Sign in to follow this  
geemoney

Official Wrestling Discussion

I was at the NXT tapings that took place January 22nd (the ones that included Austin Aries' debut and Asuka teasing a title match). Lots of fun.

I want Rich Swann to get some more TV time, that dude is amazing.

Well Wrestlemania was a bit of a let down as I expected it to be. Ladder match and the Women's title match were good. Main event was extremely boring. I liked Corbin winning the Battle Royal but don't have any faith in creative maintaining a push as several of the other NXT stars coming up have been buried quickly (Tyler Breeze, The Ascension etc).

On 4/2/2016 at 0:26 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yep and that awkwardly awesome Joe Balor match was fun. Memorable for sure.

See I found the stoppages to hurt what could've been an absolutely classic match. The first five minutes of that match were better than anything non Zayn-Nakamura all Wrestlemania weekend. Joe fighting Balor with blood running down his face would've been one of the greatest images in NXT history. Instead what we got was multiple stoppages and a slowed down match the last 15 min that ended in predictable fashion.

I haven't found myself caring too much for Joe's matches since he came to NXT, including that London match that seems to be universally praised. But the Dallas match had all the makings of a legendary contest. I understand the concerns of his vision being cut with the blood getting in and around his eye, but man do I feel we got robbed of something that could've been so much more.

Ended in a predictable fashion? Everyone saw Joe going over, now Balor retaining. C'mon, now, don't be that guy.

As for the stoppages, yeah, they sucked, but as you said, vision, blood around the eye ... not good. Had to keep stopping just for that alone, and I don't blame them. Even with all the stoppages, it was a great match.

I think Balor retaining was the easy thing to pick, especially with rumors of Joe heading to the main roster very soon. There's really been no real threat to Balor's reign, nothing even close to what happened with Owens/Zayn. The easy answer is Balor/Nakamura at NXT Tokyo in July and have the belt change hands then, but Balor's had an uneventful run and I haven't really seen Balor/Joe as the blood feud they've wanted to portray it as. I think both are great performers, but the style of NXT hasn't provided an opportunity to really build anything special.