Guitar

Lefty

So I just bought a $200 Fender yesterday, but I'm having second thoughts.

My main point of concern is that I am left-handed, and the obvious bias against south paws suggests that I will have to carry my guitarra with me everywhere to ensure I'll have an instrument to play. So, should I learn right-handed? Is it difficult to go against the grain here? I'd rather have the universal power to take over any guitar at my disposal rather than just hope there is a left-handed version available.

So I just bought a $200 Fender yesterday, but I'm having second thoughts.

My main point of concern is that I am left-handed, and the obvious bias against south paws suggests that I will have to carry my guitarra with me everywhere to ensure I'll have an instrument to play. So, should I learn right-handed? Is it difficult to go against the grain here? I'd rather have the universal power to take over any guitar at my disposal rather than just hope there is a left-handed version available.

This likely has very little credence, but I'm right-handed and I play Guitar Hero left-handed. It might be easier to learn to play right-handed, so you can use your left fingers to control the chords and your weaker right hand to strum.

well... Ive been playing for a few years now, and I recommend starting with the 5 based chords

C A G E D. They will be the easiest on your fingers. The first thing to do is to be able to move between them easily. Try Em instead of E, Asus2 instead of A, and Dsus 2 instead of D. They make things easier.

from the top down they are (frets):

Asus2: 0 0 2 2 0 0

Dsus2 0 0 0 2 3 0

Em: 0 2 2 0 0 0

Next try making it into a song to help the process. Play Em, G, Dsus2, and Asus 2 in that order for Wonderwall, or Boulivard of Broken Dreams. Once you can get around the chords easily, everything becomes more fun.

As for finger placement, which ever feels most comfortable is fine.. I never took a lesson so my style might be unorthadox but it works just fine...

I had a friend teach me how to play the basic chords (E, G, F, D, A, C) and just by noodling around for a long time I picked up on the minors and majors. Then I stumbled upon power chords and octave's etc.

Learning on acoustic is the best way because you'll build finger strength/calluses and when you pick up a electric guitar it will seem like a breeze (especially if the action is low).

Playing right handed is much more convenient in general but from what I've heard it is quite hard to switch if you are naturally left-handed. Give it a go though, I think it just depends on the person. Some people can switch over with little effort, others cannot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.