2008 Projected Lineup

-Miami Fan-

1. Maybin (once he gets into the lineup)

2. Hermida

3. Ramirez

4. Willingham

5. Uggla

6. Jacobs

7. Cantu/Castillo

8. Robelo/Treanor

9. Pitcher

If Maybin doesn't start the season with the marlins then the problem is we have to bat Ramirez lead off again. Unless we throw Amezaga into center, in which case he would bat lead off, but Ross is a stronger choice to start there.

Not that it's bad to bat Ramirez leadoff again if we have to wait for Maybin, but it takes away from the middle of the order because uggla or Hermida would have to bat second.

Edit:If Maybin isn't ready for opening day, Gonzalez might go with this:

1. Ramirez

2. Uggla

3. Hermida

4. Willingham

5. Jacobs

6. Ross

7. Cantu/Castillo

8. Robelo/Treanor

9. Pitcher

With what we have now, as is, this is what I'd put on the field.

Against righties:

1. Cameron Maybin CF

2. Jeremy Hermida RF

3. Hanley Ramirez SS

4. Mike Jacobs 1B

5. Dan Uggla 2B

6. Josh Willingham LF

7. Jorge Cantu 3B

8. Matt Treanor C

9. Pitcher

Against lefties:

1. Cameron Maybin CF

2. Jeremy Hermida RF

3. Hanley Ramirez SS

4. Josh Willingham 1B

5. Dan Uggla 2B

6. Cody Ross LF

7. Jason Wood 3B

8. Mike Rabelo C

9. Pitcher

Take it or leave it, but I think that's our best shot as of right now.

Josh Willingham absolutely murdered righties last year and Mike Jacobs had a +.800 OPS vs lefties

I'm very aware of Jacobs' success against lefties, but how else do you suggest we get Ross into the lineup? Move Willingham to third against lefties? I don't think so...

Play Cody and Carroll in CF till Maybin is ready

With what we have now, as is, this is what I'd put on the field.

Against righties:

1. Cameron Maybin CF

2. Jeremy Hermida RF

3. Hanley Ramirez SS

4. Mike Jacobs 1B

5. Dan Uggla 2B

6. Josh Willingham LF

7. Jorge Cantu 3B

8. Matt Treanor C

9. Pitcher

Against lefties:

1. Cameron Maybin CF

2. Jeremy Hermida RF

3. Hanley Ramirez SS

4. Josh Willingham 1B

5. Dan Uggla 2B

6. Cody Ross LF

7. Jason Wood 3B

8. Mike Rabelo C

9. Pitcher

Take it or leave it, but I think that's our best shot as of right now.

Willingham shouldn't bat 6th in any lineup, not when he's got 100 RBI potential.

Josh Willingham absolutely murdered righties last year and Mike Jacobs had a +.800 OPS vs lefties

I'm very aware of Jacobs' success against lefties, but how else do you suggest we get Ross into the lineup? Move Willingham to third against lefties? I don't think so...

I'm pretty convinced he's ready... And if not, play him anyway. He's the best option we've got either way. It's not going to taint him.

Willingham shouldn't bat 6th in any lineup, not when he's got 100 RBI potential.

Jacobs doesn't?

I'm pretty convinced he's ready... And if not, play him anyway. He's the best option we've got either way. It's not going to taint him.

Jacobs doesn't?

If he is not ready (and I think it's pretty hard to argue against that), Carroll and Cody are much better options than Maybin

and going based on what each has done since they came into the league with RISP (.908 vs .773), Willingham is a much better fit hitting 5th or higher

But those are outliers from their norms, no?

So should we just dismiss them and pretend like it never happened?

No, I'm just saying that we have to look at them with a grain of salt, at least until they show they can repeat it.

Jacobs doesn't?

Based on what the two of them did last year, and Willingham has stayed more healthy, Josh is more likely to put up better productive numbers as the clean up hitter.

Numbers from 07 projected over a full season (roughly 580 AB)

Willingham- 24 HR, 98 RBI

Jacobs- 23 HR, 72 RBI

When compared, Willingham has a considerabley higher amount of RBI's. He also posted an .OBP of .364 to Jacobs' .317. In slugging percentage and batting average they were about even, with both their seasons dampened by injuries their numbers could have looked alot better.

It's not that Jacobs doesn't have 100 RBI potential (he certainly does along with 30+ homer potential), only that Willingham has prooven he is a patient hitter who would have driven in 100 if he hadn't missed 70-80 at-bats.

I don't want Maybin to be in the order on Opening Day unless he has a hot spring. There's absolutely no need to rush this kid.

And like Ramp said, even though it makes no sense that Josh creamed righties all year and Jake had a big OPS vs lefties, we have to stick with that until it slides back to the norm.

I don't want Maybin to be in the order on Opening Day unless he has a hot spring. There's absolutely no need to rush this kid.

And like Ramp said, even though it makes no sense that Josh creamed righties all year and Jake had a big OPS vs lefties, we have to stick with that until it slides back to the norm.

There really isn't any reason to rush him, not when he have options at center with Ross, Carrol, Amezaga, and De Aza as temporary stopgaps till he's ready.

The reason I would be in support of him starting on opening day, if he has a decent spring, is because of the balance he would bring to the lineup. If he can assume the leadoff spot then we're not forced to take away from the middle of the order by bringing Ramirez up there. The only other candidate to bat leadoff would be Amezaga, and nobody would take him over Ross right now.

Why do you have Uggla hitting above Willingham (a solid OBP guy)? It makes no sense to have Willingham hitting where you placed him.

Because wherever Uggla hits, he needs protection in the order or else he's going to be a .220 hitter instead of a .250 hitter.

The main guy we want to protect right now is Ramirez. He needs guys like Willingham, Uggla, and Jacobs behind him. Uggla should make a good number 5 hitter. He's spent almost all of his games in the 2 spot so we haven't seen what he can do with more opportunities to drive in runs. With Jacobs behind him he still gets some protection with the left-handed bat.

Why do you have Uggla hitting above Willingham (a solid OBP guy)? It makes no sense to have Willingham hitting where you placed him.

Because wherever Uggla hits, he needs protection in the order or else he's going to be a .220 hitter instead of a .250 hitter.

The main guy we want to protect right now is Ramirez. He needs guys like Willingham, Uggla, and Jacobs behind him. Uggla should make a good number 5 hitter. He's spent almost all of his games in the 2 spot so we haven't seen what he can do with more opportunities to drive in runs. With Jacobs behind him he still gets some protection with the left-handed bat.

We could go on forever about this, I just personally feel Jacobs has the potential to drive in more runs than Willingham. That's all.

We could go on forever about this, I just personally feel Jacobs has the potential to drive in more runs than Willingham. That's all.

potential means you ain't done sh*t yet :p

potential means you ain't done sh*t yet :p

It also means you might be able to accomplish a whole hell of a lot.

:mischief

I like Jake alot, but he doesn't have the potential to drive in more runs than Hammer based on his skill set

perhaps he will luck into more RBI one year than Hammer, but Josh is the much better hitter... especially when he is gonna pound lefties again in 2008

I like Jake alot, but he doesn't have the potential to drive in more runs than Hammer based on his skill set

perhaps he will luck into more RBI one year than Hammer, but Josh is the much better hitter... especially when he is gonna pound lefties again in 2008

I hope you're right... But I view Josh as that Jeff Conine type guy that you know is going to give you a .275/.370/.480 year with at least 20 homers and 80 RBI. But if he can combine his '06 season against lefties and his '07 year against righties... We have a very dangerous left fielder.

And I'm just happy there was only one thing people didn't like about my lineup... haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.