Conine to retire a Marlin

Skully

I seriously doubt he starts. Probably just be in uniform for the game. Maybe a late game AB. Maybe. The signing is purely symbolic. And my best guess is he wears #18.

It also figures it would be the Friday game. I gave those tix to a friend (my mechanic...a Yankees fan) because Friday is always a hard day for me to make a game.

I've read a few articles about this whole thing and there is no mention of Niner even putting a uniform on. Drunk Guy posted the link to the main story on the official site and even added the quote that someone may have misread. He signs the contract when the Marlins are playing at home, but I highly doubt he plays.. I wish he would, but it doesn't mention that anywhere.

I've read a few articles about this whole thing and there is no mention of Niner even putting a uniform on. Drunk Guy posted the link to the main story on the official site and even added the quote that someone may have misread. He signs the contract when the Marlins are playing at home, but I highly doubt he plays.. I wish he would, but it doesn't mention that anywhere.

Skully I would probably agree except since it's been publicized he's training for an ironman competition so he has to be in great shape so he plays an inning, gets an at bat, doffs the cap, humbly waves to the adoring crowd and for a minute all is right with the world.

But you're probably right, all he does is put on a uniform, has his name announced and does his wave to the crowd thing.

I have no idea why he wouldn't take an AB.

I think he will because:

1)He's gotta be in better shape than Billy Crystal. Especially with the Ironman training.

2)It's only been a 6 months since he's played, so it isn't like he's forgot how.

3)It's an exhibition. The game doesn't count at all. Nothing bad can come of him taking an AB.

I'm gonna go ahead and say there is no way he makes a plate appearance on Opening Day.

With that said, I'm super psyched that he will retire a Marlin.

I have also heard rumblings that he is not a big fan of the "Mr.Marlin" tag. *shrugs*

I have no idea why he wouldn't take an AB.

I think he will because:

1)He's gotta be in better shape than Billy Crystal. Especially with the Ironman training.

2)It's only been a 6 months since he's played, so it isn't like he's forgot how.

3)It's an exhibition. The game doesn't count at all. Nothing bad can come of him taking an AB.

This was my original thinking. Add in he could always PH for a pitcher. If I had known this was going to happen I would have given my friend the Saturday tix and I would have made sure I was going to be at that Friday game. Oh well. Hindsight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.