Rosenthal says...

Bucklin12

Guest RichWaltzLoveChild

I'd rather give Cody or Carroll the everyday job in LF than waste money on Gonzo out there

Why does it matter?

Are you afraid that Loria's profit margins won't be high enough?

This has been brought up several times this winter when FA X is on the Marlins' radar (or is it sonar?). What does it matter if the club blows a few million on an aging veteran who shits the bed? It is not as if Beinfest is going to struggle all summer to find a way to keep the team from running a deficit for the year and going after w/e talent at the break for the stretch run (I know this team will not compete but that's just an example).

As a fan, 'blowing' a few million on a Luis Gonzalez or a Livan Hernandez when the team is expected to turn a profit in the tens of millions of dollars doesn't really bother me.

I'd rather give Cody or Carroll the everyday job in LF than waste money on Gonzo out there

Why does it matter?

Are you afraid that Loria's profit margins won't be high enough?

This has been brought up several times this winter when FA X is on the Marlins' radar (or is it sonar?). What does it matter if the club blows a few million on an aging veteran who shits the bed? It is not as if Beinfest is going to struggle all summer to find a way to keep the team from running a deficit for the year and going after w/e talent at the break for the stretch run (I know this team will not compete but that's just an example).

As a fan, 'blowing' a few million on a Luis Gonzalez or a Livan Hernandez when the team is expected to turn a profit in the tens of millions of dollars doesn't really bother me.

sorry... HotCorner said what I meant..

why waste at bats with Gonzo

the money doesn't matter to me

Marlins talking with veteran outfielder Luis Gonzalez

Click-2-Listen

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria doesn't always take time to help the front office recruit players, but he did this week with 40-year-old outfielder Luis Gonzalez.

Loria told Gonzalez, according to his agent, that the Marlins would love to sign him to provide leadership for the young team.

"Luis is really intrigued with Florida because he likes the young players, he knows (manager Fredi) Gonzalez, he likes the idea of being a mentor,'' agent Gregg Clifton said today.

Clifton said he expected to talk again with the Marlins today and that Gonzalez was impressed that Loria took the time to call him. Gonzalez is a native of Tampa, where his mother lives.

Clifton said the Marlins envision Gonzalez as a back-up in left field and at first base.

He was a five-time All-Star with Arizona before signing with the Los Angeles Dodgers last year. With L.A., he hit .278 with 15 homers and 68 RBIs in 139 games, his lowest total since 1995.

Gonzalez also is talking with the Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners, where he might be a good fit as a designated hitter. He might get regular work in the outfield for Seattle if the Mariners trade outfielder Adam Jones to Baltimore in a deal for pitcher Erik Bedard.

The Marlins have not made a financial offer to Gonzalez, who made $7.1 million in 2007. He isn't expecting to make that much in 2008, but it's unclear how much of a pay cut he would be willing to accept to play for Florida. With a payroll of about $15 million now, the Marlins might be willing to make Gonzalez the right offer.

His best season was in 2001, when he finished third in the MVP voting after hitting 57 homers with 142 RBI and a .325 average for the Diamondbacks. His delivered a game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the ninth in the seventh game of the 2001 World Series.

Last year, Gonzalez complained that Dodgers manager Grady Little didn't confer with him on lineup decisions. He might be more comfortable with the Marlins. Aside from him knowing the manager, two members of the Marlins' staff, bench coach Carlos Tosca and hitting coach Jim Presley, know Gonzalez from their time together with the Diamondbacks.

Gonzalez, who finished last season with 2,502 hits, has an outside chance of reaching 3,000 before he retires

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...110marlins.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/374414.html

Last year, Gonzalez complained that Dodgers manager Grady Little didn't confer with him on lineup decisions.

Okay. That's two different articles that said this same thing. And two different times I have to ask why a player thinks the manager has to ask his permission on line up decisions.

Pass. If he wants to be a decision maker he needs to look for a coaching position.

First of all I think the "confer with him" comment is being misunderstood because the of the author's poor choice of words and perhaps some prejudice regarding the player. More likely he meant Little didn't let him know he wasn't starting perhaps after playing the day or night before, and as veterans he's entitled to at least that. It's part of managing, it takes thirty seconds and it's not the same as not telling Matt Treanor in 2006 he wasn't catching tonight after sitting on the bench for eight straight games.

Second, Pengy asks if this may have to do with a possible future Jacobs' injury, I wonder if perhaps it has to Willingham's chronic back problems as much.

Lastly, while I'm not particularly enamored of the guy or the move, people who know him seem to be in favor of it, so maybe there is something there I missed the first time heard the rumor.

if we're adding 40 year old LF/1B candidates, why isn't Jeff Conine in the discussion?

Didn't he retire?

Heck, if were gonna pull people out of retirement, I say we sign Keith Hernandez.

I could see it now.... Keith Hernandez standing at first..... combing "Just for Men" into his mustache.. holding hands with Walt Frazier as Walt holds a mirror up for him.... I love the idea. :shifty

First of all I think the "confer with him" comment is being misunderstood because the of the author's poor choice of words and perhaps some prejudice regarding the player. More likely he meant Little didn't let him know he wasn't starting perhaps after playing the day or night before, and as veterans he's entitled to at least that. It's part of managing, it takes thirty seconds and it's not the same as not telling Matt Treanor in 2006 he wasn't catching tonight after sitting on the bench for eight straight games.

Second, Pengy asks if this may have to do with a possible future Jacobs' injury, I wonder if perhaps it has to Willingham's chronic back problems as much.

Lastly, while I'm not particularly enamored of the guy or the move, people who know him seem to be in favor of it, so maybe there is something there I missed the first time heard the rumor.

Well, '03, I didn't look at the article your way. I gleamed my interpretation of both articles from what they actually said and not what someone else thought they meant. But now that I see it your way, I suppose you could be right. However, I'm not prejudiced in any way against, or for Gonzo. I'll still take a pass.

There's so many ways to look at this. There's a number of stories, as well the gamelog from '07 that indicate when playing regularly he can still contribute. He was hitting almost .300 with 10 homeruns at the All-Star break.

That's not said in his defense, just wanted to point it out. He had some highly productive months the first part of 2007 - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=2419

I'm wondering out loud (wild unsubstantiated speculation !!!) if in fact he may wind up as a regular in 2008 because Willingham is either hurt or being traded? Does he really want to come here (or do we really want him to come here) to get 300 +/- at bats? There's something here that doesn't fit. He is going to be after all, a multi-million dollar signing. That makes this more than a "good clubhouse guy" thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.