Baseballprospectus top Marlin prospects

The_Godfather

Usually they just provide the list, but we get the full scouting reports of Kevin Goldstein for free. Pretty cool and some great info on here.

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7071

1. Cameron Maybin, CF

DOB: 4/4/87

Height/Weight: 6-4/205

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted: 1st round, 2005, Roberson HS (NC)

2007 Stats: .571/.667/.571 at Rookie-Level (2 G); .304/.393/.486 at High-A (83 G); .400/.538/1.050 at Double-A (6 G); .143/.208/.265 at MLB (24 G)

Year In Review: When not sidelined with shoulder problems, the elite-level prospect impressed in the Florida State League, hit four home runs in six Double-A games, and spent the last six weeks with the big-league squad, where he rarely played and rarely produced before moving to Florida in the biggest deal of the Winter Meetings.

The Good: When it comes to tools, Maybin is Home Depot. He has outstanding size and athleticism, projecting to hit for average and power, while also being a total burner. He effortlessly covers ground in center field, and his arm is outstanding. He?s shown a solid approach at the plate, has great instincts on the base paths, and backs up his natural ability with a strong work ethic.

The Bad: Maybin has accumulated lofty strikeout totals so far in his career, and his swing can get long at times. He understands the strike zone well enough, but needs to improve his pitch recognition, as he?s prone to chasing breaking balls out of the zone, a weakness that big-league pitchers picked up on quickly and exploited.

Fun Fact: During his week at Double-A, Maybin stepped to the plate five times with runners in scoring position, resulting in two walks, two singles, and a home run.

Perfect World Projection: A transcendent star who puts fannies in the seats.

Timetable: Maybin is clearly the Marlins' center fielder of the future and a key to the future of the franchise, but he'll have to earn a big-league job in spring training, and the Marlins are not averse to sending him back to Triple-A for more seasoning.

I highly doubt Cameron Maybin can put fannies in the seats here in Miami.

Guys like Carlos Delgado, Ivan Rodriguez, Josh Beckett, and Miguel Cabrera couldn't even do that.

Not sure if that is the point. I remember he wrote the same quote last year when he was with the Tigers. I think the point is more along the lines of "he will be so good, he will make people want to watch him play".

Sounds good to me.

Guys like Carlos Delgado, Ivan Rodriguez, Josh Beckett, and Miguel Cabrera couldn't even do that.

Not sure if that is the point. I remember he wrote the same quote last year when he was with the Tigers. I think the point is more along the lines of "he will be so good, he will make people want to watch him play".

Sounds good to me.

I know I know :p

Just thought I'd post a witty remark about our attendance.

Sounds good to me.

Maybe if they get a ballpark he may be the cornerstone along with Hanley that does draw fans into the stadium for the long run.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.