Marlins Sign Hendrickson

MarlinFan10

More and more it begins to appear like Andrew Miller is going to start the season at AA or AAA, which is probably wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. The way he rocketed through the minors, a bit more seasoning may be the order of the day.

Alot of sources indicate that he will crack the rotation almost regardless of his peformance in spring...we sort of need him desperately. I think he got some good experience last year with 13 starts, he's ready for a full season in the bigs.

If Olsen does poorly enough this spring and Miller does well enough, he's potentially the opening day starter. I'm pro-Miller for opening day so I don't see where Hendrickson fits in to all this other than a long relief/veteran role.

I keep asking myself why we didn't sign Livan who I would be willing to give a spot in the rotation to instead of the walking oak tree for 1.5 mil. Who knows, we might have gotten Livan for under 2 mil or possibly cheaper than Hendrickson.

I love how $1 million is to expensive to sign Aaron Boone, but then we go out and spend $1.5 million on this uber-scrub.

aaron boone doesnt pitch every fifth day. youre saying that we are stupid for blowing 1.5 mil on a mediocre starting pitcher when we could have kept a mediocre bench player? think about how illogical that sounds...

this was a good sign. hes not exactly the second coming of walter johnson, but he will help save some young arms. 1.5 million isnt bad when you consider how expensive starting pitching is these days.

''Mark gives us another quality left-handed arm in our rotation and his experience and veteran leadership should benefit our clubhouse,'' Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said in a statement.

I thought it was fairly obvious where he fits in at after reading this statement.

Olsen, Mitre, Miller, with Vanden Hurk, Nolasco, and Hendrickson battling it out in ST...is it even official that Nolasco will be ready for ST? Just the other day people were saying that there was a good chance of both Nolasco and Anibal being ready, and then we get the story about Anibal not being ready. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins take their time with Nolasco just as they're doing with Anibal.

And for the record, floridamarlins.com is showing this as our starting pitcher depth chart:

1.Olsen

2.Mitre

3.Miller

4.Hendrickson

5.Vanden Hurk

6.Nolasco

If nothing else he would be our enforcer if a brawl broke out.

Bring on the Phillies!

:shifty

eh...i see mr hendrickson as more of a leaf in a stiff breeze than a zdeno chara type

Exactly. Hendrickson would probably fall like a ton of bricks if a stiff breeze came along.

Words can't express how much I hate this acquisition.

You never know how he will respond in a pitchers park. I know Dodger stadium can be considered a pitchers park, but not nearly as much as Dolphin Stadium. This could help lower some of his numbers. I do not know his H/A spread to see if there was a disparity, but I assume the new field would help out.

Well, he is a groundball pitcher. Hopefully that won't spell doom with the way our infield played last year. I like the signing. Anything that helps keep extra innnings of of our youth while they continue to mature is priceless. I see him starting till Nolasco is health, and then provinding spot starst and middle relief. There is also the plus of having another lefty on our roster with Major League experience.

I can wait to see another reincarnation of Mark Redman. 6'9' of slowballing junk getting hit all over the place.

Redman had one real solid year with us...

Wild Card that post is not even worth the attention! Redman and Willis were two of the BIG reasons we even made it to the post season. Willis won like 8 of his very first decisions and during that time frame Redman was successful in all his starts. He even kept us in most games which is what average pitchers are suppose to do. Many wins in 03 were cause of these guys. Wish I can find a way to compile those stats from that year, anyone care to help?

I guess we get statements like this from bandwagon fans that don't follow the season but choose to write their opinions based upon post season performances. Maybe next time you should actually follow the WHOLE SEASON that way you don't look stupid my friend.

I can wait to see another reincarnation of Mark Redman. 6'9' of slowballing junk getting hit all over the place.

BTW, Redman had a solid season in 03 and would have had an even better one in 02 if not for the Tigers providing him with the lowest run support in the American League posting him a 8-15 record, while pitching over 200 innings.

I can't say I hate the move, but I can't say I'm in love with it either. Hopefully he pans out for the next year, maybe two with consistant statistics and a .500 record.

Hendrickson, wall the best to you as a Marlin if your reading this.... and if you are really reading thisyou better be wearing 69 on the back of your jersey. It would even better if you wore 6'9.

Chris

More and more it begins to appear like Andrew Miller is going to start the season at AA or AAA, which is probably wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. The way he rocketed through the minors, a bit more seasoning may be the order of the day.

100% emphatically disagree. This move says the organization has no faith in VANDEN HURK to start at the MLB level right now and that he needs more seasoning.

Olsen, Mitre, Hendrickson, Miller, and Nolasco unless someone gets hurt. Waecther/Seddon/Barone to back that up initially, and Anibal/Volstad/Gaby/Vanden Hurk hopefully all ready for contributions in June.

I can't say I hate the move, but I can't say I'm in love with it either. Hopefully he pans out for the next year, maybe two with consistant statistics and a .500 record.

Hendrickson, wall the best to you as a Marlin if your reading this.... and if you are really reading thisyou better be wearing 69 on the back of your jersey. It would even better if you wore 6'9.

Chris

You never know who is going to get hurt, its better to have guys to fill in as starters instead of not having any guys and bringing up AA or AAA guys who won't necessarily be able to get it done.

Redman had one real solid year with us...

Wild Card that post is not even worth the attention! Redman and Willis were two of the BIG reasons we even made it to the post season. Willis won like 8 of his very first decisions and during that time frame Redman was successful in all his starts. He even kept us in most games which is what average pitchers are suppose to do. Many wins in 03 were cause of these guys. Wish I can find a way to compile those stats from that year, anyone care to help?

I guess we get statements like this from bandwagon fans that don't follow the season but choose to write their opinions based upon post season performances. Maybe next time you should actually follow the WHOLE SEASON that way you don't look stupid my friend.

Why would you call someone stupid for posting their opinion? If you disagree w/ a post, then do so. State why you disagree and leave it at that. Heck, stooping to namecalling is even more pathetic than what Wild Card did. I guess this is what we get when we have adolescents posting on this site. :nono

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.