yankeefan21

BBQ Pulled Pork

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 4 hours on high [8 hours on low]

Ingredients:

2-3 lbs lean boneless pork roast

1 large walla walla onion or vidalia onions, sliced

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

28 ounces barbecue sauce (whatever your favorite one is)

8 hamburger buns

1 c. of ginger ale

Directions:

1. Place pork roast in crockpot.

2. Add onion and Worcestershire sauce.

3. Cover roast with water.

4. Crock on high for 4 hours [low for 8 hours].

5. Remove roast and onions and place in a large bowl, discarding the ginger ale and meat juice.

6. Fork-shred the pork, discarding any fat (if necessary).

7. Return shredded meat and onions to crockpot.

8. Dump the sauce over it and crock an hour or so on low until heated thoroughly.

9. Serve on toasted buns.

*I threw some shredded ginger and diced dried cherries in there for some extra kick and sweetness.

*I plan on trying this again with pineapple juice, cayenne pepper, and a couple shots of Jack Daniels

Chicken and Corn Chili

Cook time: 4 hours on high [8 hours on low] + 30 minutes to finish [if you like warm beans].

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 chopped onion

1 diced green bell pepper [seeded]

1 diced jalapeno pepper [seeded]

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken stock

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. minced garlic

1 tsp. cayene pepper

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

1 can (15 oz.) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained

1 cup frozen corn [thawed]

Directions:

Throw everything but the last three ingredients in the crockpot. Set it on high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken and shred it on a plate with a fork. Throw it back in the crockpot and add the beans, tomatoes, and corn. Cook it on high for another 30 minutes. I mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken the chili just a little bit.

Serve it with shreded monteray jack or cheddar cheese and sourcream. Tastes awesome with nachos!

*I also added some crushed tortilla chips [that I ran through a coffee grinder] to the chili to help thicken it a bit.

Guest FishFanInPA

I think you should add expected time to cook this stuff....I'm all for it but I like the recipes where i just throw stuff into a pot and cook...

I made this one saturday

Cowboy Stew

2-3 Pounds of skirt/flank steak

3 cans of diced tomatoes (one can should have tomatoes and jalapenos)

1 onion

3 potatoes

1 can of corn

2 cans of red beans

1.5 pounds of kielbasa

4 cloves of garlic

4 cups of water

cummin

chilli powder

Directions

1. Boil flank steak with garlic, onion, salt and pepper 2 hours. Water should cover the steak by two inches. When steak is ready, fork-shred. To save time you can start the stew while the steak is cooking, then add the steak in progress.

2. In a large pot include all the ingredients (chopped up) and cook on medium for 2-3 hours.

3. Eat

Cowboy Stew

I wonder if I can just throw all the ingredients in a crockpot and let it go to town then shred the steak and return to pot... I bet if I just add the corn and tomato at the end it will come out great. I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks!

I would throw the tomatoes in there the whole time.

BBQ Pulled Pork

Ingredients:

8 hamburger buns

1 c. of ginger ale

Directions:

5. Remove roast and onions and place in a large bowl, discarding the ginger ale and meat juice.

8. Dump the sauce over it and crock an hour or so on low until heated thoroughly.

*I threw some shredded ginger and diced dried cherries in there for some extra kick and sweetness.

*I plan on trying this again with pineapple juice, cayenne pepper, and a couple shots of Jack Daniels

You say the cook time is 4 hours, but add another hour, is there anyway to quicken step 8 up

BBQ Pulled Pork

Ingredients:

8 hamburger buns

1 c. of ginger ale

Directions:

Pulled pork is good.

You say the cook time is 4 hours, but add another hour, is there anyway to quicken step 8 up

Yeah - you can warm up the BBQ sauce in a sauce pan or microwave and pour it over the top. If you let it simmer for an hour, the pork infuses more of the flavor but it would still be delicious if you just added warm bbq sauce.

I warmed up enough bbq sauce for my sandwich and let the rest simmer in the bbq sauce. It reheats well so your seconds will probably taste even better than your firsts.

Cowboy Stew

I wonder if I can just throw all the ingredients in a crockpot and let it go to town then shred the steak and return to pot... I bet if I just add the corn and tomato at the end it will come out great. I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks!

I shall try this tonight. I love the crock pot, I make a wicked Lamb Shoulder stew.

Great thread idea. Here are recipes for two of my favorite Bulgarian meals:

Shopska Salad

Ingredients

4 medium tomatoes, washed and diced

4 cucumbers, washed, peeled and diced

2 green bell peppers, diced

1 red onion, chopped

1 tablespoon fresh parsley

1 cup grated Bulgarian white cheese (cirene) or feta cheese

oil, vinegar, salt and pepper (to taste)

1) Put the already cut tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion and parsley into a large bowl and mix.

2) Pour the white cheese or feta over the top of the vegetables

3) Pour olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper over the cheese and enjoy!

Rhodopean Moussaka

Ingredients

.5 kilogram minced meat (pork and beef although just beef is alright)

1 kilogram potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes

3 tomatoes, chopped

2 onions, chopped

1/3 cup parsley

3 medium sized eggs

1 cup plain yogurt

3 tablespoons of flour

salt and pepper

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F

2) Cook the minced meat and onions in a pan over the stove until the meat is brown

3) Mix together the meat, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper together in a large baking dish

4) Bake uncovered for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the potatoes are fully cooked (you should quite easily be able to mash them with a fork)

5) Combine the eggs, yogurt and flour together in a bowl and pour the mixture over the top of the dish

6) Bake for 15 more minutes and serve warm!

I shall try this tonight. I love the crock pot, I make a wicked Lamb Shoulder stew.

Funny - I'm trying it tomorrow. Let me know how it turns out. I'm planning on replacing the water with beef broth.

It came out really tasty. Would make it again. I did substitute the red beans for black beans and used red potatoes instead of white. It made a great fajita too.

Some of my own (or at least stolen from someone else) creations:

Mashed Potato Twist

To add a different kind of taste to mashed potatoes, either the instant kind or the real kind:

instead of adding all the milk, add 2-3 tablespoons (to taste) of Ranch dressing. It doesn't matter what kind- I like Hidden Valley but whatever works for you is good. It makes a creamy texture and adds some zing to the potatoes.

I've made these for years- for company- and everyone asks, "How did you make the mashed potatoes? They're awesome!"

My sweet and sour meatballs:

Take the already done meatballs (I don't have a lot of spare time, so I get the already made ones from Sam's or Costco- you can get them anywhere.

Make sure they're Italian style meatballs.

To 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meatballs, I add:

1 jar of raspberry jam (not jelly and definitely not preserves- they have seeds)

an equal amount of BBQ sauce ( any brand will do- just don't get the honey mustard kind- just the regular BBQ sauce is ok)

Let them cook in a covered pot for about 2 hours, on medium, stirring every time you think of it. Once in a while is ok.

Men have proposed marriage over these meatballs

Artichoke Dip

Take a can of artichoke hearts (get them diced already to save time) it doesn't matter what brand- whatever is cheapest.

Drain the can.

For each can used, add 1 cup of mayo (don't use Miracle Whip- only mayo)

1 cup of grated parmesean cheese

I add a teaspoon of minced garlic

Sometimes, I add a dash of cilantro and/or a dash of chives.

Stick it in the oven for 1 hour on 350 degrees and serve with Carr's water crackers. Carr's is the best I've found.

Teriyaki Wings

Again- as you can see, I'm not one to put in hours and hours in the kitchen.

Get a bag of wings from Sam's/Costco I'm talking probably about 3-5 pounds here.

KC Masterpiece makes a Honey Teriyaki marinade. I put cut mushrooms and onions in the bottom of the pan. I also add 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. I dump the marinade over the wings. You don't have to cover them but make sure they're all wet.

Cover the foil pan and put it in a 325 oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (closer to 2 hours if the wings are frozen.

The wings will drop off the bone and you will be the hit of the party!

Another crock pot easy dinner:

Put this up before you leave for work in the morning and your mouth will water when you walk in the door.

Chicken breasts (I use the skinless, boneless but any will do)

Pork is good too.

Add chopped onions, mushrooms and Mojo Crillolo. Get it from any supermarket in the Spanish foods section. All the brands are basically the same. I prefer Goya but any will do.

Dump enough to get everything wet. Remember, in a crock pot (slow cooker) everything gets more juicy and gravy becomes abundant. Don't over saturate.

Put it on low and let it cook all day. Yum, yum, yum!!! Serve with rice/mashed potatoes and a side salad and you're one happy puppy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.