Hammerhead Posted April 21, 2008 Share Posted April 21, 2008 MIAMI GARDENS - Third baseman Jorge Cantu and his agent both insist a domestic violence matter won't interrupt his season. According to the St. Petersburg Times, Cantu has a Wednesday court date in Pinellas County stemming from a temporary protection order filed against him earlier this week. St. Petersburg resident Nanci Michelle Ikerd alleged she sustained bruises to her left biceps and was verbally threatened during a Feb. 8 incident. After Friday's 6-4 loss to the Nationals, Cantu said he didn't anticipate missing any time to resolve the matter. The Marlins begin a seven-game road trip Monday in Pittsburgh that takes them through Atlanta for a two-game set Wednesday and Thursday. "After their investigation we'll see what comes out," he said. Added Steve Canter, Cantu's agent: "The charges are false. We're going to respect the legal process here and let it work itself through. He's not going to miss any time. This won't interfere with baseball in any way." Signed as a non-roster free agent, Cantu won the vacant third base job and had started each of the Marlins' first 15 games there. Friday, Wes Helms got the start to give Cantu a breather. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,2299886.story I guess the important part is that he's not supposed to miss any time but it's certainly something to keep an eye on. If he has to miss time, we're in deep sh*t. The idea of Helms as an every day starter scares the crap out of me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.