Kotsay to the Braves

Ramp

The Atlanta Braves have reached a preliminary agreement to acquire center fielder Mark Kotsay from the Oakland Athletics, filling the hole created by the departure of Andruw Jones. The deal will be finalized once Kotsay passes a physical for Atlanta, where he is expected to fly to on Sunday, and assuming the commissioner's office approves the cash negotiated to be exchanged in the deal, sources say.

In return for Kotsay, the Braves are trading pitcher Joey Devine, and Oakland will assume $5.325 million of the $7.325 million owed to the center fielder for this year.

Kotsay, 32, played in 56 games in 2007 after having back surgery, hitting .214 with 15 extra-bases hits in 206 at-bats. In 2005, before Kotsay began having serious back trouble, he batted .280, with 51 extra-base hits and a .325 on-base percentage.

He has rated highly as a center fielder, and the Braves are trying to find a temporary center fielder for at least the start of the 2008 season, or until they deem top-prospect Jordan Schaefer ready to take over the position permanently.

Devine, a 24-year-old right-hander, was a first round pick in 2005, and has pitched 19.2 innings in the majors, compiling a 6.86 ERA.

Kotsay becomes the third veteran player traded away by Oakland, as the Athletics continue what is a major reconstruction of their team. They already have dealt pitcher Dan Haren to Arizona and outfielder Nick Swisher to Chicago this winter, and it is expected they will weigh offers for starting pitcher Joe Blanton and closer Huston Street sometime before the July 31 trade deadline.

espn.com

i'm not sure if it was a good trade for us. don't get me wrong, i like kotsay, but i think we would have been better off going with one of the young ones for centerfield instead of an injury risk. i'll reevaluate after spring training.

the a's got devine, someone the braves never used for some reason. he pitched just 8 1/3 innings in the bigs last season, with a 1.08 era. bobby probably didn't like him, thus why he was always benched.

I still can't believe we gave up Kotsay to the Padres for Dan Miceli. What was the reason behind that? Educate me. Seriously?

We didn't

We traded Kotsay for Eric Owens and Matt Clement

:lol

Oh ok that's right, the Miceli deal was for Brian Meadows deal correct? Now I remember, than we traded I believe Clement to the Cubs along with Alfonseca for the D-Train?

i'm not sure if it was a good trade for us. don't get me wrong, i like kotsay, but i think we would have been better off going with one of the young ones for centerfield instead of an injury risk. i'll reevaluate after spring training.

the a's got devine, someone the braves never used for some reason. he pitched just 8 1/3 innings in the bigs last season, with a 1.08 era. bobby probably didn't like him, thus why he was always benched.

Kotsay is just a stopgap until Jordan Schafer is ready in 2009. Kotsay and Francoer two arms not to be trying that extra base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.