Huckabee Wants to Amend Constitution in "God's Image"

FutureGM

Surprised that this hasn't been posted yet....

From NBC/NJ's Adam Aigner-Treworgy

WARREN, Mich. -- Huckabee's closing argument to voters here this evening featured a few new stories and two prolonged sections on illegal immigration and Christian values.

These two topics usually feature prominently in Huckabee's stump speech, but last night he got specific, promising to build a border fence within 18 months if elected and elaborating on his belief that the constitution needs to be amended.

"[some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Huckabee often refers to the need to amend the constitution on these grounds, but he has never so specifically called for the Constitution to be brought within "God's standards," which are themselves debated amongst religious scholars. As a closing statement he asked the room of nearly 500 supporters to "pray and then work hard, and in that order," to help him secure a victory in Tuesday's GOP primary.

Tomorrow Huckabee will visit two polling places in the morning before taking off for South Carolina where he will watch Michigan's returns come in.

Link

If you thought Dubya was bad, here comes the Huckster with his cross to shred the Constitution! :thumbdown

I am surprised by this. I do feel as though it may be "twisted" a little. I think we can all understand that, but after the surge he has made I am surprised he would say such a thing. I will give my apologies for supporting him if he did say these things, because it is backwards thinking. I have a feeling this was in the wrong context, but until I find that out I can't really claim it.

Something interesting, even after the McCain surge and the recent national bad publicity for Huckabee, he is still rising in the polls.

Last week in parenthesis

General:

Huckabee 23 (19)

McCain 20 (19)

Romney 18 (15)

Thompson 12 (11)

Giuliani 11 (17)

SC:

McCain 24 (28)

Huckabee 24 (19)

Romney 18

Thompson 15

I'm know I'm gonna get blasted, but I don't really give a crap.

I'm a Christian so I like this feller.

The day homosexuals are allowed to marry in America is the day I get my plane ticket outta here.

I'm sick and tired that the average American will compromise their morals at the drop of a hat just to make a dollar or to gain popularity.

I'm glad Huckabee has the balls to take a stand for what he believes in.

I don't feel like arguing so please don't try to start an argument with me.

I'm just stating my opinion, thanks.

The day homosexuals are allowed to marry in America is the day I get my plane ticket outta here.

I'm sick and tired that the average American will compromise their morals at the drop of a hat just to make a dollar or to gain popularity.

The interesting thing about Huckabee is that from what I've gathered, is that his morals and religious beliefs suit whatever the present conversation is...and the bigger Evangelicals think he's a phony.

Then again, all politicians are phony to a certain degree...but I get the feeling he is moreso than others.

The interesting thing about Huckabee is that from what I've gathered, is that his morals and religious beliefs suit whatever the present conversation is...and the bigger Evangelicals think he's a phony.

Then again, all politicians are phony to a certain degree...but I get the feeling he is moreso than others.

I'm more of a supporter of Ron Paul, but he's got a snowball's chance in heck. :confused

I'm more of a supporter of Ron Paul, but he's got a snowball's chance in heck. :confused

It is funny how many people say this. I wonder if we all just supported him if he could get the nomination and make a difference.

That is a very surprising statement to make. Even if it does fall in line with his political/religious beliefs I think this can only hurt his campaign. Then again, evangelicals do still have a lot of sway in politics currently so maybe he is banking on that.

That is a very surprising statement to make. Even if it does fall in line with his political/religious beliefs I think this can only hurt his campaign. Then again, evangelicals do still have a lot of sway in politics currently so maybe he is banking on that.

it has a huge sway in the primaries. I would say a majority of Republicans have trickled down to just evangelicals now. That is the strong base of the party. Look at NH and Michigan, independents had a large say in why huckabee finished third. Back to a primary with an even split and you see the evangelical vote is back.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Surprised that this hasn't been posted yet....

From NBC/NJ's Adam Aigner-Treworgy

WARREN, Mich. -- Huckabee's closing argument to voters here this evening featured a few new stories and two prolonged sections on illegal immigration and Christian values.

These two topics usually feature prominently in Huckabee's stump speech, but last night he got specific, promising to build a border fence within 18 months if elected and elaborating on his belief that the constitution needs to be amended.

"[some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Huckabee often refers to the need to amend the constitution on these grounds, but he has never so specifically called for the Constitution to be brought within "God's standards," which are themselves debated amongst religious scholars. As a closing statement he asked the room of nearly 500 supporters to "pray and then work hard, and in that order," to help him secure a victory in Tuesday's GOP primary.

Tomorrow Huckabee will visit two polling places in the morning before taking off for South Carolina where he will watch Michigan's returns come in.

Link

If you thought Dubya was bad, here comes the Huckster with his cross to shred the Constitution! :thumbdown

Does he even know that most of the founding fathers weren't even Christians? They were Deists.

I don't feel like arguing so please don't try to start an argument with me. I'm just stating my opinion, thanks.

I know I'm full of crap and don't want to defend my ridiculous positions, so please don't make me feel like I have no clue.

That's better.

I don't feel like arguing so please don't try to start an argument with me. I'm just stating my opinion, thanks.

I know I'm full of crap and don't want to defend my ridiculous positions, so please don't make me feel like I have no clue.

That's better.

:lol :lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.