a rough couple of years but it happens. This is still the type of guy that we need to be taking a chance on.

I am not fooled one bit. Castillo will be manning third while Jacobs will be tested at the beginning of the season, and if he fails Jorge Cantu will serve as a stopgap for the rest of the season.

I think you're on the money, Castillo is the third baseman until someone takes it away from him and Jacobs, has to know going into camp he has to prove he's earned the job.

and if Jacobs stays healthy and has a solid spring, then Cantu becomes what Boone was in 07. But I still want to give him a shot at starting, just in case he shows he might have some 05 left in him. If Jacobs and Castillo are solid though, there's no room to give him starts.

I mean he drove in 117 runs and came 2 homers shy of a 30+ 115+ season. If he prooves he has some of that left in spring, then he should start.

I am not fooled one bit. Castillo will be manning third while Jacobs will be tested at the beginning of the season, and if he fails Jorge Cantu will serve as a stopgap for the rest of the season.

I think you're on the money, Castillo is the third baseman until someone takes it away from him and Jacobs, has to know going into camp he has to prove he's earned the job.

and if Jacobs stays healthy and has a solid spring, then Cantu becomes what Boone was in 07. But I still want to give him a shot at starting, just in case he shows he might have some 05 left in him. If Jacobs and Castillo are solid though, there's no room to give him starts.

I mean he drove in 117 runs and came 2 homers shy of a 30+ 115+ season. If he prooves he has some of that left in spring, then he should start.

AT first base.

AT first base.

How? If Jacobs gets the job (which he will, even if he has a mediocre spring) Cantu's only starting against lefties. Jacobs would need to have a terrible spring with some injuries thrown in to not get the job.

AT first base.

How? If Jacobs gets the job (which he will, even if he has a mediocre spring) Cantu's only starting against lefties. Jacobs would need to have a terrible spring with some injuries thrown in to not get the job.

That's a big IF. But you may have answered your own question my friend. When Jacobs gets injured Cantu will man 1st base. But at the start of the season it'll be Castillo manning third and Cantu platooning with Jacobs.

AT first base.

That's a big IF. But you may have answered your own question my friend. When Jacobs gets injured Cantu will man 1st base. But at the start of the season it'll be Castillo manning third and Cantu platooning with Jacobs.

Ok, I understand that everyone expects him to get injured, but you can't count on a guy getting injured to give another player a starting spot. If he doesn't go on the DL and puts up 450+ at-bats, then we're replacing Cantu's bat with Castillo's at third.

Castillo has no power, can't hit for average, and he strikes out. I understand the reason we want him manning third is for defensive purposes and not for his bat. If Cantu shows in ST that he can play decent defense and pick up where he left off with his bat at the end of 07, then I don't think it's worth platooning him with a semi-healthy Jacobs.

Ofcourse this is all assuming that Cantu has a solid spring. We can't be sure what to expect from him until he gets some plate appearences in spring, but we do know he was once good, where Castillo never was.

Cantu's bat shouldn't be anywhere near first base.

His bat will remain in the dugout. Could you please explain this logic?

Alex Gonzalez batted at the bottom of the order playing shortstop.

Hanley Ramirez mostly bats lead off playing shortstop. (also bounced around top of the order.)

So what does his bat have anything to do with where he plays?